PDA

View Full Version : B-52 Down Off Guam

wunaladreamin
2008-07-21, 06:44 PM
HONOLULU - Rescue crews were searching a vast area of floating debris and a sheen of oil Monday for crew members of an Air Force B-52 bomber that crashed off the island of Guam, officials said.

At least two people were recovered from the waters, but their condition was not immediately available, the Coast Guard said.

Six vessels, three helicopters, two F-15 fighter jets and a B-52 bomber were involved in the search, which had covered about 70 square miles of ocean, said Coast Guard spokeswoman Lt. Elizabeth Buendia.

[ full article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25777752/) ]

Matt Molnar
2008-07-21, 06:53 PM
A later report confirmed 2 dead, the others are still missing.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-07-22, 12:17 AM
AP now confirming 3 dead. Not saying anything about the other crew members. I do believe the aircraft is equipped with an ejection device, but I don't know how comparable it is to such on most of the other fighter/bomber AC.

AP is also reporting the AC was based out of Barksdale AFB, LA.

The aircraft - unarmed - was reportedly going to do a flyover at a local parade on Guam celebrating its independance day.

Unfortunately the B52 has a negative history when it comes to flyovers and/or military demonstrations (ref fairchild AFB airshow crash).

It's been a tough year for the fairly small BUFF community - this certainly just adds more pain to that. My thoughts and prayers rest with the family members and buddies of the deceased. A toast...

moose135
2008-07-22, 12:45 AM
I do believe the aircraft is equipped with an ejection device, but I don't know how comparable it is to such on most of the other fighter/bomber AC.
The B-52 is equipped with ejection seats. When originally built, it carried a 6-man crew - 2 pilots, electronics warfare officer (EWO) seated behind the pilots, Navigator, Radar Navigator (bombardier) on the lower deck, and the gunner. The gunner was originally stationed in the tail, and later moved to the cockpit, next to the EWO. The pilots eject out the top, along with the EWO and gunner seats (the gunner position was eliminated a number of years ago). The Nav and Radar Nav eject out the bottom - after the seat leaves the aircraft, a rocket fires, sending it upwards as a conventional seat.

With 6 reported on board this aircraft, it appears as if an IP or other passenger was along for the ride. In the event of an emergency, he would have to get strapped in to the gunner seat for ejection.

LGA777
2008-07-22, 01:38 PM
Anyone know how old the newest B-52's are? Sorry, my Military aircraft knowledge is limited.

Regards

LGA777

moose135
2008-07-22, 01:57 PM
Anyone know how old the newest B-52's are?
The H-model is the only one still operational (the only version with TF-33 engine, everything before that had water injection). The first H-models were FY1960 purchases, and arrived at active duty units in early 1961. The last B-52H was delivered in late 1962.

One of the oldest H-models, 60-0011, was at McGuire for the open house this year. It was the 11th of 102 H-models built.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/307615130_8iMZh-M-1.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-22, 02:15 PM
I don't know how they last so long. I'd assume that through maintenance, they are almost completely rebuilt anyway, right? Including the frame itself?

moose135
2008-07-22, 04:11 PM
Yes, they do a lot of maintenance, which replaces many parts, although I think the basic structure (fuselage skin, wing spars, etc.) remains unchanged. One thing to keep in mind is that prior to our recent adventures in other parts of the world, the B-52 and KC-135 fleet were relatively low time airframes, especially compared to civilian airliners of similar vintage. Through the 1960s to early 1990s, both stood EWO alert, part of the nuclear deterrent during the Cold War. If I remember correctly, aircraft would sit on alert without flying for 90 days at a time (fortunately, crew members pulled 7-day tours).

Ari707
2008-07-22, 04:59 PM
I know the AF plans on keeping the B52's for at least 20 or so more yrs. do they have any thoughts to re-engining them???