PDA

View Full Version : Sheppard Smith vs. Joe the Plumber

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-29, 06:36 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=26c_1225296606

I don't think it's fair to put Joe against the wall like that. Joe isn't a politican, nor did he ask for the spotlight. He cna believe whatever he wants to believe and he shouldn't have to explain himself the same way others are obligated to do.

mirrodie
2008-10-29, 08:37 PM
I don't think it's fair to put Joe against the wall like that. Joe isn't a politican, nor did he ask for the spotlight. He can believe whatever he wants to believe and he shouldn't have to explain himself the same way others are obligated to do.

1. OK, Joe KNEW the spotlight was on when he approached Obama with his questioning.

2. I believe it was McCain who created the national sensation, Joe the Plumber, during the debate. Had McCain not done so, Joe would be quiet at home right now.

3. Lastly, if Joe didnt want spotlights, then why did he agree to be interviewed with Sheppard? He put himself in that position.

Sorry, I can't feel sorry for Joe. Perhaps his stay in the spotlight is yielding him a few bucks so he can pay those $2100 in back taxes.

bonanzabucks
2008-10-29, 09:11 PM
Don't feel sorry for Sam "Joe" Wurzelbacher. Looks like he's milking this all he can and wants to sign a record deal. Seems like he wants to be the next country music superstar.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/15072.html

T-Bird76
2008-10-29, 10:19 PM
Mario how would "Joe" know that when Obama went up to him this would have blown up the way it did. The fact the media has exposed his personal life to such a great extent is disgraceful.

mirrodie
2008-10-29, 10:36 PM
Tom, once in front of a recording device, you take a risk.

Now, how did it blow up? McCain sparked it. Of course the media would follow up on it.

BUT.....Joe the plumber has every right to close the door and not talk to the media. His inability to shut his mouth is his prerogative. He seems quite the attention *****. I don't feel bad for the guy.

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-29, 11:35 PM
Regardless of whether or not McCain or Obama started it, the idea is that it wasn't Joe's fault. You can't fault a guy, saying his spotlight is his fault, because he wanted to ask a man a question who is running for President and wants his vote.

My point was that,whether he likes the attention or not, he doesn't owe people explanations for what he does or says.

mirrodie
2008-10-30, 09:43 AM
I can see where you and TOm are coming from. Did he ask for hte initial exposure? Probably not. But he had no clue the implications.

Moving forward from that very first day he met with Obama though, he had a choice to move away from the spotlight. He has not and thus there are ramifications.

T-Bird76
2008-10-30, 11:28 AM
I can see where you and TOm are coming from. Did he ask for hte initial exposure? Probably not. But he had no clue the implications.

Moving forward from that very first day he met with Obama though, he had a choice to move away from the spotlight. He has not and thus there are ramifications.

When it comes to the media it is impossible to move away from the spotlight. They choose to put him in the spotlight.

MarkLawrence
2008-10-30, 12:27 PM
And he is now milking it for all he can - last night I saw him on in front of the cameras making comments about US relations with Israel and then getting with some country stars to release a country album. Maybe he didn't want to be thrust into the spotlight - but he sure is taking all the advantages of it now!

mirrodie
2008-10-30, 03:27 PM
When it comes to the media it is impossible to move away from the spotlight. They choose to put him in the spotlight.

I disagree 100%. The spotlight may indeed follow you. But you have every chance and right not to perform in that spotlight.

"No comment" and walk away is everyman's choice.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-30, 05:03 PM
He has also talked about running for congress. :roll:

T-Bird76
2008-10-30, 09:15 PM

I disagree 100%. The spotlight may indeed follow you. But you have every chance and right not to perform in that spotlight.

"No comment" and walk away is everyman's choice.

Not in today's world...if you choose to say nothing they'll just dig it up. The smart thing to do is to confront it and control it.

NIKV69
2008-10-31, 07:48 AM
Now, how did it blow up? McCain sparked it. Of course the media would follow up on it.

Actually it blew up because Obama was asked a very fair and very straight question and he slipped and exposed his view on the economy. He said "spread the wealth" If he didn't answer in that way we wouldn't even know who Joe the plumber was. Obama wants the have nots to have at the expense of business. It's as plain as day to see it and Joe the plumber exposed it. That is why he is a celebrity. Has he milked it? Of course he has. I agree with you after the fact he is on his own and he is of course going to make every buck he can from this exposure. The media has created it.

MarkLawrence
2008-10-31, 09:32 AM
I couldn't believe it this morning taking my son to school - new political ad comes on for McCain - Hi - I'm Joe the Plumber - don't trust Obama, vote like me - for John McCain - so - now Joe the Plumber is doing political ads - now who is wanting the spotlight???

NIKV69
2008-10-31, 03:15 PM
so - now Joe the Plumber is doing political ads - now who is wanting the spotlight???

McCain is stroking him for everything he can. No surprise. You have to remember that Obama and his wife have said things that have shot themselves in the foot and the Joe the plumber moment is a perfect example. With days left before the vote look for McCain to pull out all the stops. I tell you this I bet if Joe does get his plumbing business off the ground he will be the most famous plumber out there.

mirrodie
2008-10-31, 03:20 PM
Actually it blew up because Obama was asked a very fair and very straight question and he slipped and exposed his view on the economy....The media has created it.

Sorry there, bud but you are dead wrong. Its basic cause and effect. Ooe the plumber was an unknown until the evening of the debate where he was thrust into the spotlight by McCain. While only a few people knew of the conversation between him and Obama the day before the debate, he was not a national household word until the night of the debate when mcCain mentioned him by name.

You can blame him Obama all you want, to this day, but a simple log of events proves you wrong.

And even today, McCain and still using his name in every speech.

T-Bird76
2008-10-31, 03:28 PM
so - now Joe the Plumber is doing political ads - now who is wanting the spotlight???

McCain is stroking him for everything he can. No surprise. You have to remember that Obama and his wife have said things that have shot themselves in the foot and the Joe the plumber moment is a perfect example. With days left before the vote look for McCain to pull out all the stops. I tell you this I bet if Joe does get his plumbing business off the ground he will be the most famous plumber out there.

If all McCain has left is "Joe the Plumber" then he might as well go back to Arizona right now...

NIKV69
2008-10-31, 04:44 PM
You can blame him Obama all you want, to this day, but a simple log of events proves you wrong.

Actually it is you "bud" that is wrong Mario. Do you seriously think that if Obama answered that question differently that McCain would have even cared who Joe the plumber was? Of course not. Obama slipped, and he slipped badly, and it was caught for all the nation to hear. That is why McCain is running with this guy. If Obama answered that question correctly Joe the plumber would have disappeared into obscurity because McCain would have no use for him.

If all McCain has left is "Joe the Plumber" then he might as well go back to Arizona right now...

But Tommy it is not Joe the Plumber, he is simply the symbol of what Obama said. McCain is using Joe the plumber as a way to show you that if you vote Obama, 40% gets taken out of your wages instead of 30% to pay for all this crap he is pitching. Believe me it's carrying more weight that you think.

Tom_Turner
2008-10-31, 08:43 PM
The initial question is now moot since "Joe-the-Plumber" has come to embrace this process. He is fair game.

I do also believe McCain did catch Obama out there. "Redistributing the wealth" is not a phrase that many Americans are at all comfortable with.

On the other hand, why is "wealth" "redistributed" from Wall Street to Upstate New York? The entire Tax System is a way of redistributing wealth from some to others... and its entirely 100% political. The only question is whose ox is going to get gored.

Of course moving too far can kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

My question locally is why on earth are rich people allowed to live in "rent controlled" apartments? Where is the "Free Market"? The only possible justification for subsidized housing would be to house the indigent. Is there any sane reason anyone else should subsidize a rich person living in a "rent controlled" apartment? We know Charlie Rangell thinks this a Great Thing. No surprise there.

But what makes our ex-MTA board members think they should ride public transportation for free the rest of their lives?

mirrodie
2008-10-31, 10:04 PM
He is fair game.

Precisely my point.

Do you seriously think that if Obama answered that question differently that McCain would have even cared who Joe the plumber was?

Your interpretation of the events is very interesting, to say the least. In your parlance, Joe the plumber( "JTB" henceforth) and his media spotlight was created by Obama's inappropriate answer, which not many knew prior to the debate. Once McCain told the nation of JTB at the debate, he became a household word.

But it was Obama's fault the day prior. Interesting and illogical.

I'll stand by my original statement. "McCain sparked it." Did Obama provide the firewood? Absolutely. But McCain sparked it and has since been working that fire.

Again, Nick, just work it out logically, its not all that difficult. TO get a fire going you need a source of fuel, oxygen and a spark. Your maverick sparked it.

It's OK though, we all know that regardless whats said, you are right! :borat:

Obama put out some prime firewood tonight by kicking off those 3 reporters off his plane.

lijk604
2008-11-01, 11:01 AM
Obama put out some prime firewood tonight by kicking off those 3 reporters off his plane.

Actually, this just goes to show, if you dont report what Obama wants the country to hear, not what actually happens, you are dismissed. Fair and balanced reporting, right?

And, honestly, with all this Joe the Plumber talk, if you were just crawling out from under a rock, you'd think he was the VP candidate, not Sarah Palin.

Regardless of who wins Tuesday, they are in for one hell of a time for 4 years. Both will be EXPECTED to turn this country around and make the differences they promise FAST. If after year #2 enough progress is not shown, they can kiss their 2nd term goodbye. From my point of view, I don't care who gets in, they are a one term president.