PDA

View Full Version : EWR/JFK/LGA Spotting Locales for a Rookie?

Planesntrains
2008-09-15, 04:53 AM
Hey all. I'm new to the board, and fairly new to spotting...well...planes at least. I've been a addicted railfan (trainspotter) all of my life, and I've always been somewhat intrigued by aviation. So lately I've been really diving in head first into planespotting. I'm mostly what I guess you guys in aviation would call a registration logger, but I do some photography also.

So I was wondering. Can anyone suggest some good locations to go spotting?? I've heard some bad stories about IKEA in Elizabethport. I'm in Jersey and closest to EWR, but I have no quams about making the short jaunts over to LGA or JFK. I do drive, so no worries about proximity to public transit.

Any help? Thanks in advance. :)

G-BOAD
2008-09-15, 07:20 AM
Hi Matt and welcome to the site,
1st of all, what kind of camera your using? For most of the spots at JFK you would need something around 300-400mm, or around 12X zoom. There are a few closer spots, but planes go by fast, so you might not be able to log them. If you just want to watch, and not have a camera or logbook, then there are several nice spots, including T1 parking lot, T4 lot, and terminal waiting area, and im sure when the new T5 lot opens, that will be nice too. If your just watching, IKEA parking lot should be fine. Grab a $.50 hotdog, sit on the railing outside and enjoy the planes fly. If anyone bothers you you can say your wife/girlfriend/parents/etc. are inside shopping and your just waiting out here.
be sure to check out the spotting maps on the main page: tools>spotting maps

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-15, 01:29 PM
Hi Matt, welcome to the site!

Here are some maps to help you out with JFK and LGA:

http://nycaviation.com/jfkspotting

http://nycaviation.com/lgaspotting

Let us know if you have any questions.

Planesntrains
2008-09-16, 08:02 AM
Hey gents. Thanks.

I shoot a Nikon N80 with some good ED glass. But again, I'm more of a logger. So, I'm usually armed with a modest pair or Minolta binoculars and a MSWord created log book. I do have some more questions, being it sounds like the upcoming UN week would be a good time to head to JFK, but I believe that would be more relevant to ask in that topic.

But on this one...any tips on the best techniques and which of those locales you guys put out there are best for specifically reg logging?

Cheers!

Planesntrains
2008-09-16, 10:29 PM
I jumped on GoogleEarth tonight, and I'm looking at Frank Charles Park, Howard Beach, Bayswater Park and The Mounds for my first trip out to JFK. Any words of wisdom on which would be easiest to get reg's?

sirloin
2008-09-19, 11:21 AM
Hey. I'm another NYC rookie. I was curious, how easy is it to get from the mounds to JFK? I will be non-rev'ing up there this Tuesday, and I think I'm gonna be heading out to the mounds from downtown but leaving the mounds right for the airport. Also, what would be a good time to get to the mounds for some serious widebody action? Thanks for any info.