PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights JFK 11/7 review

AirtrafficController
2008-11-07, 11:36 PM
I headed out today to check out the view from the new T5 parking garage and boy it was great. The view of gates was awesome. Too bad the weather wasn't better as I would of stayed longer. Here are a few pics from the outing:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/010a-1.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/018a.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/022q.jpg
The new T5:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/038a.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/041a.jpg
Ugg..... I wish it hadn't started raining at this moment:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/AirtrafficController/046a-2.jpg

MarkLawrence
2008-11-07, 11:50 PM
Nice night shots Luke!!

AirtrafficController
2008-11-08, 08:21 PM
Thanks Mark.

Futterman
2008-11-08, 10:19 PM
Those are GREAT shots! Haven't been there yet, but this new parking garage is adding a nice, new dimension to photography at JFK. It's nice to have a background for once...

Brian

Delta777LR
2008-11-09, 01:03 AM
The A380 and AI 77LR looks kind of like my kind of shots I took back in 9/28.. Lol

Nice shots dude!

JZ1
2008-11-09, 11:20 AM
Excellent shots. Were you using the tripod there? I suppose nobody bothered you...

AirtrafficController
2008-11-09, 11:24 AM
Excellent shots. Were you using the tripod there? I suppose nobody bothered you...

Thanks all for the nice comments!
I mostly used the ledge to take most of my shots. I used the tripod for the A380 shot as it was further away. No one bothered me at all but still be aware that it is airport property.

moose135
2008-11-09, 11:38 AM
Very nice, Luke! I'll have to check out this spot. I wonder how long someone would last there during the day?

T-Bird76
2008-11-09, 11:52 AM
Very nice, Luke! I'll have to check out this spot. I wonder how long someone would last there during the day?

Its def not a spot for a large group. You prob can last there a good long time during the day as the parking spots are setup in a way you can easily back your car in and shoot from the car. When I went up there, Mark and I saw a few people spotting.

tipek
2008-11-09, 01:05 PM
You guys should make it official spotting spot for JFK. Here is your chance to step in and win small battle in a big war.
How do you think we've got parking garage at IAD? We just moved in and fought for it.

Rafal

G-BOAD
2008-11-10, 10:26 AM
i'm glad the night spotting worked out, and you brought back some great shots!

NIKV69
2008-11-10, 11:03 AM
You guys should make it official spotting spot for JFK. Here is your chance to step in and win small battle in a big war.
How do you think we've got parking garage at IAD? We just moved in and fought for it.

Very foolish statement. It would be a bad move to put this spot on any spotting map or publicize it in any way. Tommy gave you all some good advice. I would take it and not risk screwing up a nice spot. Rafal your statement seemed to imply you are entitled to a spot like this. Need we remind you that these spots are not public property?

T-Bird76
2008-11-10, 11:53 AM

Very foolish statement. It would be a bad move to put this spot on any spotting map or publicize it in any way. Tommy gave you all some good advice. I would take it and not risk screwing up a nice spot. Rafal your statement seemed to imply you are entitled to a spot like this. Need we remind you that these spots are not public property?

Amazingly I agree with Nick. This is not a public parking lot, its run by a private firm so caution must be taken when up there. It is truly a fantastic location with amazing views of JFK and I'd hate for some kind barrier be put up that blocks off the view.

eric8669
2008-11-10, 12:20 PM

Amazingly I agree with Nick. This is not a public parking lot, its run by a private firm so caution must be taken when up there. It is truly a fantastic location with amazing views of JFK and I'd hate from some kind barrier be put up that blocks off the view.

I am also going to agree with Tommy and Nick. I am pretty surprised that some of you guys are setting up tripods up there. It is a great location, so take caution and just watch your surroundings.

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-10, 05:50 PM
I'm going to agree with Nick, Tommy and Eric because I love looking at quote-box in a quote-box in a quote-box, etc. It's kinda trippy. (EDIT: When I went to submit this, I got an error that said "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other." Great admin I am! haha)

But seriously, I wouldn't fight over airport property locations, as said. I would stand my ground a bit in public parks and such, but not on-airport.

Because that spot is not public, I will not add it to any spotting map, either. I just hope all exercise caution.

NIKV69
2008-11-10, 06:51 PM
Nothing against Rafal but it sounded like he felt that shooting at this spot is an obligation when in fact it's a privelege. Also remember that 9/11 forever made NY much different than other cities. You can hang out on top of the parking garage at PHX or LAS and enjoy hassle free shooting but in NY we have to be a little more careful. I am not adverse to tripods at night as long as it is not a group and you use common sense. Maybe try to not shoot for long periods of time though I feel we will have less hassle at night than daylight. I also suggest we treat it like cargo plaza and not advertise it. I still admire Rafal's passion for the right to shoot but lets keep in mind the differences between a public park like Bayswater and this location. Big difference.