PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Debate, 26-September, McCain vs Obama

Midnight Mike
2008-09-24, 08:23 AM
Schedule of presidential debates

John McCain and Barack Obama will participate in three 90-minute debates in the next three weeks. Their running mates, Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, will hold one debate. All four are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. The details:

First presidential debate

Date: September 26

When: 6 p.m. PDT, Friday.

Where: University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.

Subject: Foreign policy

Moderator: PBS' Jim Lehrer

Vice presidential debate

When: 6 p.m. PDT, Thursday, Oct. 2.

Where: Washington University, St. Louis.

Subject: Domestic and foreign policy

Moderator: PBS' Gwen Ifill

Second presidential debate

When: 6 p.m. PDT, Tuesday, Oct. 7.

Where: Belmont University, Nashville

Subject: Issues raised by audience members and submitted by Internet participants, in town hall format

Moderator: NBC's Tom Brokaw

Third presidential debate

When: 6 p.m. PDT, Wednesday, Oct. 15.

Where: Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y.

Subject: Domestic policy

Moderator: CBS' Bob Scheiffer

bonanzabucks
2008-09-24, 03:14 PM
Looks like the debate might be delayed. McCain is heading back to Washington.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-tr ... n_ask.html (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/24/mccain_suspending_campaign_ask.html)

T-Bird76
2008-09-26, 11:01 PM
Tonight's debate was very lackluster...neither one showed they have what it takes. It was sort of like ordering off a menu with no choices... :? :( :?

Midnight Mike
2008-09-27, 12:06 PM
Tonight's debate was very lackluster...neither one showed they have what it takes. It was sort of like ordering off a menu with no choices... :? :( :?

It was not bad, I think it did not help that the moderator was a little lackluster & did nothing to spice up the debate a little.

I would have liked it had he challenged the men a little more, but, that was the style, simple questions & let the candidates tear the hell out of each other.......

mirrodie
2008-09-27, 12:59 PM
Heard snippets on the radio.

Did not help a decision in either direction.

Midnight Mike
2008-09-27, 01:07 PM

It shouldn't. There are some of us that have already decided, but, there are still lots of undecided voters out there

mirrodie
2008-09-27, 01:15 PM

It shouldn't. There are some of us that have already decided, but, there are still lots of undecided voters out there

Well exactly, Mike. I'm one of those. I thought I had my man but its a tough call.

For those already decided, the debates are nothing more than a 3 round boxing match, with the decided rooting on their man.

NIKV69
2008-09-27, 01:29 PM
lackluster

Understatement. I fell asleep watching it it was so bad.

Unfortunately these dabates are not going to accomplish much. The media saturation has been so great in this election that we all know everything about these guys and their past records as well as what they are proposing already, they have been scrutinized to death. If you don't know who you want to vote now I don't think you will learn much with the rest of the debates.

bonanzabucks
2008-09-27, 01:51 PM
lackluster

Understatement. I fell asleep watching it it was so bad.

Unfortunately these dabates are not going to accomplish much. The media saturation has been so great in this election that we all know everything about these guys and their past records as well as what they are proposing already, they have been scrutinized to death. If you don't know who you want to vote now I don't think you will learn much with the rest of the debates.

I gotta agree. It was so bad. Now I can't wait for the Palin/Biden debate. That should be interesting!

lijk604
2008-09-27, 04:01 PM
Nothing like a good debate, to avoid all the moderator's questions. He was actually getting frustrated that they were not answering the questions posed, and just either reading off their campaign promises, or tearing a hole in the other candiate.

The question that finally got to him was on which programs they would cut, knowing that they will probably be stuck with this huge bailout coming. Neither one wanted to say which they would cut until he got frustrated and asked if he should rephrase the question so they would understand. Even then, only McCain could say that he would cut things...Obama, he wanted to keep telling us what we needed to spend on.
:roll:

4 more years of mediocrity!

bonanzabucks
2008-09-27, 04:14 PM
I just spoke with my mom about the debate. She said it put her to sleep! lol

I asked her what she thought about Palin. My mom almost always votes Democrat and she doesn't really agree with a lot of Palin's policies, but she said she likes her and would consider voting for McCain because of Palin. She was really defensive of her too. I asked her why and she said because Palin was a woman and there need to be more women in power. Wow...

Women are like birds -- they flock together no matter what.

Midnight Mike
2008-09-27, 08:49 PM
I just spoke with my mom about the debate. She said it put her to sleep! lol

I asked her what she thought about Palin. My mom almost always votes Democrat and she doesn't really agree with a lot of Palin's policies, but she said she likes her and would consider voting for McCain because of Palin. She was really defensive of her too. I asked her why and she said because Palin was a woman and there need to be more women in power. Wow...

Women are like birds -- they flock together no matter what.

Oh hello! The bathroom trick, one woman goes, they all go! :mrgreen:

MarkLawrence
2008-09-27, 09:42 PM
The one thing I could definitely see with that debate was the anger issues that McCain is famous for - the tightening of the jaw muscles, the little smile and sneer, the absolutely refusal to look at Obama at all. At times he looked like a petulant little boy that really just wanted to jump up and down and stomp his little feet. Again, this is my first presidential election I get to vote in, so I'm really trying to get all the aspects of the whole campaign.

In short - my thought - neither of them really answered the questions (as others have mentioned) - it's all about their particular agendas. Under it all - I could see some definite areas they want to focus on - Obama is alternative fuels, McCain's really hot thing seems veterans affairs - those were the two big ones I picked up from each of them.

Honestly, I'm getting really ticked off at the way the Republicans are hiding Sarah Palin. After the debate - Joe Biden is on - good for him - Brian Williams said they invited Governor Palin - she declined - I think McCain must be in some ways regretting his decision. I think the Vice Presidential debate is going to be a farce - they are going to spoon feed her lines - of course - this is purely my own opinion - I might be wrong.

But, maybe there is a preview of the debate on SNL tonight - I hear Tina Fey is on again!! :borat:

Jetinder
2008-10-15, 05:34 AM
We also saw this here in the UK, i feel Obama came across better and feel he can offer hope and could change the world for better.

Jetinder
2008-10-15, 05:34 AM
We also saw this here in the UK, i feel Obama came across better and feel he can offer hope and could change the world for better.