PDA

View Full Version : Tornado warning in Manhattan!

adam613
2008-08-15, 05:47 PM
(From weather.gov...these things tend to go away when they're over and it's public record so I'm reposting the whole thing)

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
516 PM EDT FRI AUG 15 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
BRONX COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
EASTERN BERGEN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

* UNTIL 545 PM EDT...

* AT 515 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR
ENGLEWOOD...OR NEAR BERGENFIELD...MOVING EAST AT 19 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
RIVERDALE BY 525 PM...
EAST TREMONT BY 530 PM...
CO-OP CITY AND CITY ISLAND BY 540 PM...

IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS.

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER A
WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT IS
AVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN
INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO
COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A
SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE
NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

There was never much risk of an actual tornado in Manhattan, but when's the last time Manhattan was included in a tornado warning??

Matt Molnar
2008-08-15, 06:30 PM
I did some ghetto storm chasing by walking outside and over a few blocks to get a better view of the horizon. Didn't see any twisters, but definitely the lowest, most ominous clouds I've ever seen...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2766677956_fd3633100b_o.jpg

Lezam
2008-08-15, 06:33 PM
Have we ever had a tornado?

Gerard
2008-08-15, 06:40 PM
I did some ghetto storm chasing by walking outside and over a few blocks to get a better view of the horizon. Didn't see any twisters, but definitely the lowest, most ominous clouds I've ever seen...

That looks like the nasty sky that was heading into Jamaica Station last night around 5PM. And something is heading my way now from the North. The sky is
a dark angry color.

stuart schechter
2008-08-15, 06:40 PM
(ignore me)

stuart schechter
2008-08-15, 06:41 PM
We've had them in Westchester, near Pleasantville/Hawthorne.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/14/nyregion/14storm600.jpg
James Estrin/The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/14/nyregion/14storm.html

Tom_Turner
2008-08-15, 06:41 PM
There were separate tornados in both Brooklyn and Staten Island at some point in the last 3 years or so. The Brooklyn one was "officially" confirmed I believe, and the Staten Island one not so at first, but as I remember more or less conceded it probably occurred in the end.

Tom

Tom_Turner
2008-08-15, 06:44 PM
Well, even as I type we're getting hit with Hail now in Staten Island. 2nd time about 3 weeks now in SI... Manhattan was hit with hail just a few days ago as well..

Tom

Midnight Mike
2008-08-15, 06:48 PM
There were separate tornados in both Brooklyn and Staten Island at some point in the last 3 years or so. The Brooklyn one was "officially" confirmed I believe, and the Staten Island one not so at first, but as I remember more or less conceded it probably occurred in the end.

Tom

When we were in Staten Island some time ago, they were evacuating the Staten Island due to a Tornado warning....

Gerard
2008-08-15, 08:01 PM
And these heavy storms must be creating total havoc for all three major airports. That cell I saw last night came right over LGA into JFK. Later I heard a "Shamrock Heavy" on JFK freq who must have been reaL CLOSE to me as his transmission was loud and clear. Apparently he had been circling awhile NE of the JFK and wanted to know when he could come in.

emshighway
2008-08-15, 09:55 PM

You call 49 St & Astoria Blvd the Ghetto?

Let me drop you off at 149/3 and see what you think...

T-Bird76
2008-08-15, 10:42 PM
What's with this weather this summer? I can't remember a summer like this before where almost every other day we get these huge storms? It took me two hours to get home yesterday because half the streets between where I work and Sunrise Highway were flooded out. Seriously this has been insane lately.

Matt Molnar
2008-08-15, 10:57 PM
You call 49 St & Astoria Blvd the Ghetto?

Let me drop you off at 149/3 and see what you think...
Not at all, I live near there. I meant ghetto as in I was on foot rather than chasing in a truck. :)

Also, wow, you're good. No street signs in that pic!

h2opunk1822
2008-08-15, 10:57 PM
as i said at work the other day.. weve had more hail this summer, then we've had the past 3 winters it seems like!..

and i dont like it, my cars are getting all dented up... :evil:

moose135
2008-08-16, 12:18 AM
What's with this weather this summer? I can't remember a summer like this before where almost every other day we get these huge storms? It took me two hours to get home yesterday because half the streets between where I work and Sunrise Highway were flooded out. Seriously this has been insane lately.
Global warming...oh wait, people keep telling me that's a myth :wink:

PhilDernerJr
2008-08-16, 02:05 AM
Global warming...oh wait, people keep telling me that's a myth :wink:

For me, I think the opposite. I don't recall a summer that's had so many cool and clear days as this one. It's mid-August and the temperate has been in the low 80s almost constantly.

And these heavy storms must be creating total havoc for all three major airports.

It's 2am and LGA is still receiving arrivals every 2 mins as I type, two hours past curfew.