PDA

View Full Version : Commerical Aviation Ground Crew Jobs

Wrongway Corrigan
2008-10-14, 11:03 PM
Hello all,

Since I have an interest in aviation and meteorology, I am considering obtaining flight dispatcher certification.

What is everyone's thoughts of the demand for this type of job in the New York metro area?

Are there other ground crew positions more realistic to pursue?

Wrongway Corrigan
2008-10-14, 11:03 PM
Hello all,

Since I have an interest in aviation and meteorology, I am considering obtaining flight dispatcher certification.

What is everyone's thoughts of the demand for this type of job in the New York metro area?

Are there other ground crew positions more realistic to pursue?

Wingzero
2008-10-14, 11:11 PM
Hi I know of a few dispatchers that work for my airline here in NYC and all in all I think it is an OK job. The hours are probably the worst part since i believe that in my airline they have to alternate shifts every few months. I guess most of them dont mind since there are many that have been doing the job for many years. So if you dont mind that, then I'm sure you'll have a good time if you like to be in the control center of an airline to see how it all works.

Wingzero
2008-10-14, 11:11 PM
Hi I know of a few dispatchers that work for my airline here in NYC and all in all I think it is an OK job. The hours are probably the worst part since i believe that in my airline they have to alternate shifts every few months. I guess most of them dont mind since there are many that have been doing the job for many years. So if you dont mind that, then I'm sure you'll have a good time if you like to be in the control center of an airline to see how it all works.

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-15, 09:11 AM
I am about to attend dispatcher school in a few weeks, and it's something I'm pretty excited about.

I happen to already work for a company that is doing well in the industry, but I don't know about other demand for it. It is one of the better (or, more fair) paying positions that you'll find, though.

It is, however, an excellent thing to have under your belt whether you want to be a dispatcher or not. It shows strong knowledge of how the industry operates, and could be an easy way for you to get a different operational job in an airline...then work your way into being a dispatcher from there.

Good luck!

PhilDernerJr
2008-10-15, 09:11 AM
I am about to attend dispatcher school in a few weeks, and it's something I'm pretty excited about.

I happen to already work for a company that is doing well in the industry, but I don't know about other demand for it. It is one of the better (or, more fair) paying positions that you'll find, though.

It is, however, an excellent thing to have under your belt whether you want to be a dispatcher or not. It shows strong knowledge of how the industry operates, and could be an easy way for you to get a different operational job in an airline...then work your way into being a dispatcher from there.

Good luck!

Wrongway Corrigan
2008-10-17, 03:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the insight. I am looking forward to getting into the leaning process for certification. Any recommendations on which training facility is best? I was considering FlightSafety at LaGuardia.

briyxu
2008-11-01, 02:35 PM
Good luck at dispatcher school. I did not know threre was such a thing.

PhilDernerJr
2008-11-01, 02:42 PM
Thanks. Some of the smartest people I work with are telling me how difficult it can be. I'm getting nervous!

Corrigan, I understand Flight Safety to be among the best schools for dispatch around. I start very soon, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Wrongway Corrigan
2008-12-01, 03:41 PM
Hey Phil, I was curious to know if you started training in the past month?