PDA

View Full Version : DEN shuffles gates to accomodate WN

Alex T
2008-07-18, 03:13 PM
To help accommodate the growth of Southwest Airlines at Denver International Airport, DIA officials have told some carriers they will be switching gates — moves that will shift some airlines from the C concourse to A.

Last week, DIA sent letters to Alaska Airlines, US Airways, AirTran Airways and Midwest Airlines giving them 60 days' notice of the gate relocations.

DIA is moving Alaska from gate C32 to A53, a gate no longer needed by Frontier Airlines.

US Airways has been asked to vacate gate C29 and move to C32 so Southwest can have three contiguous gates on the west side of the concourse, said Patrick Heck, DIA's deputy manager for business development.

DIA's preference is for the move of carriers to be "consensual," but Heck noted the airport has contract language that allows it to dictate the moves.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_9916193

Interesting Move of the gate Changes. When I connected in DEN on WN onto United Express I was amazed at the tightness of the operation at DEN with the amount of gates WN had at the time. More gates is most definitly needed if WN plans 115 daily. With 10 gates, WN doing around 10 flights per gate, more then 10 will be needed for sure.

Alex

adam613
2008-07-18, 04:51 PM
Man, WN is taking over that entire airport...So why on earth was I not able to get a cheap flight there for my vacation!

moose135
2008-07-18, 05:05 PM
Man, WN is taking over that entire airport...So why on earth was I not able to get a cheap flight there for my vacation!
Because they are taking over that entire airport. Less competition means higher fares.