PDA

View Full Version : Ciao! Off to Italy!

kc2aqg
2008-08-18, 01:44 PM
It's official, I will be travelling to Italy at the end of September for work. We will be staying around Rome, but are definitely interested in doing some day trips around the area and possibly heading up to Venice or Florence on our off-days as well. What are your recommendations for places to see? Anything that is an absolutely-do not miss?

Also, curious on your opinions for flying over there: I will most likely fly Continental from EWR since my team will be flying from there as well, but would you fly on Alitalia considering its current state? (I know Vinny's answer lol)

I expect to hear lots from you Tommy, since you're heading over there now! :wink:

T-Bird76
2008-08-18, 02:06 PM
Andy we'll get together when I get back with my suggestions. I did a TON of research before hand. I leave tomorrow, 5Pm AA236 out of JFK, F Class ;) . Doesn't Delta do JFK-FCO?

kc2aqg
2008-08-18, 02:57 PM
DL does do JFK-FCO, but the client and the project team is NJ based and prefer to fly out of EWR. Since they would pay for me to trek out there anyway, it doesn't make much difference to me. Plus it's a CO777 vs. a DL763, so I think the 777 wins purely based on aircraft. I can still get Skyteam credit from CO in September, right?

We'll definitely get together and talk about the trip, looking forward to hearing about it and planning my own!

Art at ISP
2008-08-19, 09:52 AM
I was in Italy with my wife last fall--flew CO and they were great. My wife is going back WITHOUT me in September.

My favorite place was Florence, although Venice and Rome were beautiful. Depending on your interests, I can make some recommendations as well.

kc2aqg
2008-08-21, 01:48 PM
I've updated the post to include a poll for which option would you fly from NYC to Rome. Please indicate your responses, as I have to book by Monday. Thanks!

PierreZRH
2008-08-21, 02:57 PM
I'd choose either Delta or Continental. I selected Continental out of EWR as its a 777. I've heard that Alitalia crews are rather rude on some flights and the service on board is not exceptional.

Iberia A340-600
2008-08-21, 03:18 PM
I would count out the Delta 767-300 and the Alitalia 767-300, both are silly contenders against their more comfortable and bigger 777 brother.

When flying to a foreign country it is generally a better idea to fly the foreign carrier however I believe you would be more satisfied on a Continental 777-200. My father recently flew on a Continental 777-200 from LHR which had the updated AVOD system and enjoyed his flight very much. From the looks of it the seats on the Alitalia 777-200 look rather worn and have an IFE box right in the middle of the window seats. I also find Terminal C at EWR more enjoyable then Terminal 1 at JFK.

I have only flown Continental twice on long haul flight and that was on a 767-200 to GRU and I found the IFE a little outdated but the seats were adequate for the 10 hour flight and service was fine. I have flown Alitalia between MAD and MXP before on the MD-80 and A321 and enjoyed the flights very much.