PDA

View Full Version : Bill's Business Deals Might Cost Hill SECSTATE Job

Matt Molnar
2008-11-17, 01:39 PM
Democratic officials make it sound like the job has been all but offered to her. But the ball is in her court to show that the former president’s many foreign and financial entanglements would not pose huge conflicts of interest if she were the nation’s chief diplomat, the officials said.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15680.html

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-17, 01:51 PM
I really hope she is not in the cabinet in any way.

Midnight Mike
2008-11-17, 03:08 PM
The business dealings that Bill Clinton were involved in were shaky at best, kind of the reason that he was being shuttled around by corporate aircraft registered outside of the UK...

In addition, selecting Senator Clinton would go against Obama's "change" mantra......

lijk604
2008-11-17, 06:18 PM
In addition, selecting Senator Clinton would go against Obama's mantra......

Exactly...Obama ran on a campaign of change. How would selecting Clinton be seen as a change?
Funny how long time DC democrats seem to be lining up for Obama's cabinet posts. Yeah, some change.

Matt Molnar
2008-11-17, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately, it is beginning to sound like a done deal...

Hillary Clinton plans to accept the job of secretary of state offered by Barack Obama, who is reaching out to former rivals to build a broad coalition administration, the Guardian has learned.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/no ... y-of-state (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/17/hillary-clinton-secretary-of-state)

Midnight Mike
2008-11-17, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, it is beginning to sound like a done deal...

That is a huge mistake on the part of Obama, considering there are more qualified people out there & Senator Clinton does not have that much more experience than President-elect Obama.

Also, how is selecting Senator Clinton reaching out to your rivals? Did not Senator Clinton campaign & support Obama.

Boy, the media is really Obama a pass with the potential Clinton selection.

Matt Molnar
2008-11-17, 10:59 PM
Not completely.... I guess following Politico's lead, CNN did a pretty good story (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/17/clinton.cabinet/index.html) about the potential problems Bill's charitable foundation could cause if Hillary were to get this job. He has already raised a mind-boggling $500 million for his library and who knows what else, and up to this point the donors have been top secret, but likely include powerful people who don't always have the best interests of the United States at heart. CNN cites a NY Times article that reported that many Saudi, Kuwaiti, Qataris and other Middle Eastern VIPs had donated big bucks. How do we know these donations were not made on the backs of promises of influence in the future? After all, many of these people probably expected Hillary to be President-elect at this point. They wouldn't be getting that level of influence, but #4 in the line of succession ain't too shabby. Furthermore, how would we know future donations wouldn't be made with similar motivations?

This is pretty rotten. The Clintons must have made Obama an offer he couldn't refuse.

NIKV69
2008-11-17, 11:54 PM

They have given him a pass on everything. This will be no different. I am so happy though that we finally got her out of my state. See ya Hillary. Now if Obama can just give jobs to Schumer, Nadler and Rangel.

Matt Molnar
2008-11-18, 12:03 AM
They have given him a pass on everything. This will be no different. I am so happy though that we finally got her out of my state. See ya Hillary. Now if Obama can just give jobs to Schumer, Nadler and Rangel.
The bad news is Gov. Paterson gets to pick her replacement, and it's most likely going to be someone else you and I won't like very much. Early speculation pegs the possible frontrunner as Nydia Velazquez, the Bronx Congresswoman who, during Hillary's senate run, exerted pressure to get then-President Bill to pardon the FALN terrorists in exchange for her support.