PDA

View Full Version : Retroplanes, Colorschemes and the like

mirrodie
2008-12-01, 11:00 AM
I didnt want to detract from the current Lot C/s thread, but I have to wonder...

many do not understand this hobby. We are out there taking photos and enjoying the jets while hte public just can't get it.

Yet, Airlines spend time and money to pump out new color schemes, retro jets and add stickers for various causes. But who else besides spotters notice an AA or AF retrojet? Or a pink or yelllow ribbon on a jet?

I wonder, if the public doesn't even look at planes, then who exactly are the airlines trying to portray their planes to?

MarkLawrence
2008-12-01, 11:27 AM
I will say that my wife and several of her friends are very cognisant of the Breast Cancer Awareness schemes - because they have been promoted through the Susan G Komen Foundation - if they see something new in the promotional material, I'll always get a question whether I've shot that. But - that is a very well promoted cause.

I didn't know about the yellow ribbon on the AA jet until I saw a picture of it. I guess the press releases have been hidden away somewhere on a website for it - or I missed the AA email explaining it.

If the airlines aren't going to promote the reasoning too well - people are going to miss the reasoning behind the scheme and there will be the usual "That's nice" reply.

My 0.02c

cancidas
2008-12-01, 03:39 PM
many of them, like the US Heritage schemes are more meant for the employees than the general public. don't forget, there are still people working for US that were hired by PDT, AWE and ALO. they are meant to celebrate what US has grown out of.