PDA

View Full Version : NYCAviation.com holiday get together. Date thoughts?

mirrodie
2008-11-12, 05:58 PM
The holidays are a coming and I'd like to take a week to find out what dates might work for a get together.

Historically we've gone to this great restaurant called Peninsula. It's been consistent with service and food and ther noise levels are not such that we are screaming over each other. And the table can be set that we are fairly all close in for conversation.

However, I know that this east location can prove to be an issuue for our bretheren in Queens.

So another thought might be Black Forest Brew House near FRG. Good beer, decent food but it might get loud.

NIck, I know you leave at some point, when is that date?

T-Bird76
2008-11-12, 09:09 PM
I say we nail the date for the first week in Dec, either Dec 5th or Dec 7th.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-11-12, 10:33 PM
Sometime in between Christmas and New Years...... cause it's the only time I'll be home...

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-13, 01:14 AM
I do have to say that I think early December would probably be better as most people are away later in the month. But I want Clark there!

If LI is chosen, I can fit 1 comfortably and 4 others uncomfortably in my truck. Let me know.

NIKV69
2008-11-13, 10:00 AM
I am leaving December 8th so last possible day I can do it the night of the 6th. Please consider everyone in the date not just myself. I would love to attend but the date should work for everyone. I don't care about location of restuarant but I would go against Black Forest, not a bad place but for a gathering like this I would prefer more of a dining room like Peniusla and a little more upscale on the food.

cancidas
2008-11-13, 10:56 AM
i'm able to show up for most of the month depending on what day, usually taking saturdays off from work but can't make it a late night as i have to be in early the next morning.

lijk604
2008-11-13, 12:12 PM
My attendance is all dependant on the date. Hopefully it works out.

mirrodie
2008-11-13, 01:22 PM
Let me thrown out a date. how about the evening of Wednesday Dec 3. Would that work?

If not, Friday Dec 6?

LGA777
2008-11-13, 07:10 PM
Let me thrown out a date. how about the evening of Wednesday Dec 3. Would that work?

If not, Friday Dec 6?

Mario the 6th is a Saturday, there aren't 3 days between Wed and Fri Doc.

Hopefully I can finally attend one of these, will wait for the final date then decide.

Cheers

LGA777

lijk604
2008-11-13, 07:49 PM
The 3rd is not great for me, that Friday or Saturday is better.

moose135
2008-11-13, 08:04 PM
Right now, any of those days look good to me.

T-Bird76
2008-11-14, 12:49 PM
Friday or Sat only work for me, M-Th nights generally aren't good for me. That Wed isn't good.

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-14, 12:58 PM
Same for me. Only Fri or Sat.

mirrodie
2008-11-14, 04:47 PM
OK, is Friday night or Sat evening better?

12/5 or 12/6

MarkLawrence
2008-11-14, 05:19 PM
I think you should all pack up your cameras, come down to FLL, PBI and MIA for a weekend of spotting and we'll have dinner on the Saturday night of the weekend you are all down here! :borat: :lol:

NIKV69
2008-11-16, 10:26 PM
Spoke to my brother tonight about restuarants and came up with this.

http://www.grandluxcafe.com/

He said it's easy to get to. Meadowbrook to Old country road so the location is pretty neutral for all. He said the dining room isn't as loud as say PF Changs or The cheescake factory and prices are pretty fair and food good. Just throwing it out there as a maybe.

mirrodie
2008-11-17, 01:15 PM
NIck, I agree its an AWESOME locale, but I think the sound levels are high.

We'll be screaming over to one another. We were there a few months ago, with an office staff of 13. Very difficult to make out what was being said 3 seats away.

That said, any other suggestions for that Roosevelt Field Mall area?

NIKV69
2008-11-17, 01:25 PM
That is unfortunate. My brother said the dining room is big is there any private rooms? Unfortunately in that area you are dealing with places like PF Changs and Cheesecake factory and they are equally as loud.

mirrodie
2008-11-17, 01:47 PM
My brother said the dining room is big is there any private rooms?

None that I am aware of.

There is a diner less than a mile from there, corner of Glen Cove Rd and Old Country, we can see if they have private room.

T-Bird76
2008-11-17, 03:47 PM
What happened to Peninsula? Are we not doing that now?

NIKV69
2008-11-17, 03:54 PM
What happened to Peninsula?

We are making an attempt to find a place similiar to Penisula but more nuetral on the location. I am all for Penisula for we can get a private room with total privacy and great food without breaking our wallet.

There is a diner less than a mile from there, corner of Glen Cove Rd and Old Country

Diner? I was hoping to find a nice place. Speaking of Glen Cove rd isn't there a nice place on there near the northern state called Paparazzi or something?

mirrodie
2008-11-17, 07:06 PM
When I began this thread, I said I would give it a week, so I am glad we've had some input.

Nick's idea is a good one, but can I get a sense of who is coming? I mean, where are most of us coming from? If no one is really coming from Queens, perhaps Peninsula might be best. Its a sure thing.

If not, I think we can find something in the area Nick mentioned, a bit more intimate than Luxe and a bit more upscale than a diner.

NIKV69
2008-11-17, 08:08 PM
Here I found it.

http://www.paparazzitrattoria.com/index ... cdid=10356 (http://www.paparazzitrattoria.com/index.cfm?pk=content&cd=LOCATION&pid=10245&cdid=10356)

Zagat says they are good and moderate on the wallet.

lijk604
2008-11-18, 04:32 PM
Being it looks like a Saturday, count me in Mario.

cancidas
2008-11-18, 07:30 PM
i can definately make it wednesday or thursday night. friday is out of the question as i work late. saturday will take some finagling but is doable.

mirrodie
2008-11-18, 09:09 PM
The papparazzi chain looks OK. Has anyone actually been there?

Let me consult my wife as she works in the area and has taken her staff out to dinner right near that restaurant.

Before we ditch Peninsula altogether, are there Queensiders/NJers coming for sure? I'd be a shame to change a good venue like Peninsula, in order to accomodate folks that may not even come.

In other words, by changing it to the Roosevelt Field area, are more of you guys from the city(queens, Brooklyn, Bronx....you know, little Long island) likely to come?

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-18, 09:30 PM
I can only confirm once I know the date. Have we set one yet?

NIKV69
2008-11-18, 09:55 PM
I ate there once about 3 years ago and remember it being good. Current Zagat ratings are 18s across the board. Food, decor and service. 16-19 is good to very good for Zagat. Their comment is as follows

This "relaxed" Westbury northern Italian eatery attracts both a young crowd and sizable family scene for standard, moderately priced meals amid chandeliers, white tablecloths and lots of elbow room. It's courteous service means this one "chain restaurant you won't hate and the bar is nice for get togethers.

mirrodie
2008-11-19, 11:43 AM
Ok, its been a week, as I said I would give it.

Seems the date of Dec. 6, Saturday PM, is better for most. ( I would think battling traffic on Friday night would be a problem for most)

So date is Sat Dec 6. We'll talk time later, figure dinnertime 630-700pm?.

The place has still yet to be determined. To reinerate, by changing it to the Roosevelt Field area, are more of you guys from the city(queens, Brooklyn, Bronx....you know, little Long island) likely to come?

No one has responded and while I agree Nick is trying to make it easier for everyone, will it be beneficial or are we chasing our tails for nada? Makes no difference to me as Westbury is closer to my place anyway.

Some feedback please? A little communication goes along way.

moose135
2008-11-19, 04:49 PM
That date should work for me. Since I'm coming from NE Nassau, the Roosevelt Field area is closer, but obviously I have no problem heading out to Peninsula, in fact, since that's a known entity, I'd probably prefer it.

LGA777
2008-11-19, 06:49 PM
You guys have fun. I was really hoping to make this one and was even going to swap a night off from work to attend but as luck with have it I have two Christmas parties I am already commited to on the 6th and 13th. Maybe next year.

LGA777

cancidas
2008-11-19, 08:32 PM
i don't mind taking the trip out to the island. the date works for me, i'll probably be taking the day off to do some work on the house so i'll be able to be out east around 7, traffic dependant though.

as far as where we're going i'll leave that up to you guys. i do have to work sunday morning, so i'm not planning on a very long night. hopefully i can drag the correlian with me.

T-Bird76
2008-11-22, 10:54 PM
Well since no one has said a thing...myself and Nick will be at Penninsula on Dec 6th at 6 pm for drinks and dinner after. If people would like to join great but Mario has gave everyone enough time and consideration to respond and most haven't.

Saturday Dec 6th
Penninsula, Bayshore, New York
6 PM for drinks and then dinner.

DONE!

cancidas
2008-11-22, 11:04 PM
DONE!
dude... can you be a bit more specific as to the locale? this city slicker doesn't know where penninsula is. half my time on the island is spent sitting at a red instead of turning right...

moose135
2008-11-22, 11:09 PM
dude... can you be a bit more specific as to the locale? this city slicker doesn't know where penninsula is. half my time on the island is spent sitting at a red instead of turning right...
Peninsula Restaurant
55 W Main St (Rt 27A - Montauk Highway)
Bay Shore, NY 11706
(631) 666-8811

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe ... 1&ct=image (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=peninsula+restaurant+bay+shore&fb=1&cid=0,0,10492025327705826323&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image)

NIKV69
2008-11-22, 11:15 PM

Mapquest it but the jist of it is LIE to seaford oyster bay south to SS east to Robert moses south to 27A east go into town and its there. I will call soon to touch base

Also if we could get commitments on who is def going we can get a table in either the room or corner where they can put up a parition.

lijk604
2008-11-23, 10:28 PM
Sat the 6th, 6pm...I'm in.

mirrodie
2008-11-24, 02:18 PM
but Mario has gave everyone enough time and consideration to

Thanks. I hope people realize that I was trying to consider the options, with Nick's help. Since no one chimed in otherwise, I suppose there is no reason to deviate from a consistently good option.

Now the big question.....Aw, I think little man is staying home that night.

moose135
2008-11-24, 04:09 PM
I should be there...

NIKV69
2008-11-24, 05:03 PM
Since no one chimed in otherwise, I suppose there is no reason to deviate from a consistently good option

Yep which is why Tommy took the bull by the horns. Ok I can stop in and reserve a table in a nice location of the dining room. If you are defintately going to attend please post I can stop in this weeekend to make arrangements.

Right now it's

Myself
Mario, I assume with Shosh
Tommy
Matt Celmer
Moose
John Klos

I know Phil said the date would work for him and also Art and Anne Brett may attend they need a few days to make sure the night works for them.

cancidas
2008-11-24, 05:44 PM
Since no one chimed in otherwise, I suppose there is no reason to deviate from a consistently good option

Yep which is why Tommy took the bull by the horns. Ok I can stop in and reserve a table in a nice location of the dining room. If you are defintately going to attend please post I can stop in this weeekend to make arrangements.

Right now it's

Myself
Mario, I assume with Shosh
Tommy
Matt Celmer
Moose
John Klos

I know Phil said the date would work for him and also Art and Anne Brett may attend they need a few days to make sure the night works for them.
i'm going to be trying my best to bring Joe Demartino along with me.

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-24, 06:15 PM
I'm there. Literally. I'm two weeks early. WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?!

Midnight Mike
2008-11-24, 08:42 PM
If you guys plan something for January/2009, I will be in New York visiting relative.....

T-Bird76
2008-11-25, 10:06 AM
If you guys plan something for January/2009, I will be in New York visiting relative.....

Mikey you're coming up in Jan! The thought alone makes me quiver with excitement!

Midnight Mike
2008-11-25, 02:15 PM
[quote="Midnight Mike":ap8iffzq]If you guys plan something for January/2009, I will be in New York visiting relative.....

Mikey you're coming up in Jan! The thought alone makes me quiver with excitement![/quote:ap8iffzq]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/292px-George_Takei.jpg

mirrodie
2008-11-25, 02:26 PM
Tom, Mike, the words quiver and a picture of Sulu. :shock:

If you time it right, guys, we can have you walking hand in hand at the parade too. :wink:

eric8669
2008-11-26, 09:08 AM
I will be there.

NIKV69
2008-11-26, 09:54 AM
Ok updated list.

Myself
Mario and Shosh
Tommy A
John Klos
Moose
Phil
Matt Celmer
Joe D
Eric

If you are attending please speak up. Art and Anne will know by next week so I will reserve the seats in case they come. Sorry I wil miss Mike in Jan. Would love to see you Mike. If you get to the LAS area give me a shout.

Derf
2008-11-26, 02:57 PM
I give myself an 80% chance or higher... :borat:

NIKV69
2008-11-26, 03:18 PM
I give myself an 80% chance or higher

Now I am pumped! Fred I sure hope you can make it. Your first drink is on me.

NIKV69
2008-11-30, 12:11 PM
Ok I will assume Fred can make it and with Art and Anne if they can we will be near 12 or 13 so I will reserve the table and this restuarant won't have any trouble accomadating any stragglers. If anyone needs info or is coming just post it here. Tommy, Moose and myself ate there the other night and the chinese was good as usual.

T-Bird76
2008-12-01, 08:24 PM
Ok I will assume Fred can make it and with Art and Anne if they can we will be near 12 or 13 so I will reserve the table and this restuarant won't have any trouble accomadating any stragglers. If anyone needs info or is coming just post it here. Tommy, Moose and myself ate there the other night and the chinese was good as usual.

So was my Sushi Nick ;)

NIKV69
2008-12-01, 09:37 PM
Not as good as Aji53! I am going to stop in tomorrow and reserve 12 peeps. Should be enough, Art and Anne are not coming so with any stragglers we will have more than enough space.

PhilDernerJr
2008-12-02, 05:12 PM
I will have a guest with me, so make it Phil +1.

NIKV69
2008-12-02, 06:09 PM
No prob Phil, the table is big and there is plenty of room. Made the reservation today. Arrive 6-6:30 drinks at bar and sit when all are ready.

mirrodie
2008-12-02, 08:50 PM
Nick, they actually ahve a private room? Or are you talking about the large corner area at the back, left?

lijk604
2008-12-02, 09:03 PM
Gents...due to a FORTUNATE circumstance, I will not make the dinner. I may swing by at 6 to share in a holiday beverage, but then I have to split and get to my "NEW COMPANY" Christmas Party. Yes, I got a job, started yesterday. Phew! You will see a post about this under Off-Topic as well.

NIKV69
2008-12-02, 09:21 PM
Nick, they actually ahve a private room? Or are you talking about the large corner area at the back, left?

No they have a private room. Other side in the corner. Pretty nice. Mimi said it would be a bit more quiet on a Sat night.

Gents...due to a FORTUNATE circumstance, I will not make the dinner. I may swing by at 6 to share in a holiday beverage, but then I have to split and get to my "NEW COMPANY" Christmas Party. Yes, I got a job, started yesterday. Phew! You will see a post about this under Off-Topic as well.

Great news John. Glad you found something. Hopefully it's a good spot.