PDA

View Full Version : Emirates still considering 747-8I & changes to the 777?

Midnight Mike
2008-08-05, 09:28 AM
Emirates President Tim Clark is leaving the door open for the 747-8I, which he termed an "excellent aircraft."

Commenting in the context of EK's weight reduction program on the A380 designed to give it more range for US West Coast operations (see story above), Clark said Boeing is working on some innovations for the -8I to meet the Emirates performance requirements. "We are still looking at the 747-8I," he confirmed. "A lot depends on our expansion plans relating to the completion of Al-Maktoum International Airport at Jebel Ali in Dubai."

He also is pressing for an upgrade of the 777-300ER that he forecasts would be up to 10% more fuel efficient. He dubs the new model the -300ERX. "Boeing is looking at a range of improvements to materials, weight, engines and aerodynamics that would give up to a 10% improvement in SFC," he told ATWOnline. The -300ERX would counter the promised brochure performance of the A350-1000, which Clark said still is being finalized. He said a performance improvement on the -300ER, which he called a "really beautiful aircraft," will occur before any replacement of the 777, which he sees coming in the 2020-25 timeframe.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=13555