PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at small airports

jtrc
2008-10-01, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of smaller airports where they are friendly to spotters in the NY metro area. It seems you always have to keep looking not only at the sky but also behind your back.
I'm never that comfortable knowing someone of authority will object to me photographing
a flying object (and I don't mean the avian species).
Rich

flyboy 28
2008-10-01, 04:45 PM
If you're looking for GA (and don't mind a bit of a drive), you can hit up some small NJ airports. Somerset (KSMQ), which is about 40 miles from New York, Sky Manor (N40, my home airport), which is about 60 miles or Lehigh Valley (KABE) which is good for GA and commuter traffic, about 90 miles from New York. If you're ever out this way, feel free to contact me and I'd be glad to join you and show you some spots. I can't speak for Long Island or Connecticut.

Welcome to the site, by the way. :)

-James

jtrc
2008-10-02, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I will take a ride down to Somerset and check out the
air traffic.
Rich

threeholerglory
2008-10-02, 11:55 PM
There's a brand new restaurant on the field at Lincoln Park (N07) in northern Jersey, about 5 miles due north of Caldwell (Essex County) Airport...supposedly the place is incredible and it's right at the end of the runway with an outdoor viewing area. Every day when I drive by the lot looks packed so I'd presume they're doing something right....and if I'm not mistaken, they serve beer. Beer + watching airplanes + taking pictures = perfection. Any for the record, I have NEVER been bothered by anyone at that airport with my camera.

-Mike

pgengler
2008-10-03, 09:47 AM
Somerset is a nice airport, and I'm not just saying that because it's where I'm doing my flying. If you look along the fence in the parking lot, they have signs for an FM station that rebroadcasts the CTAF so you can listen to that in your car if you don't have a scanner (it's 123.0 if you do). Most of the activity is on the one paved runway (30/12).

I don't know how much they're starting to wind down now that it's fall, but there are a bunch of gliders at the airport so you can watch those coming and going on the grass runway, in addition to the other (powered) traffic. The NJ State Police have a helicopter based on the field so if you stick around long enough you'll probably see that.

I don't know how the spotting is at Solberg (N51), which is not that far from Somerset, but there's usually a blimp basing out of there, which is something different.

flyboy 28
2008-10-03, 10:10 AM
If you look along the fence in the parking lot, they have signs for an FM station that rebroadcasts the CTAF so you can listen to that in your car if you don't have a scanner (it's 123.0 if you do). Most of the activity is on the one paved runway (30/12).

Last time I was there (about two months ago), the sign for the FM frequency on the fence has been removed and when I tried to tune to it (88.1 I believe), it was just static.

I don't know how much they're starting to wind down now that it's fall, but there are a bunch of gliders at the airport so you can watch those coming and going on the grass runway

Yup.
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/glid4jt.jpg

pgengler
2008-10-03, 10:13 AM
Last time I was there (about two months ago), the sign for the FM frequency on the fence has been removed and when I tried to tune to it (88.1 I believe), it was just static.

Hmm. I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I'm over there. It's been a while since I've been to the airport to do any spotting, so I haven't really been paying attention.

Mateo
2008-10-03, 07:43 PM
Somerset/SMQ is fine from the lot; let them know at the desk if you want to go on the ramp. Gliding season is winding down, but it's a very active gliderport on lifty days. Blairstown has gliders, too, but I haven't been there. At SMQ, you're looking south and west at the runway; north at the gliders.

Solberg/N51 is also OK from the lot (you're looking west). There are a couple of warbirds based here and a derelict Navion.

Princeton/39N has a viewing area along the access road; you're facing north. There's a helicopter school here, and usually a Robinson flying.

Sky Manor/N40. By the time you realize you're at the airport, you're on the ramp! Look for the 3 Beriev amphibians; the only 3 in North America last time I checked.

Kupper/47N. Viewing area on the access road; you face south. There's a banner towing operation here on summer weekends.

I've never had any issues at all at any of the above fields.

flyboy 28
2008-10-03, 11:36 PM
Look for the 3 Beriev amphibians

Only two are at the airport now. I believe one was sold, but I'm probably wrong. The remaining two are currently in a recently-erected hangar.

markg
2008-10-07, 01:24 PM
Where is Sky Manor/N40? I need to get some shots of these Beriev's before they disappear!

Come down to BLM/Monmouth Executive sometime. You get biz jets in there even on weekends. There is a viewing area where you can park and the runway is in front, but below your level. There's also a great restaurant and bar with good home cooking and views of the terminal ramp and runway.

I've never been hassled here, but did hear of some guy who got grief one time when POTUS was in the area.

flyboy 28
2008-10-07, 01:47 PM
Where is Sky Manor/N40? I need to get some shots of these Beriev's before they disappear!

Pittstown, NJ. From Brick (I assume that's where you're coming from),take the Parkway to 287 north, to 78 west, to exit 12.

Well, here.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... &iwloc=add (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sky+Manor+Airport,+NJ&sll=34.673029,-77.632828&sspn=0.190588,0.30899&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=add)

As of this January...
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/ber2jt.jpg

Mark, let me know if you're in the area. It's only ten minutes away from me and I'd be glad to buy some lunch. :)