PDA

View Full Version : President To Visit Intrepid Tuesday

Gerard
2008-11-08, 03:05 PM
As part of Veterans Day ceremonies on the newly reopened Intrepid Tuesday President Bush will be making a visit. He is set to receive the 2008 Intrepid Freedom Award and it is only the second time a sitting President has visited the Intrepid. The ship will be closed to the public until 2PM.
I wonder if he will fly on Marine 1 and land directly on the deck. That would be cool.

cancidas
2008-11-08, 03:36 PM
I wonder if he will fly on Marine 1 and land directly on the deck. That would be cool
that it would, a be a perfect way to avoid any congestion. i'm sure the pilots wouldn't mind...

Jetinder
2008-11-09, 12:44 AM
I thought you meant president Obama and not president Bush

Matt Molnar
2008-11-09, 11:34 PM
Obama's not the President yet.

Gerard
2008-11-09, 11:46 PM
Obama's not the President yet.

And I did write "Bush" in the text.
Oh well.

Jetinder
2008-11-10, 08:07 AM
I thought as soon as Obama was elected he would be president as some of the UK press say its "president Obama", i thought Bush would take time to leave the white house all nice and redecorated for Obama.............

In the UK after the elections we get a new Prime minster with in 24-48 hrs of the election.

flyboy 28
2008-11-10, 08:36 AM
I thought as soon as Obama was elected he would be president as some of the UK press say its "president Obama", i thought Bush would take time to leave the white house all nice and redecorated for Obama.............

In the UK after the elections we get a new Priminster with in 24-48s of the election.

His current title is President-elect. It's like that until Jan. 20 when he gets inaugurated. And Bush is still officially President until that day.

http://www.archives.gov/calendar/features/2005/01/images/carter-inauguration-large.jpg

ch2tdriver
2008-11-11, 11:20 AM
Too bad the I doesn't have an S-3 Viking or an F-102. Might make for a good photo op?

(They can also hang up that Mission Accomplished banner - DOH!!) :wink:

Matt Molnar
2008-11-11, 07:21 PM
From the President's remarks today:

Even as a museum, the Intrepid still answered the call to service. I'm pretty certain most Americans don't understand what I'm about to tell you, but on September the 11th, when we came attacked just a few blocks from here, the Intrepid was used as an emergency command center. First responders launched helicopters from the decks. It became clear that this ship -- which helped defeat the great totalitarian threats of the 20th century -- was front and center in the opening moments of a new struggle against the forces of hatred and fear.
Is that true? I had never heard that before, and didn't think there was enough room on the decks for that?

Gerard
2008-11-11, 08:40 PM
From the President's remarks today:

Even as a museum, the Intrepid still answered the call to service. I'm pretty certain most Americans don't understand what I'm about to tell you, but on September the 11th, when we came attacked just a few blocks from here, the Intrepid was used as an emergency command center. First responders launched helicopters from the decks. It became clear that this ship -- which helped defeat the great totalitarian threats of the 20th century -- was front and center in the opening moments of a new struggle against the forces of hatred and fear.
Is that true? I had never heard that before, and didn't think there was enough room on the decks for that?

There is plenty of room. The Pres today landed on the deck and I do remember after 9/11 PD Aviation flew off the deck of the
Intrepid many times. West 30 St was also busy with PD/miiltary/govt ships the days /weeks after 9/11 and the Javits Center was
also used as a Command Post. I made one trip down to W30st not long after 9/11 and as I walked up West 34 street by the Javits
Center I never saw so many out of state emergency vehicles parked up and down the street.