PDA

View Full Version : Obamas Picks private School for Daughters

Midnight Mike
2008-11-21, 09:46 PM
ABC News can report that the Obamas have selected Sidwell Friends for their daughters Sasha and Malia to attend.

Sidwell is where Chelsea Clinton attended school during the Clinton administration.

"A number of great schools were considered," said Obama Transition Team aide Katie McCormick Lelyveld. "In the end, the Obamas selected the school that was the best fit for what their daughters need right now."

An Obama aide added, "Mrs. Obama is the product of public education on the South Side of Chicago and she believes strongly in the importance of good public schools for all kids.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... k-sid.html (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/11/obamas-pick-sid.html)

NIKV69
2008-11-21, 11:30 PM
Mrs. Obama is the product of public education on the South Side of Chicago and she believes strongly in the importance of good public schools for all kids.

Except of course her own.

moose135
2008-11-22, 12:52 AM
Given the security concerns involving the children of a president attending school, a smaller, private school is probably the best way to go, and would likely cause less disruption than attending a public school. Given Chelsea Clinton attended, both the school and the Secret Service have recent experience in dealing with the issues involved with presidential children in attendance.

mirrodie
2008-11-22, 10:12 AM
Except of course her own.

Well, aren't we the bitter little biatch.

Gerard
2008-11-22, 10:47 AM
Given the security concerns involving the children of a president attending school, a smaller, private school is probably the best way to go, and would likely cause less disruption than attending a public school. Given Chelsea Clinton attended, both the school and the Secret Service have recent experience in dealing with the issues involved with presidential children in attendance.

Ya beat me too it but that is exactly right.

Midnight Mike
2008-11-22, 11:02 AM

Past Presidents have sent their children to public school, I believe President Jimmy Carter sent his kids to public school & I do not remember reading of any problems.

As far as the Secret Service, the Clintons were in office 8 years ago, chances are that the agents that served under Clinton would have retired & fresh agents will be assigned to Obama, also, different schedules & routes will be used as well. So, no matter which school the Obama children went to, new procedures & routes will be required.

During the campaign the left tried to portray McCain as an elitist, with this, looks like Obama may actually be one.

My beef is not that the Obamas are sending their children to Public School, it is on the campaign trail, they said they were considering Public School and wanted to send their kids to Public School. But, once elected, off to Public School the kids go.

mirrodie
2008-11-22, 11:26 AM
But, once elected, off to Public School the kids go.

You mean private?

As a pupil of private school, don't worry. You are not missing much. Its what you make of it.

NIKV69
2008-11-22, 03:20 PM
Given the security concerns involving the children of a president attending school, a smaller, private school is probably the best way to go,

Smoke screen

Not at all just pointing out how Michelle Obama like her husband says one thing but does another.

During the campaign the left tried to portray McCain as an elitist, with this, looks like Obama may actually be one.

McCain is as far as you can get from an elitist, yet Obama is most definately an eilitst.

The proof is in how the media is referring the school as an "elite quaker school" need we say more?

MarkLawrence
2008-11-22, 04:38 PM
yet Obama is most definately an eilitst.

The proof is in how the media is referring the school as an "elite quaker school" need we say more?

Huh? The media is referring to the school as an "elite quaker school" and that is linked to Obama being an elitist as how???

mirrodie
2008-11-22, 06:37 PM
[quote]Given the security concerns involving the children of a president attending school, a smaller, private school is probably the best way to go,
Smoke screen

Not at all just pointing out how Michelle Obama like her husband says one thing but does another.

McCain is as far as you can get from an elitist, yet Obama is most definately an eilitst.
The proof is in how the media is referring the school as an "elite quaker school" need we say more?[/quote:34nem88n]

So Moose, Mario and Mike are all wrong in their views. Right. It's going to be a bitter 4 to 8 years for Nick. :wink:

BTW, Mark, just so you know, you are probably wrong too. :mrgreen:

cancidas
2008-11-22, 11:09 PM
As a pupil of private school, don't worry. You are not missing much. Its what you make of it.
i've been through both private (catholic) and public (nyc) schools. it is what you make of it, but i can honestly say that private grade school DID NOT prepare me for high school.

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-23, 12:21 PM
If people have the means to attend private school, then go for it. I couldn't care less where he sends his kids.

Is it that people's disapproval is out of jealousy for not being able to attend themselves? I don't see the big deal. Does it mean he'll put less effort into improving public education? No.

Tom_Turner
2008-11-23, 05:57 PM
I agree with Phil - They should send their kids to the best school they can. No one should use their own children to make a political statement.

It still amazes me that Carter seemed to do that.

Tom
Still in favor of vouchers though.....