PDA

View Full Version : Retail Store closings

T-Bird76
2008-11-19, 02:30 PM
I was forwared this list of store closings that were filed with the FTC, some we know but some are new and a few I was shocked to see.

Circuit City stores 155 stores
Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered
Lane Bryant,, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 store nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
Cache will close all stores
Talbots closing down all stores
J. Jill closing all stores
GAP closing 85 stores
Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
Wickes Furniture closing down
Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores
Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.
Whitehall closing all stores
Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)
Macys to close 9 stores after January
Linens and Things closing all stores
Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pacific Sunware closing stores
Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores
JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stores
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Lowes to close down some stores
Dillard's to close some stores.
Mervyn's closing all stores

wunaladreamin
2008-11-19, 05:04 PM
Recession?

What recession?

Midnight Mike
2008-11-19, 05:14 PM
Recession?

What recession?

The slowdown in the economy & the store closings may not have anything to do with each other :wink: ....

Just one example, Sharper Image took a dump when they were sued due to their Air Cleaner products were emitting ozone.

LGA777
2008-11-19, 07:32 PM
Wow thanks for the list Tommy, I was not aware of most of those, not a good time to work in retail !

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2008-11-20, 02:18 PM
Use those gift cards now!

NIKV69
2008-11-20, 03:15 PM
The slowdown in the economy & the store closings may not have anything to do with each other ....

Just one example, Sharper Image took a dump when they were sued due to their Air Cleaner products were emitting ozone.

Yea really they were dead a long time ago.

Places like foot locker are dying because of a place called Dick's. Circuit city and other retailers are dying because of the internet and super stores like Best Buy. I think Home Depot is a victim of over saturation. I mean we have one in Copaigue and then another right down the highway? Most of the company were bleeding bad long before the downturn in the economy hit like GM. Let them die. We are partly to blame. When is the last time you walked into a brick and mortar place to shop? It's all click clilck now.

Midnight Mike
2008-11-20, 03:28 PM
Yea really they were dead a long time ago.

Places like foot locker are dying because of a place called Dick's. Circuit city and other retailers are dying because of the internet and super stores like Best Buy. I think Home Depot is a victim of over saturation. I mean we have one in Copaigue and then another right down the highway? Most of the company were bleeding bad long before the downturn in the economy hit like GM. Let them die. We are partly to blame. When is the last time you walked into a brick and mortar place to shop? It's all click clilck now.

Something else to add, I went into Linen & things last week due to their 80% off store closing sales & that was the first time I ever went into the store, another observation, the store was looked & had the same layout as Bed, Bath, & Beyond...