PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Arrested at ISP With Loaded Gun in Luggage

Matt Molnar
2008-10-20, 11:00 AM
Soldier arrested in LI airport (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/crime/ny-lisoldier1020,0,7157322.story)

BY MICHAEL AMON | [email protected]
10:55 PM EDT, October 19, 2008

An Army soldier on bereavement leave from her Iraq deployment was arrested yesterday at MacArthur Airport after federal baggage screeners found a loaded gun in her checked luggage, Suffolk police said.

Spc. Vonda Collier, who is from San Antonio, did not have a New York license to carry the Taurus revolver found in her baggage yesterday morning during a routine search by a Transportation Security Administration screener, police said.

The four-inch revolver was in a holster among her belongings and was Collier's personal weapon, not Army issued, police said. [Full Article (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/crime/ny-lisoldier1020,0,7157322.story)]

T-Bird76
2008-10-21, 09:07 AM
What a moron... What's with ISP lately...its been a parade of retards..

flyboy 28
2008-10-21, 09:41 AM
What a moron... What's with ISP lately...its been a parade of retards..

I'm not saying the spc was using the best judgement, but I'm not sure if it's fair to call a person who's serving our country a retard...

wunaladreamin
2008-10-21, 09:43 AM
[quote="T-Bird76":2fy59xs0]What a moron... What's with ISP lately...its been a parade of retards..

I'm not saying the spc was using the best judgement, but I'm not sure if it's fair to call a person who's serving our country a retard...[/quote:2fy59xs0]Concurred.

Side note...wouldn't she be covered to carry in NY under HR218?

T-Bird76
2008-10-21, 10:28 AM
[quote="T-Bird76":1obrn12x]What a moron... What's with ISP lately...its been a parade of retards..

I'm not saying the spc was using the best judgement, but I'm not sure if it's fair to call a person who's serving our country a retard...[/quote:1obrn12x]

I think it’s perfectly fair... Even though you're serving your country doesn't mean you get a free pass from using good judgment. Are all our soldiers mentally sane? No they aren't, they are normal people and who's to say this woman didn't want to do something at 35,000 feet? Are we to make exceptions because she wears a uniform?

Its ok to call the guy with the smoke bomb last week "moron, retard" or whatever else but this woman it isn't? Wow talk about hypocrisy... Her service is commendable but it doesn't give her a special privilege. She's a moron plain and simple. My other concern is if she's making poor judgments like this what kind of decisions is she making when on duty?? Food for thought.

moose135
2008-10-21, 12:49 PM
Side note...wouldn't she be covered to carry in NY under HR218?
Looking at the wording of HR 218, it applies to law enforcement officers only. Under the provisions of the Posse Comitatus Act, military persons are specifically prohibited (with certain exceptions) from acting in a domestic law enforcement capacity unless authorized by Congress or the Constitution.

Also, according to the article, the weapon was found "during a routine search by a Transportation Security Administration screener"...

Sgt. Alan Feinstein of the Fifth Precinct said it is not illegal to pack a gun in checked luggage. TSA regulations require travelers to unload the gun, lock it in a secure container and declare it to baggage handlers. Collier did none of those.
Even if she was allowed to carry a concealed weapon under HR 218, that law also states:

This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
Sounds to me like HR218 doesn't give you the right to ignore the law covering transporting the weapon on an airliner.

wunaladreamin
2008-10-21, 12:59 PM
Sounds to me like HR218 doesn't give you the right to ignore the law covering transporting the weapon on an airliner.I wasn't trying to give her a pass on bringing the piece aboard the plane. That's just terrible decision making. I wasn't sure as to whether she'd even be entitled to carry in NY under the resolution. That's all. :wink:

moose135
2008-10-21, 01:29 PM
Sounds to me like HR218 doesn't give you the right to ignore the law covering transporting the weapon on an airliner.I wasn't trying to give her a pass on bringing the piece aboard the plane. That's just terrible decision making. I wasn't sure as to whether she'd even be entitled to carry in NY under the resolution. That's all. :wink:
I understand, as I said, my reading of HR218 sounds like it doesn't apply to her.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-10-21, 07:55 PM
[quote="T-Bird76":2zu21gjp]What a moron... What's with ISP lately...its been a parade of retards..

I'm not saying the spc was using the best judgement, but I'm not sure if it's fair to call a person who's serving our country a retard...[/quote:2zu21gjp]

You do sometimes have to wonder about some of the people you encounter out there who wear a uniform....

This was just an idiotic move.

There's also a huge "perception" difference on guns between those living in NY and those who live in TX. In TX, they pretty much hand out guns at Walmart with purchases over $50, where as in NY, getting and legally registering a gun is very difficult. Guns are more of a way of life down here (TX), than they are in NY - most people own one, and don't see them as "huge deals"....

cancidas
2008-10-21, 08:42 PM
...where as in NY, getting and legally registering a gun is very difficult.
actually it's not difficult at all, just takes some time for the first permit you get. i had to go through the same process when i lived in AZ to get anything registered.