PDA

View Full Version : No More "Mike & the Mad Dog"

moose135
2008-08-15, 01:14 AM
After 19 years, Russo leaves 'Mike and Mad Dog'

BY NEIL BEST | [email protected]
1:06 AM EDT, August 15, 2008

"Mike and the Mad Dog," a New York sports talk radio institution for nearly two decades, has been disconnected.

WFAN abruptly ended the 19-year-old show late Thursday afternoon when it announced to the media that co-host Chris Russo has left the station, leaving Mike Francesa to carry on without him. Russo had hoped to do a farewell show, but WFAN opted to part ways immediately after releasing him from a contract that would have run through next spring. The announcement was made after Francesa left the air Thursday, but he said he will answer all questions about it on Friday's show.

The news did not come as a surprise; Newsday first reported June 22 that the show likely would end before Labor Day. But it still was an emotional moment for the longtime duo.

Full Story (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sprusso0815,0,4065290.story)

Matt Molnar
2008-08-15, 01:40 AM
If there are any M&MD fans on here, don't take this personally, but I think them being able to stick around for 20 years says more about the sorry state of radio than it does about their talent. Sure, they know a lot about baseball and basketball, but they are annoying as **** to listen to. I've listened to FAN's overnight shows nearly every night for the past 20 years, Steve Somers, Joe Beningo, Tony Page, and others, and I've always liked them a lot. But the daytime is always filled with one schmuck after another. And just when I thought Mike and the Mad Dog had grown into the worst show ever, they fired Imus and put on some complete asshat with Boomer Esiason. Boomer has always seemed like a good guy to me, but the other guy is such a jackass I don't even want to remember his name.

Tom_Turner
2008-08-15, 07:21 PM
I agree Gotham.. Lot of mouth breathers on that station. Its actually fascinating to listen to in a twisted sort of way.

Always enjoyed Steve Somers..even back on the overnight...

I can remember hearing Russo the first few times many years ago. I was shocked - and thought it was a joke at first - that what seemed to be a half wit with a speech impediment was hosting a radio show. But then again, he's rich now, so he's no half wit...unless perhaps its a reflection of the audience..

T