PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch License

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-11, 02:08 PM
Pardon my boasting, but my company was nice enough to offer a scholarship contest for interested employees to obtain their Dispatch license. I had an essay and panel interview a few weeks back, and was informed today that I won the scholarship!

I'm very excited to toss another aviation credential under my belt, and have something that will hopefully lead to my next promotion and raise from here. North American has been a caring employer to me, and I am proud to work for them and also for the people WE work for.

I will be attending the class at Flight Safety at LGA, although I'm not yet sure when I will be starting. I have more details to learn soon.

Matt Molnar
2008-09-11, 02:28 PM
Congrats!

MarkLawrence
2008-09-11, 02:55 PM
Congrats Phil!!

kc2aqg
2008-09-11, 03:23 PM
Congrats Phil! You're right, NA seems like a great employer. While most airlines are cutting benefits and the things they give back to employees, NA is smart enough to do something like this where it's a win-win situation.

adam613
2008-09-11, 04:08 PM
Sweet...that's an unusual license to get, and it sounds pretty interesting...keep us updated!

lijk604
2008-09-11, 04:24 PM
Congrats Phil! It's a lot of work, but it will be rewarding to get once done.

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-11, 04:33 PM
Thanks, guys. I have a few higher ups who really go out of their way to make sure that their employees are taken care of, and afforded great opportunities. Especially with the way that the industry is these days, my company is in great shape and I'm grateful to be where I am.

A dispatch license is like getting a pilot's license without the flying part. Being a dispatcher for an ETOPS airline that operates to very unique and exotic places make experience with NAA pure gold in the airline industry.

wunaladreamin
2008-09-11, 05:42 PM
Wow Phil, congrats! And good luck!

Lezam
2008-09-11, 06:15 PM
congrats dude!

mirrodie
2008-09-11, 06:36 PM
Phil, that is really awesome to hear! Congratulations my friend.

emshighway
2008-09-11, 06:57 PM
Congrats and call me when over at LGA, we'll do lunch.

HPNPilot1200
2008-09-11, 09:12 PM
Congratulations, and good luck on the dispatch written! It ain't easy. :wink:

Let us know how it goes for sure.

LGA777
2008-09-12, 05:31 PM
Phil, I am really glad you are getting this great oppurtunity. As you said getting experiance with an Internatianal carrier going to so many different and unique destinations is a great resume addition. After a few years it would be very easy for you to get dispatch employment with some of the best paying (dispatch position) carriers in the industry.

For those who don't know the written test HPNPilot1200 mentioned is the ATP written, or anotherwords the same test a pilot must take to get his/her Air Transport Pilot rating, a requirement to become an airline pilot.

Best of luck with school Phil, and I know I speak for many on this board when I say we are very proud of your accompolishments at North American.

Again Congrats

LGA777

corellian21
2008-09-12, 05:36 PM
Congrats phil, and best of luck !!!!

corellian21
2008-09-12, 05:38 PM
Congrats phil, and best of luck !!!!

USAF Pilot 07
2008-09-12, 07:21 PM
Congrats man! I know you'll kill the class!

AA 777
2008-09-18, 12:59 AM
Congrats Phil! Be sure to buy this...or the CD version. It will be your friend! Be ready to plan flights on the good old 727!! I have a friend that did the Flight Safety course at LGA and she said it was a lot of work, but extremely rewarding at the same time.

http://www.sportys.com/terryc/images/M119l.jpg

Keep us updated!

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-18, 02:42 AM
Thanks. I've already looked into Gleim books and CDs, and will be getting both soon probably.

I hear they have sims over at Flight Safety, too. :D

HPNPilot1200
2008-09-18, 05:08 PM
Thanks. I've already looked into Gleim books and CDs, and will be getting both soon probably.

I hear they have sims over at Flight Safety, too. :D

Cool, I definitely recommend them as well. Dr. Gleim sure does a good job with his products.

Last I heard, the LGA FSI center had 2 1900 sims and a Shorts 360 sim.

crj200dispatcher
2008-12-23, 08:54 AM
Phil...I just saw this posting, Congrats! I have been a Dispatcher since 1991, and I would not trade it for the world, every day is different. Ahh I remember my days at TWA, and good ole ETOPS.

The issue I see now a days is, at my carrier, they hired alot of people off the street, who had no aviation knowledge or idea what a dispatcher is, and they do not take the job seriously, or recogonize the seriousness of their job performance, and just slack through their work. They have no idea this is alot peoples career and love what they are doing.

Let me know if I can be of any help, I have access to alot of other carriers employee websites, and their dispatch sections have so much valuable information in it