PDA

View Full Version : JFKTower.com ?

Speedbird1
2008-12-09, 11:28 AM
Suddenly, I am unable to log-on to JFK Tower.com. A message appears about their account. What is going on? My e-mails to them have gone unanswered.

Derf
2008-12-09, 02:45 PM
Wow, Blast from the past..... I have not gone back there since they told me I had to pay to be a member after I was for already for a long time.....and that was it.

I had no Idea they were still around :?

MarkLawrence
2008-12-09, 03:36 PM
I think Andy is in touch with the admins there - I did email him about it...not sure if he has been able to contact anyone.

T-Bird76
2008-12-09, 04:16 PM
My question is why is this even being discussed on this site and in this forum?

wunaladreamin
2008-12-09, 06:44 PM
Because, for some of us who aren't jaded, planespotting and enjoying communities with like minded people is a hobby. For once, homeboy asked a straight-up, valid question and for what? To get crapped on? It's not like JFKTower is any kind of competition to what NYCA is. Anyone thinking so need to pass me the bottle they're sipping from. People taking themselves and this hobby that seriously here are going to ruin this site for a lot of people.

Chill out man. It ain't that serious and we're all here for the same thing (I'd like to think).

Lezam
2008-12-09, 07:38 PM
Looks like the owner didnt pay his bill

Gerard
2008-12-09, 08:18 PM
Can someone give me some background on JFKTower.com and why the animosity by some?

T-Bird76
2008-12-09, 08:40 PM
Can someone give me some background on JFKTower.com and why the animosity by some?

There's no animosity what so ever as implied immaturely by some. My question was that I find it off topic that a technical question be asked about another site in an aviation forum. Sort of like posting on JP.net "Why is A.net down?"

As for JFKTower.com it was a very early site about aviation in the New York area with news, ATC feeds, and forums. The site for some years now has gone downhill in terms of popularity. As Derf pointed out at one time it was free then it changed to a pay site. There were management issues and the original owner if I remember correctly a controller for JFK Tower was released of his duties at JFK Tower...not sure if it was related to a conflict of interest or not.

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-09, 08:41 PM
I don't think there's animosity. I can udnerstand why someone would question why one would talk about another local aviaiton site here, but JFKTower.com is not ultimately competition, so it's ok. There really isn't a problem.

I hope things are well on the JFKT side.

Gerard
2008-12-09, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys.

Speedbird1
2008-12-10, 09:08 AM
T-bird 76 feels that we shouldn't be discussing another aviation website here. I totally disagree as "JFKtower.com" is part of the NYCAviation.com complex, so it's totally appropriate. Regarding why they started charging fees, the reason is that several posters went "out-of-control" and started harrassing posters for no reason. I myself was verbally attacked many times for no reason. I was even called derogatory names. There seems to be hard feelings because fees were charged but it was only so the administrators could track-down those who were causing problems.

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-10, 09:43 AM
Some may feel that JFKTower.com is a competing site. If so, I can understand some feeling it being rude to discuss such a site here, and I appreciate people's concern. As I said, JFKTower is very different from us and is ultimately not a problem here. I don't understand what it means when it's said that they are in the "NYCA complex", but I'd rather move on from this aspect of the conversation.

As for payment on a site, I can certainly see the benefits of it when it comes to keeping out trouble. It works, too. I personally prefer and do choose different moderating strategies to handle such issues, but that's their decision.

It's not easy to run a site, and if something such as a small charge turns you awayan that's fine. But I do say where they were coming from with that idea.