PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Helicopter Hits Fence in Manhattan

Ari707
2008-10-16, 12:33 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- A corporate helicopter owned by a New Jersey-based pharmaceutical maker has suffered a mishap at the busy 30th Street heliport on Manhattan's west side. No injuries are reported.

Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, says the Sikorsky S76 Turbomeca helicopter, owned by Bristol-Myers Squibb, of Trenton, N.J., made a ``hard landing'' at the Hudson River heliport. That caused its tail rotor to strike a fence and part of the landing gear to collapse.

Peters said it wasn't immediately clear how many people were aboard the aircraft. He said an FAA investigator was dispatched to the scene.

Ari707
2008-10-16, 12:33 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- A corporate helicopter owned by a New Jersey-based pharmaceutical maker has suffered a mishap at the busy 30th Street heliport on Manhattan's west side. No injuries are reported.

Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, says the Sikorsky S76 Turbomeca helicopter, owned by Bristol-Myers Squibb, of Trenton, N.J., made a ``hard landing'' at the Hudson River heliport. That caused its tail rotor to strike a fence and part of the landing gear to collapse.

Peters said it wasn't immediately clear how many people were aboard the aircraft. He said an FAA investigator was dispatched to the scene.

Nick
2008-10-16, 05:42 PM
We've landed there before and it's really tight. Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Nick
2008-10-16, 05:42 PM
We've landed there before and it's really tight. Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Gerard
2008-10-16, 06:37 PM
>Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, says the Sikorsky S76 Turbomeca helicopter,<

Turbomeca helicopter? And this guy works for the FAA? LOL I hope he was misquoted. First time I heard a copter named for its engines!!

cancidas
2008-10-17, 07:45 AM
>Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, says the Sikorsky S76 Turbomeca helicopter,<

Turbomeca helicopter? And this guy works for the FAA? LOL I hope he was misquoted. First time I heard a copter named for its engines!!
especially if it was allison-powered.

Gerard
2008-10-17, 09:51 AM
>especially if it was allison-powered.[/quote]

Wow that is even better!! :lol:

Matt Molnar
2008-10-17, 11:33 AM
More ammo for the NIMBYs. :(

Gerard
2008-10-17, 12:53 PM
More ammo for the NIMBYs. :(

Specifically the "Friends Of Hudson River Park" who have wanted W30 closed for years.

Matt Molnar
2008-10-17, 01:24 PM
The heliport is less annoying than that damn skatepark they built next to it. Now that Hudson River Park is finally a gorgeous full fledged park with a lot of unique features, they should embrace the heliport as one of those features rather than trying to get rid of it.

emshighway
2008-10-17, 09:26 PM
A ton of years ago a copter took the top off of the trailer when upon landing.

Gerard
2008-10-18, 11:20 AM

New Years Eve 1997. A Twinstar landing at W30 overshot the pad and the main rotor hit the operations building. Pilot error along with
a strong tailwind contributed to the accident. Thankfully only minor injuries.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp

emshighway
2008-10-26, 01:16 AM

New Years Eve 1997. A Twinstar landing at W30 overshot the pad and the main rotor hit the operations building. Pilot error along with
a strong tailwind contributed to the accident. Thankfully only minor injuries.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp

I was the FDNY PIO on scene. Speaking with the personnel in the trailer I remember them saying the rotor cam through the trailer like butter. Luckily none of them were standing up.

Tom_Turner
2008-10-26, 02:42 AM
I was there last fall when a chopper started to lift off with some ground equipment still attached... the gas pump line I believe. Don't know how the pilot noticed so immediately but there was sudden jerky motion and it came right back down awkwardly and fast. Very scary moment (for me at least). Then departed about a minute later -