PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to G-BOAD (disturbing photos)- UPDATED

G-BOAD
2008-06-30, 10:02 PM
The nose cone broke off from G-BOAD. I sure hope BA has an extra one. (I think i saw one for sale a while ago) Other then that, the plane has paint peeling and birds craping in its engines. I hope New York doesn't become infamous for the worst maintained Concorde
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde001.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde038.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde027.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde018.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde013.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde004.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde002.jpg
Personally, I would much rather prefer the Concorde to stay at an airfield, rather then a barge in New York, but seeing how its poorly treated here, makes me want to change my mind.
:(

Matt Molnar
2008-06-30, 10:08 PM
Wow, very sad.

AirtrafficController
2008-06-30, 11:04 PM
Its hard to see such a historic aircraft being mistreated as that. I agree with Matt that they should place the Concorde at an airfield (JFK).

stuart schechter
2008-06-30, 11:09 PM
Wow, and that's how they treat a piece of JFK's history? I say we have a NYCA uprising and restore it!

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-01, 02:26 AM
The nose looks like it snapped off! Anyone know how that happened?

Lezam
2008-07-01, 02:25 PM
Is this going to be stationed there permanently? At least if it was with the intrepid, it would be somewhat well maintained

moose135
2008-07-01, 03:16 PM
Is this going to be stationed there permanently? At least if it was with the intrepid, it would be somewhat well maintained
No, it's supposed to go back to the Intrepid after her restoration work is done.

Matt Molnar
2008-07-01, 04:56 PM
The nose is hanging over a road! A truck probably hit it. :(

cancidas
2008-07-01, 05:45 PM
No, it's supposed to go back to the Intrepid after her restoration work is done.
i heard they ran out of money...

nwafan20
2008-07-01, 09:49 PM
Wow... Very sad to see G-BOAD in this sort of condition...

mirrodie
2008-07-02, 09:26 AM
As a NYer, Im disgraced.

Our overseas friends have always chided BA for giving NY a Concorde. And this was the reason why. Its stuff like this that gives NY a bad name.

NY deserved a Concorde more than any other city, as it is the one city in the world that received the most Concorde flights. Without NY, Concorde would have never gotten out of the gate. The proper place for it would have been at JFK. And yes, there is space for it to have been properly placed.

Phil, I agree with Stuart. Why don't we try to approach them in terms of restoration?

Delta777LR
2008-07-02, 10:03 AM
I agree about having the concorde be at JFK. There is plenty of space to put it.. Im not too happy to see this concorde in this kind of condition. I just wish badly that they would just place it at JFK...

PrimaVista
2008-07-02, 12:56 PM
What a disgrace. What a complete, total disgrace.

What a finger to everyone who designed, operated and lovingly maintained the only ever supersonic passenger airplane.

NY deserved one, but do they deserve to keep her?

Every other example is on display, pristine, looking airworthy and real. New York lets the birds crap on theirs and lets it rot away. FOR SHAME.

BA still owns every Concorde, I believe.

It would be a suitable punishment if they took it away, and who could blame them?

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-02, 01:10 PM
Is it true that BA is the actual owner? Who is the contracted safekeeper while it's here...The Intrepid organization?

T-Bird76
2008-07-02, 01:52 PM
Is it true that BA is the actual owner? Who is the contracted safekeeper while it's here...The Intrepid organization?

Yes that is correct Phil. It’s on loan to us and the property managers of the Intrepid are responsible for its well being. There was a story a month ago that there may not be enough money to fully complete the refit on the Intrepid so I'm sure this must be affecting the Concorde as well.

Truly ashame....NYC should hang its head in shame... :(

Perhaps we as a group might consider throwing some ideas around to help her out?

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-02, 01:58 PM
I'm going to give the Intrepid a call.

In the meantime, anyone interested in being a part of a group to help out on this, just post here, or Email/PM me.

RDU-JFK
2008-07-02, 03:41 PM
I'd definitely be interested in helping/being part of an organized group.

dairwin
2008-07-02, 04:09 PM
As a NYer, Im disgraced.
... Without NY, Concorde would have never gotten out of the gate. The proper place for it would have been at JFK.

Ha. The other side of this coin is that if BA and the UK govt were not as persistent to overcome the bile and anti-Concorde movement in the early 70s, there wouldn't have been a Concorde either.

An ex-NYer

mirrodie
2008-07-02, 04:38 PM
As a NYer, Im disgraced.
... Without NY, Concorde would have never gotten out of the gate. The proper place for it would have been at JFK.

Ha. The other side of this coin is that if BA and the UK govt were not as persistent to overcome the bile and anti-Concorde movement in the early 70s, there wouldn't have been a Concorde either.

An ex-NYer

Welcome as its your first post. Ha? An interesting side of the coin. Take away the anti-Concorde movement you speak of and yet, where would it have flown had it not been NY?

Not sure how relevant your post is but welcome nonetheless.

FlyingColors
2008-07-02, 04:52 PM
Why so surprised?

Even the Concorde (in America) is just an "old tired dirty jetliner" to the public majority.

She would have been better off with props, because it could have been tagged as an antique.

I've already been down this road with one of Howard Hughes Convair CV-880's at TEB/ New Jersey Hall of Fame Museum, ship #3. Remember- this was the fastest jetliner of its day.

Chances are excellent G-BOAD will be scrapped or reclaimed by BA.

I saw the scrapping of the only complete intact CV-880, ship #13.
Both multi million Boeing SSTs full size mock ups were pissed away (2707-100 all gone, 2707-300 only the nose was saved at the Hiler Museum after is sat in a field for years rotting.
Even the first 747 looks like crap.

Face it- commercial aviation appreciation is almost non-existent in the USA.
(Would be nice if the PAPD released some of its slush fund )

wunaladreamin
2008-07-02, 05:23 PM
Well the folks trolling the a.net forums are pissed (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4050720/)

Phil, count me in (schedule permitting) on any efforts.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-02, 05:44 PM
I have started to do some research, and once I've gathered some stuff together, I'll post about what we might be able to do. It could be letters to the people running it, letters to local media organizations, maybe even pointing some things out to BA or whomever that might be interested in seeing what's going on.

If any of you have ideas or other info that might be helpful, email me.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-02, 06:22 PM
I've emailed ABC news as well as Fox5 News.

G-BOAD
2008-07-02, 06:24 PM
I was considering writing to BA asking to see if they have a replacement cone; and permission for us to do some restoration work. I would be happy to help with any such work.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-02, 06:26 PM
I was considering writing to BA asking to see if they have a replacement cone; and permission for us to do some restoration work. I would be happy to help with any such work.
From what I understand, BA has replacement noses amongst other parts and some Concorde engineers who work out of KJFK. It's now just whether they want to repair her, reclaim her, or scrap her.

Gerard
2008-07-02, 06:51 PM
Mmmm, maybe we can get the media involved like "7 on Your Side" or something like that. Embarass the heck out of the people who let this happen.

Jetinder
2008-07-02, 07:36 PM
I heard about this earlier on today and I'm extremely upset at the way G-BOAD has been treated.

On 21 Oct 2003 I flew G-BOAD from Heathrow to JFK and had the greatest time of my life, i saw the sunrise 20 mins after it had set at Heathrow and believe me it was brilliant :D :D :D :D :D

G-BOAD was immaculate and in "brand new" condition, she flew at mach 2 effortlessly, she loved it.

On 30 Oct 2003 i had hanger visit at Heathrow and took the following photos
:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/30-10-03-%20G-BOAD-2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/30-10-03-G-BOAD-nose.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/30-10-03-%20G-BOAD-4-bright.jpg

On 10 Nov 2003 i was at Heathrow to see her ferry flight to New York, the plane was perfect and i wrote a report about it see
http://www.leconcorde.eu/com_forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

but today when i heard she had a broken nose this broke my heart and I'm glad you guys are keeping an eye on her :)

I e-mailed the CEO of BA and I'm waiting for reply.

I will read more of this thread to find out but has the airfield she's on got CCTV ?

When did it happen ?

What caused it ?

Jetinder
2008-07-02, 08:05 PM

An ex-NYer

I have to strongly disagree.

As far as i remember the anti Concorde movement mainly started in states by people who didnt understand Concorde or where scared of her for some reason.

When tests where done at JFK it was proven that most subsonics of the time where louder than Concorde at take off so she was allowed to use JFK and in time people fell in love with her. Had she not been allowed she would have been used for some thing as we and france had around 7 new Concordes each ready made and able to fly at mach 2 so a use would have been found.

At the time BA and AF where both state owned so it was natural for Concorde to be given to them.

Concorde was a joint venture between France and UK, as tax payers my parents and grand parents + others living both countries fund Concordes development as far as i remember every one in the UK was extremely proud of her, she was a world beating icon and was also used on to celebrate special occassions inc the Queen's golden jubilee.

G-BOAD was used on that day.

We made 14 Concordes at i think the design costs of the scrapped American SST (which never flew).

Concorde was mainly designed to fly from Europe to New York, but it was later proved that Concorde could fly to any part of the world much faster than subsonics.

In the winter months BA use to fly Concorde regularly to Barbados, in the 1980s BA started to make a profit on Concorde so believe me there was a market for her.

The following DVD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concorde-27-Yea ... B0000C668W (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concorde-27-Years-Supersonic-Flight/dp/B0000C668W)

has video of one these round the world flights.

Jetinder
2008-07-02, 08:46 PM
I'm going to give the Intrepid a call.

In the meantime, anyone interested in being a part of a group to help out on this, just post here, or Email/PM me.

I would love to help but I live in the UK so you’re to far from me.

Even the Concorde (in America) is just an "old tired dirty jetliner" to the public majority.

That’s like saying the world thinks the moon was lifeless rock in space, an utter waste of $25 billion and going back there would be “old fashioned”…….but Nasa is going back to the moon, China has plans etc.

G-BOAD is still a world record holder, she is the fastest Concorde in BAs fleet, she is the fastest airline in North America so she is extremely special. Only an AF Concorde was faster than G-BOAD, but the point is Concorde is the fastest airliner in the world, nothing could match her.

Only plane which could beat Concorde long range was the SR71, no other plane not even the USAF B1B could beat Concorde long distance.

The public need to be educated about Concorde and what she is…….. they don’t understand what Concorde could really do.

The technology was decades a head of her time, to fly at mach 2 she used supercruise.

That technology has only recently been used in the latest USAF and RAF fighters........ Concorde had and used that technology up to 4 times a day, every day for 27 years.

She could fly to any part of the world faster than any one else........ think about it.....

She could fly Heathrow to JFK in 3 ½ hrs at twice the speed of sound……. it takes a subsonic plane like 747 and even the “new” Airbus A380 double the time (7-8 hrs) to make the same journey.

Given the choice what would people do ……. spend 3 ½ hrs flying to New York or 7-8 hrs making the same journey ?

People would choose the fastest method.

Even flying subsonic over land she still flew 100 mph faster than other subsonic planes, so she was fast, Strangely she drank more fuel at subsonic speed than at mach 2.

She could have been used to send people to disaster zones across the world and help save lives (as in a disaster the faster you get rescue staff to an area the better chance you have to save more people), but no one thought laterally, no one really used Concorde’s speed and time saving ability.

People say “she was dirty” but before her production was scrapped there where plans to make Concorde B, if development had carried on we could have seen a greener 300 seat version of Concorde by now in regular use with less sonic boom etc

It was all there for the taking……… but no one developed her.

She would have been better off with props, because it could have been tagged as an antique.

Not sure what that means……. If you mean having life size model of her rather than the real plane then I agree.

Chances are excellent G-BOAD will be scrapped.

No way …….. over my dead body…. in the UK would not allow that to happen, we’d rather have her taken apart, put on ship and sent home than be scrapped.

or reclaimed by BA

Not sure …….. some people say Willy Walsh - CEO of BA isn’t interested in Concorde but BA still own her, she is there flagship so he will have to do some thing to keep her safe as the public won’t stand her being scrapped.

Lezam
2008-07-02, 09:15 PM
I am in too. I doubt they would let us do the renovating, but there has to be some way we can raise money to complete it. Maybe use the aviator sports complex to host some sort of charity event?

wunaladreamin
2008-07-02, 09:33 PM
The public need to be educated about Concorde and what she is…….. they don’t understand what Concorde could really do.

Welcome to the fold Jetinder. Here's the thing...the general attitude of people in New York can easily be summed up in five little words..."I don't give a f***." You could educate all you want and most would look at you like those psycho African-American "street preachers" going on and on about how white people are born from Satan. There's not one person on this board who wants to see AD go, and we'd all die a bit inside if she was cut up, but IMO if NY can't/won't take care of her like she needs...we gotta love her enough to let her go. BTW, very impressive with the facts.

G-BOAD
2008-07-02, 11:28 PM
...The following DVD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concorde-27-Yea ... B0000C668W (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concorde-27-Years-Supersonic-Flight/dp/B0000C668W)

has video of one these round the world flights.

I was actually watching this DVD last weekend, and highly recommend it to anyone. After seeing how AD was used in such historic flights it truly hurt me when the next day I saw the aircraft so damaged.

I emailed BA today, (showing them the pictures) and hope they offer some solution.

Jetinder
2008-07-03, 12:20 AM

Welcome to the fold Jetinder. Here's the thing...the general attitude of people in New York can easily be summed up in five little words..."I don't give a f***." You could educate all you want and most would look at you like those psycho African-American "street preachers" going on and on about how white people are born from Satan. There's not one person on this board who wants to see AD go, and we'd all die a bit inside if she was cut up, but IMO if NY can't/won't take care of her like she needs...we gotta love her enough to let her go. BTW, very impressive with the facts.

Thank for welcoming me :)

LOL....... New York people have character LOL thats why they use the F word a lot, saying that Gordon Ramsey (famouse British Chef) uses the F word a lot as well LOL.

I like New York and its people.

I agree with you, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

A bit off topic but those African-American "street preachers" who go on and on about how white people are born from Satan........ are very very stupid and sick people, they have got their facts utterly wrong as every race / religion etc have good and bad people in it, all the white people i met are good people and 99% of my friends are white.

Anyway back to the topic.

I'm glad you all feel the same as me about G-BOAD and I'm glad you guys are doing some thing to high light her plight and try to save her.

On 21 Oct 2003 when i came to NY one of my old Concorde friends drove me to Intrepid........ when i saw it i was horrified and could feel G-BOAD was not going to be looked after........ 4 1/2 years later she's in a very bad way and my fears where correct.

I agree JFK is the best place to show her and if she had been left there she would have had all her engines etc left intact, she can still be moved to JFK now.

I agree if NY can't look after her, then she needs to be moved to a place where she can get TLC...... (how about Kennedy Space Centre next to a Saturn V). Her sister Concordes are well looked after, one is in Seattle at the Boeing museum, one is in Barbados, other 4 are in the UK.

MirrorD was right NY needed a Concorde but before any one considers moving her from NY, people need to contact BA in the USA and UK to high light our worries and see what happens, more people do that more i hope BA will listen and act.

I'm glad you liked the facts...... i've been a Concorde chaser since 1976 (when i was 6-7 years old) and over such a long time you start to appreciate the bird.

RDU-JFK
2008-07-03, 09:10 AM
They should put her along the Van Wyck at the JFK entrance where the Samsung phone is like they used to have at Heathrow...

Jetinder
2008-07-03, 10:15 AM
Would she fit there ?

The one at heathrow wasnt real i think it was 1/2 size model of Concorde.

T-Bird76
2008-07-03, 10:28 AM
Would she fit there ?

Yes it would fit there...but Samsung has a contract with Port for another 2 years at a million bucks a year so that ugly hand is staying for now. The Airport manager at JFK would love her there but there are issues beyond her control preventing the Concorde from returning to her rightful place at JFK.

moose135
2008-07-03, 10:49 AM
Well the folks trolling the a.net forums are pissed (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4050720/)
No Kenny, some of those people have lost their minds! While unfortunate, it was an accident. I doubt someone deliberately intended to damage her.

Unlike what happened in France:

Jetinder
2008-07-03, 12:46 PM
Would she fit there ?

Yes it would fit there...but Samsung has a contract with Port for another 2 years at a million bucks a year so that ugly hand is staying for now. The Airport manager at JFK would love her there but there are issues beyond her control preventing the Concorde from returning to her rightful place at JFK.

Concorde is roughly the length of and width (wing tip to wing tip) of a 747, if there is enough space for her there then that would be good for JFK.

Paris - CDG have a Concorde on display at the airport.

No Kenny, some of those people have lost their minds! While unfortunate, it was an accident. I doubt someone deliberately intended to damage her.

Unlike what happened in France:

Agreed G-BOAD probably did have an accident but was the truck driver (who smashed in to her) blind or drunk....... as even at night you couldnt miss Concorde as she's white and will show up in any head lights.

Ultimately it was Intrepids responsibility to make sure G-BOAD was safe, Intrepid failed that task (as they didnt park G-BOAD in a safe position) and i feel some people in management need to be sacked for this .......... but i bet a mars bar no one at Intrepid will be sacked and i bet they will get G-BOAD back.

Until 2003 G-BOAD was still in full working order, if she'd not been grounded she still would have been safely flying now at mach 2 and unlike other planes (747 etc) there was no upgraded or newer version so in that sense Concorde was timeless and unique....... she was never an "old" or dated plane........

People can say she was " 30 years old ", but in actual flying time she only flew half that (as she got to any place in half the time of a subsonic = less time spent in the air), so was still a young plane and had years of life left in her.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-03, 01:56 PM
Welcome, Jetinder, and all of ours friends from across that pond that I know have been reading this thread here. We will try to do what we can here to make sure that this aircraft is better taken care of.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-03, 04:56 PM
I just took a drive down there to take a look at it for myself, and I was honestly disgusted.

It's one thing for the aircraft to have sustained the damage that it has, but it's clear the Aviator Sports could not care less about this plane.

The area around the aircraft is fenced off, and there is a small pool behind the left wing. There are children running around the ground around the plane, BOUNCING BALLS OFF OF THE PLANE. Those rubber dodge balls, hard-rubber footballs, right off of the engines, the wings and the fuselage.

I've gathered a bit of info about the aircraft, and I will prepare a letter to send to several parties involved with this aircraft from us as an organization. I'll keep you all posted.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-03, 05:35 PM
It's al

DAL777LR
2008-07-03, 05:36 PM
This is appalling!! Such a beautiful plane rotting away. I am ashamed and disgusted. :oops: Lets hope they refurbish it soon.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-03, 05:40 PM
It's always been clear Aviator Sports Complex doesn't give a rats ass about the plane. There is no security around the bird, the guardrails do not keep enough of a zone of safety around her, she is in very close proximity to a driveway, I could go on and on with logistical and tactical issues. Couple that with some savages, and you have a recipe for disaster. I'll be driving by her soon and I'm sure I'll be looking to fornicate with someone's eyesockets afterwards. Phil, iffin there's anything further we can do, let us know and count me in.

G-BOAD
2008-07-03, 06:51 PM
Two more photos:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/June302008Concorde009.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/Concorde5MS.jpg

Jetinder
2008-07-03, 07:14 PM
Welcome, Jetinder, and all of ours friends from across that pond that I know have been reading this thread here. We will try to do what we can here to make sure that this aircraft is better taken care of.

Phil D

Thank you for the warm welcome :) :), i appreciate it.

I'll do my best to be a good forum member :)

After reading your recent comments about G-BOAD i feel greatly saddend and utterly disgusted at the way she's been treated and about British Airways USA not doing a thing about her living conditions.

Her sister Concorde G-BOAB at Heathrow is parked out side the old Concorde hangers see the following photos i took of her on 29 Oct 2007

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0042.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0045.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0046.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0052.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0054.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0056.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0057.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0058.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0059.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0060.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/G-BOAB-29-10-07/App0061.jpg

Anyway I heard BA are still working out what to do with G-BOAB but she has 24 hr CCTV watching her, regular security and armed Police patrols and she is also behind huge tall fence with barbe wire etc so she is very very safe and well looked after by BA staff at Heathrow and there is no way Heathrow Airport would ever allow G-BOAB to be treated as badly as my Concorde.

A few months ago we had a load of tree huggers at Heathrow protesting to stop the 3rd runway being built........ BA and Heathrow staff moved G-BOAB to a safer place so no one could attack her or throw paint on her....... so she is well looked after.

Its a pity G-BOAD in New York hasnt had the same TLC.

I am utterly horrified at how kids are allowed to play under her and wack hard rubber balls at her, she's being treated as badly as the russians treat some of their TU144s......

I thought the Aviator Sports Complex was safer than Intrepid but after what you said I was wrong.

If BA USA ever inspect her she may need body filler to fill the dents or panel beater to get the dents out of the metal before a full respray etc.

If Aviator Sports Complex and Intrepid had better security and had put her in a safer place, the money needed now to restore her to the condition she was in on 10 Nov 2003 would not be needed and could have been spent on other things........ but its clear those guys didnt care.......

I'm appreciate you guys keeping an eye on her and letting us brits know whats happening.

Just wish i could go back to New York and help you guys save her ......... but alas i cant.........

moose135
2008-07-03, 07:52 PM
Since I had the day off today :wink: I ended up down at FBF this afternoon (Phil, we must have just missed each other!) In addition to checking out the damage, I spent some time in the HARP hangar, shooting photos and talking to some of the volunteers (turns out I met one of them last week at FRG with the Red Arrows). They said a delivery truck hit the nose. There is a roadway not open to the public, and the nose overhangs that - you can see it in the photo below. Apparently the guy also hit some of the portable fencing that normally blocks the part of the road under the nose - I did see some mangled fence sections. Although I'm not sure, I got the impression from the guys that the truck may have backed into it.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/324935139_V6UeK-L.jpg

Project Oxcart
2008-07-04, 06:52 AM
Hi

I just joined but I am responsible for the Thread on Alpha Delta"s nose on airliners.net Civil Aviation Forum which is Focusing the Worlds attentions on the Plight of Alpha Delta.

I am also a member of the Concordesst.com forum and a member of the Brooklands Museum Concorde team looking after Concorde Delta Golf.

Mark

:!:

ConcordeBoy
2008-07-04, 06:53 AM
...considering the alleged money situation, when's that supposed to be?

Gerard
2008-07-04, 09:45 AM
[quote="Project Oxcart"]Hi
I just joined but I am responsible for the Thread on Alpha Delta"s nose on airliners.net Civil Aviation Forum which is Focusing the Worlds attentions on the Plight of Alpha Delta.
I am also a member of the Concordesst.com forum and a member of the Brooklands Museum Concorde team looking after Concorde Delta Golf.

AND.........?????

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-04, 09:55 AM
Hi

Mark

:!:

Hi Mark, welcome to the site! Glad to have you.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-04, 05:42 PM
A question comes to mind what has the Intrepid said if anything about the State of Alpha Delta in her present Location/

As there appears to be a total lack of News Coverage on Alpha Delta to me looking in from the out side 3,500 Miles out side that is.

At the momment a lot of news people are getting all flusterd about the French Concorde Trial but I have seen and herd Nothing about Alpha Delta"s nose Problems.

It is almost as though AD dosent exhist at the momment. :shock: :shock: :shock:

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-04, 05:49 PM
Actually, there WILL be news coverage.

I stopped by the Concorde again today and there was a photographer that I know for a certain publication working on an article that we should see very soon. :)

I think we'll see some changes for the better in the near future.

Tom_Turner
2008-07-04, 10:24 PM
Regrettable to see this aircraft deteriorating, and hope it can be restored to good order.

I imagine British Airways will want to have this airliner serving as a marketing tool, if its to be in New York, and in that case, Manhattan is perhaps preferable to JFK (where BA colors can already be seen) ..and also, it suggests there is an interest in the aircraft appearing in moderately clean or in "good condition" to the general public.

Still, its hard to entirely fault the Intrepid, if its true a truck took out the nose cone.
[meaning a rent-a-cop probably would not have prevented this incident..]

I am not sure how many museums had deeper pockets than Intrepid, (until now). They've had to (no choice here) rebuild their pier and repair Intrepid itself if it was to exist into the future. My understanding was there were no takers in New York, in the months before it was shipped off to Floyd Bennett.

(Although the Museum gets low marks in terms of the care of its display aircraft relative to the better in door museums).

I do have one heretical note to add here however. As much as I'd like to see this concorde cared for properly, from an historical perspective, Concorde as such, is well represented in the preservation sphere. Were a tsunami or hurricane blow this one into the Atlantic Ocean, there'd be about a dozen, perfectly preserved examples left. The same cannot be said of the Boeing 707. (Sure the prototype is in pristine condition under the care of the Smithsonian, but that is not representative of the standard model(s) that served and made history in their service).

IF I had my way, the National Park Service would dedicate a good portion of Floyd Bennett field to a Civil Aviation Museum with many large airliners (and of course take care of them).

Tom

Idlewild
2008-07-05, 12:35 AM
I'm with NYC Addict. Floyd Bennett should be allotted space for an aviation museum. It should especially reflect LGA's and JFK's role in making NYC a major aviation influence in the world. And you do that by exhibiting airliners which made it possible. I doubt the NY/NJPA will allow any museum or interactive display at JFK. They're too paranoid and just don't care about history to allow this. I'm very surprised Mayor Bloomberg, who is a pilot and Councilman Anthony Weiner haven't tried to establish some thing like this at Floyd Bennett.

Jetinder
2008-07-05, 05:27 AM
and a member of the Brooklands Museum Concorde team looking after Concorde Delta Golf.

Mark
Mark (Lurch)

Welcome :), In 2004 I was part of the Brooklands team who helped save G-BBDG as well and part of the forum you mentioned.

My name (with many others) is on the plaque near G-BBDG.

They said a delivery truck hit the nose. There is a roadway not open to the public, and the nose overhangs that - you can see it in the photo below. Apparently the guy also hit some of the portable fencing that normally blocks the part of the road under the nose - I did see some mangled fence sections. Although I'm not sure, I got the impression from the guys that the truck may have backed into it.
So the roomers about a truck hit G-BOAD where right, Moose135 thanks for looking in to this well done I really appreciate your help :)

What i can't understand is why wasnt any one watching the truck and telling the driver to stop if he got to close ?

Where is CCTV of this ?

Where are the security guards ?

Why didnt they stop him ?

Couldn't he have found a bit of road 100-200 ft in front of Concorde and reversed there and before he got close to Concorde ?

I'm sorry but from the photos i saw there was a lot of space next to G-BOAD, i can't understand how he failed to reverse in to there.

At airports they use trucks to ferry stuff to / from planes, during her long life in service nothing like this ever happened, but this year it did :( :( :(

I aint an engineer but the forces on it mach 2 must be huge and it was designed to stay in place but that truck must have slammed very hard in to it, to brake it off.

Where is the broken nose cone ?

Did any one get the truck drivers licence plate number ?

When the accident happened were the Police called ?

As there appears to be a total lack of News Coverage on Alpha Delta to me looking in from the out side 3,500 Miles out side that is.

At the momment a lot of news people are getting all flusterd about the French Concorde Trial but I have seen and herd Nothing about Alpha Delta"s nose Problems.

It is almost as though AD dosent exhist at the momment. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I agree but since the bad news i've done my bit in high lighting her case by contacting people i feel could help, but will need to think of many others to contact.

Mark (Lurch)

As hard as its to swallow you need to understand interms of priority the Concorde crash is more "news worthy" than G-BOADs nose being broken (as the crash took lives and was the first of many triggers which in the end grounded the Concorde fleet).

If crash news had been released 1-2 months earlier or after then ADs nose would have been in the news........ Today in The Sun even a cat having kittens is more "news worthy" than Concorde's nose broken
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 384273.ece (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1384273.ece)

doh ................

I doubt the NY/NJPA will allow any museum or interactive display at JFK. They're too paranoid
I can see their point of view as 9/11 planes took off from New York airports so security is bound to be extremely tight.

I'm very surprised Mayor Bloomberg, who is a pilot and Councilman Anthony Weiner haven't tried to establish some thing like this at Floyd Bennett.
Do they know G-BOAD's been broken ?

Jetinder
2008-07-05, 06:12 AM
Still, its hard to entirely fault the Intrepid, if its true a truck took out the nose cone.
[meaning a rent-a-cop probably would not have prevented this incident..]
I’m sorry I have to disagree as that’s like saying when E-Ron went bust, it wasn’t the fault of the management………. of course it was as they where in charge, the “men in power” at E-Ron paid the price and are in jail.

So it is Interpids fault as Concorde was put in their care and responsibility, they should have done what ever to make sure Concorde was safe at all times…….. but they didn’t ………

I am not sure how many museums had deeper pockets than Intrepid, (until now). They've had to (no choice here) rebuild their pier and repair Intrepid itself if it was to exist into the future.
That may be the case and good on them for rebuilding the peer, but all the other Concordes (including the ones in the UK) are very very well cared for and their staff do a brilliant job.

But Intrepid failed ……… big time.

My understanding was there were no takers in New York, in the months before it was shipped off to Floyd Bennett.

So why didn’t they ask BA for hanger space at JFK or other airports ?

Why didn’t they ask the US government for help in finding space at an Air force base ?

Why wasn't she sent to Kennedy Space Centre (which has a port and i guess could have moved G-BOAD to a safe place until Intrepid and finished rebuilding work).

America is huge and with all heavy lifting gear the US military has moving Concorde to safe place would not have been hard.

When Concorde G-BOAA was moved down the river Thames from London to Scotland she had to be taken apart and rebuilt in her new Scottish home.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAA/G-BOAA%203%20April%202004-7-S.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/App0114.jpg

When the Concorde at Brooklands had to be moved from Bristol to Weybridge (Surrey), we safely did this by road so moving G-BOAD anywhere is do-able.

Why didn’t they ask the UK for help and advise ?

Agreed in Intrepids favour G-BOAD was safely to where she is now (and they did a great job J) but as we can see later on in time that was a bad choice ……….

I don’t know what problems they had but they could have done a much much better job of keeping her in a safe place but they didn’t …….

I do have one heretical note to add here however. As much as I'd like to see this concorde cared for properly, from an historical perspective, Concorde as such, is well represented in the preservation sphere. Were a tsunami or hurricane blow this one into the Atlantic Ocean, there'd be about a dozen, perfectly preserved examples left.

No offense but compared to the 707 (which was every where) only 14 Concordes where ever made and flown with regular passengers.

3 where sent to North America inc Barbados and 4 where kept in the UK.

So Concorde is rare than gold dust………and each one needs a heck of a lot of TLC and respect as no other passenger plane could do what she did for 27 years…..

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-05, 06:23 AM
It's very sad to see G-BOAD, knowing that it crossed the Atlantic in 2:52:59, and to see camp counselors bouncing balls off of it after a truck took its nose off. It's beyond poor care, but complete disregard.

Tom_Turner
2008-07-05, 09:35 AM
"Jetinder" wrote

<< I’m sorry I have to disagree as that’s like saying when E-Ron went bust, it wasn’t the fault of the management………. of course it was as they where in charge, the “men in power” at E-Ron paid the price and are in jail.>>

Hi Jetinder.

Well, with EnRon, I do remember the folks on trial claimed to not be aware of the situation, but my impression was that was a legal defense, and what was implied and most of the public believed is that there was "intent" and a scheme. I agree Intrepid is responsible for what has occurred, but I don't feel there was any intent.

"Jetinder" wrote
<<....good on them for rebuilding the peer, but all the other Concordes (including the ones in the UK) are very very well cared for and their staff do a brilliant job.
But Intrepid failed ……… big time.>>

My understanding was there were no takers in New York, in the months before it was shipped off to Floyd Bennett.

Jetinder wrote:

<<So why didn’t they ask BA for hanger space at JFK or other airports ?

Why didn’t they ask the US government for help in finding space at an Air force base ?

Why wasn't she sent to Kennedy Space Centre (which has a port and i guess could have moved G-BOAD to a safe place until Intrepid and finished rebuilding work).

America is huge and with all heavy lifting gear the US military has moving Concorde to safe place would not have been hard. >>

I agree, the tools to do the job right, exist in America, but perhaps not the will to use money to this end. I doubt Intrepid requested Kennedy Space Centre but I do like your ideas. Not to suggest BA is the culprit here, because they obviously are *not*, but I do think they were keen to have plane serve as a marketing tool in New York City and not be tucked away in a hangar.

"Jetinder" wrote:
<< When Concorde G-BOAA was moved down the river Thames from London to Scotland she had to be taken apart and rebuilt in her new Scottish home.

When the Concorde at Brooklands had to be moved from Bristol to Weybridge (Surrey), we safely did this by road so moving G-BOAD anywhere is do-able. >>

Those were impressive operations. Were these paid for by public funds or private? I am not sure anyone would help Intrepid here beyond their regular donors or beyond whatever their normal public sector funding is/was.

"Jetinder" wrote:

<<No offense but compared to the 707 (which was every where) only 14 Concordes where ever made and flown with regular passengers. >>

The fact concorde flew the affluent and celebrities on a regular basis is of marginal interest to me in terms of their preservation vis-a-vis comet or 707, but I assume you meant it was in commercial passengers service. But didn't the Soviet SST fly passengers as well?

"Jetinder" wrote: <<3 where sent to North America inc Barbados and 4 where kept in the UK.
So Concorde is rare than gold dust………and each one needs a heck of a lot of TLC and respect as no other passenger plane could do what she did for 27 years…..>>

It was rare when it was in service compared to other jetliners, but not so sure how true that is compared to preserved examples of other significant jet airliners - The only commercially successful SST, (not counting its Soviet counterpart), counts for a lot, but other considerations make 747, 727, 737, Comet, etc very important as well, and I am not sure we'll see surviving numbers preserved.

What SHOULD'VE had at LEAST one (1) example preserved would be the Pan Am Clipper SeaPlanes, don't you think?

It would be as if nearly all the German Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet Comets and Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe Swallows were preserved in greater numbers than spitfires, B-17s, etc and accorded greater importance.

Tom

Jetinder
2008-07-05, 11:01 AM
"Jetinder" wrote
I agree Intrepid is responsible for what has occurred, but I don't feel there was any intent.

Please forgive me I never meant to say nor imply in anyway that Intrepid deliberately meant to hurt G-BOAD, (some times my typing can be a bit bad and I leave out stuff).

I meant Intrepid was responsible for G-BOAD’s well fare and health.

"Jetinder" wrote
<<....good on them for rebuilding the peer, but all the other Concordes (including the ones in the UK) are very very well cared for and their staff do a brilliant job.
But Intrepid failed ……… big time.>>

I’m very surprised, I would have thought Concorde was prize which any one wanted to have.

It’s a pity Intrepid didn’t look outside New York.

I agree, the tools to do the job right, exist in America, but perhaps not the will to use money to this end. I doubt Intrepid requested Kennedy Space Centre but I do like your ideas. Not to suggest BA is the culprit here, because they obviously are *not*, but I do think they were keen to have plane serve as a marketing tool in New York City and not be tucked away in a hangar.
I agree with you.

From what I heard Floyd Bennett airfield isn’t that easily accessible by the general public or tourists, so how BA would have thought G-BOAD could have been used as marketing tool from there is beyond me.

While Intrepid rebuilt the peer, BA and Intrepid should have moved G-BOAD to a safer place, In Jan 2008 I heard one of her flight deck windows got cracked, proves that airfield isn’t safe.

Looking back it would have been better to store G-BOAD in BA hanger at JFK than leave it to rot at Floyd Bennett.

"Jetinder" wrote
<< When Concorde G-BOAA was moved down the river Thames from London to Scotland she had to be taken apart and rebuilt in her new Scottish home.

When the Concorde at Brooklands had to be moved from Bristol to Weybridge (Surrey), we safely did this by road so moving G-BOAD anywhere is do-able. >>

Those were impressive operations. Were these paid for by public funds or private? I am not sure anyone would help Intrepid here beyond their regular donors or beyond whatever their normal public sector funding is/was.
Not 100% sure who paid fully for the brooklands Concorde, I think it was BA + Brooklands museum + money raised by me and many others which brought her to brooklands for full restoration.

G-BOAA (the one in Scotland) was paid for by BA + museum of Scotland, both moves where huge and in the London area I was there to witness and record it.

With G-BOAD BA should have helped out (as BA still own the plane).

but I assume you meant it was in commercial passengers service.
That’s exactly what I meant J, with Concorde as long as you had the money BA didn’t care if you was the Queen of England or Joe Bloggs living on the dole. As long as you could pay the airfare then any one could fly on Concorde and be as fast as mach 2 fighter pilots.

But didn't the Soviet SST fly passengers as well?
They did but their version wasn’t as good as Concorde.

On paper it was a bit bigger, faster and flew a bit higher than Concorde = in theory better.

But the TU144 (Russian Concorde) had less range than Concorde this was due to its engines using after burners all the time.

Where as on Concorde she used afterburners on takeoff , then to brake the sound barrier (mach 1) as soon as she reached mach 1.7 the afterburners where turned off and the plane continued to fly to mach 2 at full power on supercriuse for 3 hrs.

Supercruise saved fuel and gave Concorde the range she needed to fly to New York or Barbados non stop from London or Paris (the same range a 747 and Airbus A380 has) but Concorde flew 2 ½ times faster than these planes……… think about it.

The TU144 never had this technology, if it had been given better engines then the TU144 would have flown to the USA, but Russians never developed it. The TU144 was just a political thing.

I think the range was Moscow to France at mach 2, the TU144 needed to fly Moscow to New York non stop (which its engines would not let it do as they drank fuel by the lorry load).

If the TU144 had been a real rival to Concorde then I bet the USA would not have scrapped their SST (as they wouldn’t have wanted the Russians having one and USA not having one).

Unlike Concorde the TU144 was a real death trap, in the 1970s it flew for 2-3 years only in the USSR (taking people or mainly first class mail across the USSR), but had a lot of fatal crashes so the soviets took it out of service and grounded it for life.

It was rare when it was in service compared to other jetliners, but not so sure how true that is compared to preserved examples of other significant jet airliners - The only commercially successful SST, (not counting its Soviet counterpart), counts for a lot, but other considerations make 747, 727, 737, Comet, etc very important as well, and I am not sure we'll see surviving numbers preserved.

What SHOULD'VE had at LEAST one (1) example preserved would be the Pan Am Clipper SeaPlanes, don't you think?

It would be as if nearly all the German Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet Comets and Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe Swallows were preserved in greater numbers than spitfires, B-17s, etc and accorded greater importance.
Tom
I fully agree with you, trouble is we are not “men in power” we don’t decide what stays or happens…….. If I had my way believe me Concorde would still be flying now with passengers etc all over the world, I also would have some how got the TU144 in to full service and I would have had “son of Concorde “ being developed but that’s all a dream as I ain’t a “man of power”…….. I ain’t Bill Gates = richest man in the world.

The know how to do it is there…… finding “men of power” with the will and money to make it happen is the impossible task.

On Save Concorde Group we are trying to get a Concorde back for airshows……. technically it can still be done, but we can’t make it happen as so far the “men in power” at BA and Airbus have refused at all cost to let us do it…….. so who knows…..

Gerard
2008-07-05, 11:15 AM
>Floyd Bennett should be allotted space for an aviation museum. <

That would be very cool but it wouldnt be a local issue. FB is part of the National Park Services Gateway National Recreation Area meaning you would
have to deal with Uncle Sam. Good luck on that.

> I'm very surprised Mayor Bloomberg, who is a pilot<

My guess is that he is busy with bigger issues but it is possible he has no clue like all of us did until this thread started.

>Councilman Anthony Weiner <

Forget this guy. He tried to shutdown the West 30 Street Heliport a year or so ago, tried to introduce anti-helicopter legislation for NYC and is
too busy trying to introduce a bill to get 1000 new visa slots for fashion models (I kid you not).
His last name is very appropriate.
:D

moose135
2008-07-05, 11:17 AM
It’s a pity Intrepid didn’t look outside New York.
No one would pay to move it out of NYC, then return it after work on the Intrepid was complete. FBF was a good choice - in NYC, on the water so she could be moved by barge, lots of open space. Unfortunately there was an accident, but that doesn't take away from the suitability of the site.

From what I heard Floyd Bennett airfield isn’t that easily accessible by the general public or tourists, so how BA would have thought G-BOAD could have been used as marketing tool from there is beyond me.
If you are driving, there is a main road right off the Belt Parkway, and while I don't use them, I suspect there are buses that go down that was as well. The Aviator sports complex gets people there, so it's not really inaccessible.

In Jan 2008 I heard one of her flight deck windows got cracked, proves that airfield isn’t safe.
We had a thread about that here - I believe that was caused by water seeping through a window seal and freezing, causing the crack, not vandalism.

Looking back it would have been better to store G-BOAD in BA hanger at JFK than leave it to rot at Floyd Bennett.
That would have been completely inaccessible, not to mention the cost of renting hangar space for two years.

Gerard
2008-07-05, 11:30 AM
>From what I heard Floyd Bennett airfield isn’t that easily accessible by the general public or tourists, so how BA would have thought G-BOAD could have been used as marketing tool from there is beyond me
If you are driving, there is a main road right off the Belt Parkway, and while I don't use them, I suspect there are buses that go down that was as well. The Aviator sports complex gets people there, so it's not really inaccessible.

Flatbush Avenue is the main road that runs past FB. Flatbush Avenue starts at the Manhattan Bridge and cuts right across Brooklyn to the Marine Park Bridge
into the Rockaways. The Q35 Bus goes from Midwood to Rockaway Park down Flatbush Avenue. Just north of FB on Flatbush Avenue is the Kings Plaza Shopping
Center which has numerous buses stopping there. IF a museum WAS built there I would think they would extend some lines and add stops.

Tom_Turner
2008-07-05, 11:41 AM
On Save Concorde Group we are trying to get a Concorde back for airshows……. technically it can still be done, but we can’t make it happen as so far the “men in power” at BA and Airbus have refused at all cost to let us do it…….. so who knows…..

Its amazing to me that Vulcan is flying. It is a shame..nothing technical exactly stopping either concorde or Canopus (comet) from flying an limited airshow circuit.

Cheers,
Tom

Project Oxcart
2008-07-05, 03:13 PM
Camp Counsellors Bouncing Balls of Concorde WTF are these Morons on.

It"s a good job she is in Newyork AD that is and too far for a lot of us to reach her Bouncing Balls of Alpha Delta?!?

When / If BA sends a team over to check AD for them selves and sees any one doing that I can see them going Ballistic.

:shock:

Jetinder
2008-07-05, 04:47 PM
No one would pay to move it out of NYC, then return it after work on the Intrepid was complete. FBF was a good choice - in NYC, on the water so she could be moved by barge, lots of open space. Unfortunately there was an accident, but that doesn't take away from the suitability of the site.
I am really surprised as to us America is the land of the free where nothing is impossible, but in G-BOADs case I was wrong and that’s extremely sad to hear.

Location wise FBF was suitable but in keeping G-BOAD safe no, it was an extremly bad move L

That would have been completely inaccessible, not to mention the cost of renting hangar space for two years.
G-BOAD was meant to kept in semi storage until Intrepid rebuilt the peer so BA or JFK should have given her hanger space or at least space inside JFKs parameter fence.

Its amazing to me that Vulcan is flying. It is a shame..nothing technical exactly stopping either concorde or Canopus (comet) from flying an limited airshow circuit.

Cheers,
Tom
Getting the Vulcan back was a huge achievement and they succeeded as I think they bought the Vulcan and then got all the parts and experts to get her running but there is no way BA or AF would allow any one to buy Concorde.

Second thing is even if some one bought Concorde Airbus would not allow it to fly as they made the parts and issued certificate for Concorde which the CAA wants. No parts and no certificate = no Concorde flying……. so there are a lot of “negotiations”
to cover.

Technically getting Concorde back in the air would not be problem, look at what Nasa did to the TU144 they borrowed so it is possible.

Up to today we have more chance of buying the TU144 and getting that flying that getting Concorde flying………

Camp Counsellors Bouncing Balls of Concorde WTF are these Morons on.

It"s a good job she is in Newyork AD that is and too far for a lot of us to reach her Bouncing Balls of Alpha Delta?!?
On this thread I’ve seen pictures of those dents……… words can’t describe how disgusted and upset I am with the people who did this……….

If some one bounced balls off Air Force 1 and made dents in that the US Police and CIA would go mad, they'd send Rambo, Dirty Harry and Homer Simpson after them for denting the Presidents plane.

But with all due respect Air Force 1 is just a "pimped my ride" 747, its not Concorde so isnt as special as it can never fly as high nor as fast as Concorde......

It would be better if President Bush or the new President Obma could buy G-BOAD off BA and then use her as Air force 1, at least this way she'd be flying at mach 2 and would be extremely well looked after and protected.

When / If BA sends a team over to check AD for them selves and sees any one doing that I can see them going Ballistic.

:shock:
But will they ?……….

BA America could send a team from JFK now to see G-BOAD but has it been sent over ?

I don’t think so and since 10 Nov 2003 why hasn’t that team been watching over G-BOAD which isn’t that far from JFK…………

Tom_Turner
2008-07-05, 05:17 PM
Its a bit odd about Floyd Bennett. The Park Police, as they are throughout the "Gateway National Recreation Area", are ever present, and not shy about enforcing low speed limits, permits, curfews and an array of other "rules", but I have to believe they have viewed Concorde as a gimmick under the supervision/'security" of Aviator Sports, which probably pays good rent to the facility/park.

The easiest solution right now, would be for Mayor Bloomberg to simply "ask" the NYPD to allow concorde to be towed across the airfield anyplace within the considerable space now utilized by the Police Aviation and training unit. That area, once minimum security under the Coast Guard while they based their helicopters there (you could walk right up to the choppers) is now guarded about as well as "Area 51". Again - it is just a short tow away and no more vandalism of any type will occur.

While Intrepid was facing vacating the Hudson River Pier, attempts were made to find a suitable home away from home for concorde on (an interim barge) where it would still be viewable to the public and I believe BA was ok with this. But the Hudson River Park Trust which arguably might've had the space, and South Street Seaport etc. all passed on the offer. I presume Chelsea Piers and others did as well.

btw - Comet Canopus has the same problem getting certification as the concorde now does. Ironically they'd likely have an easier time getting an experimental certificate in the US.

Tom

Tom_Turner
2008-07-05, 05:29 PM
It's very sad to see G-BOAD, knowing that it crossed the Atlantic in 2:52:59, and to see camp counselors bouncing balls off of it after a truck took its nose off. It's beyond poor care, but complete disregard.

You know Phil - This makes me more angry (by far) than the nose being broken off.

At least that was an "accident", and if the those responsible were/are otherwise negligent or under distress such that they are unable to care for the subject properly, at least this can all be repaired or worked out in short order.

But left unattended like this, benighted savages amongst the populace will of course bounce balls off the fuselage. The airframe has an only slightly better chance than a crab or turtle in a "touch and feel" exhibit for school children.

All that was needed was an around the clock security person properly briefed on his responsibilities.. The Fuji, Airshipman and Tommy Hilfiger blimps all stayed at Floyd Bennett in past years, and thats all they required to be safe. Had they been damaged, it would have cost...

Tom

Jetinder
2008-07-06, 12:55 AM
The easiest solution right now, would be for Mayor Bloomberg to simply "ask" the NYPD to allow concorde to be towed across the airfield anyplace within the considerable space now utilized by the Police Aviation and training unit. That area, once minimum security under the Coast Guard while they based their helicopters there (you could walk right up to the choppers) is now guarded about as well as "Area 51". Again - it is just a short tow away and no more vandalism of any type will occur.

That sounds perfect and this way she can be repaired and kept safe at all costs.

Intrepid will need to learn from this lesson and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

This makes me very angry………. These guys are meant to set an example to the young……… bouncing balls off an extremely expensive plane isn’t the way to teach kids to behave and respect things…….

If they went on Intrepid and did the same to the SR71 i bet the Police and US military would have very strong words with them.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-06, 02:33 AM
I myself cannot blame the counselors or the children. Not everyone can be expected to know all about aviation history or the significance of a particular artifact. I CAN, however, expect management of the company that promises to take care of such an artifact, so implement measures to protect it and see to it that those things do not happen.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-06, 01:07 PM
I myself cannot blame the counselors or the children. Not everyone can be rexpected to know all about aviation history or the significance of a particular artifact. I CAN, however, expect management of the company that promises to take care of such an artifact, so implement measures to protect it and see to it that those things do not happen.Gotta disagree with you there Phil. To me, the counselors and children are also partly to blame. The kids for being little savages and doing things they probably knew were wrong in the first place, and the counselors for not stopping the kids from doing what they were doing. Common sence...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-06, 01:16 PM
For all they know, the Concorde could be a fake mockup. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't think that they would actually position a real Concorde unguarded where children could even play to begin with.

There is poor planning on all sides of this.

T-Bird76
2008-07-06, 01:23 PM
I myself cannot blame the counselors or the children. Not everyone can be rexpected to know all about aviation history or the significance of a particular artifact. I CAN, however, expect management of the company that promises to take care of such an artifact, so implement measures to protect it and see to it that those things do not happen.Gotta disagree with you there Phil. To me, the counselors and children are also partly to blame. The kids for being little savages and doing things they probably knew were wrong in the first place, and the counselors for not stopping the kids from doing what they were doing. Common sence...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kenny blame the counselors not the kids...bouncing a ball off of something to a kis is a normal activity. The counselors even if they think its a mock up should have stopped them.

Gerard
2008-07-06, 05:14 PM
>The easiest solution right now, would be for Mayor Bloomberg to simply "ask" the NYPD to allow concorde to be towed across the airfield anyplace within the considerable space now utilized by the Police Aviation and training unit. That area, once minimum security under the Coast Guard while they based their helicopters there (you could walk right up to the choppers) is now guarded about as well as "Area 51".<

To digress from the original topic, I had to laugh when I read this. Back in the 90s when I spent many a weekend at Floyd B. when my kids were young we used to go
by the Air Station and the copters would taxi right past us on the access road to the runway and there was never any security about unless Marine 1 was parked there. PD Aviation was even more open. Had some nice talks with the pilots and looks into the ships.
NOW? FORGET about it!! Too bad.

>While Intrepid was facing vacating the Hudson River Pier, attempts were made to find a suitable home away from home for concorde on (an interim barge) where it would still be viewable to the public and I believe BA was ok with this. But the Hudson River Park Trust which arguably might've had the space, and South Street Seaport etc. all passed on the offer. I presume Chelsea Piers and others did as well.<

Forget that Hudson River Trust. This is the group behind the ending of sightseeing flights at West 30 Street AND the eventual closing and relocation (Hopefully) of
the whole heliport. Too many self important special interest groups in Manhattan (and the other 4 boros) that somehow wield power. Thankfully we do have a
pro-aviation mayor in the house.

Jetinder
2008-07-06, 08:40 PM
For all they know, the Concorde could be a fake mockup. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't think that they would actually position a real Concorde unguarded where children could even play to begin with.

There is poor planning on all sides of this.

It doesnt matter if its a fake or not, they need to have respect for it as it wasnt their property. It belonged to BA and the UK taxpayer who paid for the entire development of Concorde.

Did any one find out who these councellors where as they need to be spoken to by NYC Police and charged for possible criminal damage.

There use to be a fake Concorde on the round-about just outside Heathrow but that was never vandilised or broken as it hand Heathrow Police station 5 seconds running time from there and 24 hr CCTV watching the whole place.

mirrodie
2008-07-06, 08:41 PM
IIRC Anthony Weiner was a vocal ADVERSARY of Concorde. I read the local newspaper on the day of Concordes last flight and he was very much against Concorde.

moose135
2008-07-06, 09:01 PM
Did any one find out who these councellors where as they need to be spoken to by NYC Police and charged for possible criminal damage.
No offense, but, you're not from around here, are you?

I think if you called the police about this, they might get around to coming out sometime next year. Not exactly the "crime of the century" in New York City, even if there was actual physical damage involved.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-06, 09:13 PM
I think if you called the police about this, they might get around to coming out sometime next year. Not exactly the "crime of the century" in New York City, even if there was actual physical damage involved.
And even iffin they did respond, the job would be ****canned to keep crime stats down.

Jetinder
2008-07-06, 10:08 PM

No offense, but, you're not from around here, are you?

Hi Moose135

No offense taken :), you're right I aint from New York, I'm from a small town just outside London in England.

I don't know to much about NYC Police but I'm suprised about how low they'd rate this.

In the UK if anything like this happened the Police would come over pretty fast and start to investigate.

IIRC Anthony Weiner was a vocal ADVERSARY of Concorde. I read the local newspaper on the day of Concordes last flight and he was very much against Concorde.

How powerful is this guy and how come Concorde was allowed to use JFK. if Anthony Weiner was so against her.

On her last day sounds like while the rest of us Concorde chasers (from both sides of the ocean) got very depressed about it I feel he must have been extremely happy inside.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-06, 10:29 PM
Since Aviator is currently in charge of the Concorde, and they are the ones that broke it, do you really expect them to call the cops on themselves?

If I go outside and kick in my own car, I'm not gonna call the cops.

It's also not on public property, and if the Intrepid or BA would like to pursue something, then maybe THEY have that option. As sad as it is, though, I wouldn't call it criminal.

Tom_Turner
2008-07-06, 11:29 PM
The aptly named Anthony Weiner can seem like an okay enough guy, and his power is quite limited at the moment, but unfortunately he is somehow perceived to be a viable candidate to become Mayor one of these days. And for all the issues people may have had with Bloomberg and Guiliani before him, the city has been "spoiled" by having them, considering the rogues gallery/freak show of possible candidates that are ever present in New York.

Again, Weiner does not generally seem terrible, just a bit of lightweight, but when it comes to aviation, this guy is a Demagogue - against concorde, against the heliports, against general aviation in vicinity of the city etc.. Lets hope he stays in Brooklyn; he's not ready for prime time.

moose135
2008-07-06, 11:34 PM
In the UK if anything like this happened the Police would come over pretty fast and start to investigate.
We're talking two different things here - the damaged nose was an apparent accident, not something the police would necessarily get involved with, beyond taking an accident report for insurance purposes (and we don't know that that didn't happen). Kids bouncing a ball against the plane (especially if it didn't cause damage) isn't really a crime that the police will spend time investigating.

How powerful is this guy and how come Concorde was allowed to use JFK. if Anthony Weiner was so against her.
Concorde began passenger operation in 1976 - Weiner was 12 years old at the time, not really in a position to stop it. He is currently the US Congressman representing portions of southern Brooklyn and Queens. He was a member of the NYC Council before that, was unsuccessful in a bid to be the Democratic candidate for Mayor in 2005, and is expected to run for Mayor again in 2009.

Jetinder
2008-07-07, 05:37 AM
We're talking two different things here - the damaged nose was an apparent accident, not something the police would necessarily get involved with, beyond taking an accident report for insurance purposes (and we don't know that that didn't happen).
Thats what happens the UK as well unless its a hit and run.......

Kids bouncing a ball against the plane (especially if it didn't cause damage) isn't really a crime that the police will spend time investigating.
From the pictures Phil showed those balls have caused dents on G-BOAD, so the Police need to find those kids and give them a good telling off..... if that didnt work given them an Asbo (kids version of a criminal record).

Concorde began passenger operation in 1976 - Weiner was 12 years old at the time, not really in a position to stop it. He is currently the US Congressman representing portions of southern Brooklyn and Queens. He was a member of the NYC Council before that, was unsuccessful in a bid to be the Democratic candidate for Mayor in 2005, and is expected to run for Mayor again in 2009.
Ouch sounds like this is a "man of power"and has huge ambition ......... If it wasnt for aviation we'd still be living in the Victorian age (where ships where the fastest way to cross the oceans, but next to planes took forever).

Wonder what he uses for travel when goes to Europe or the rest of the world ........ bet he uses a plane....... yet he is so anti-aviation .......... man that sounds like a mixed up dude.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-07, 08:18 AM
Well the New york Times has spoken about Alpha Delta.

New York Times Story
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/nyreg ... ref=slogin (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/nyregion/07concorde.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=cONCORDES%20NOSE%20OFF&st=cse&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

Gordon posted this on his forum so i thought you should see your local news paper.

Jetinder
2008-07-07, 09:26 AM
Lurch

Thanks for that link :)

Phil and forum members of New York well done :) :) :), the press in USA have noticed G-BOAD.

Pity the press in the UK didnt give a bleeeeeeeeep about it.

Gerard
2008-07-07, 09:35 AM
>Well the New yourk Times has spoken about Alpha Delta.<

Nice. It looks like the group has SPOKEN and they LISTENED!!!! Very cool. And I like how everyone is "upset" and "apologetic". Hell, if we
didnt start ranting here and phone calls etc made by group members NOTHING would have been done. Let's see how long it takes.
So a truck moving equipment from a Jamaican festival at 3AM hit it? "Ya man, we didnt see dat ting. Too much smoke in the cab of the truck ya know
what I mean"? :lol:
BTW I apologize if the above statement OFFENDED anyone. :D

mirrodie
2008-07-07, 12:20 PM
Gerard and all.

I want to thank Mat for bringing these images to our attention.

All I did was let my colleagues overseas see Mat's images and that set the ball rolling.

Last week was an interesting week. Once I posted Mat's link, a barrage of anti-NY rants began, saying how we neglected Concorde. Yet when I brought up the logical argument, that they allowed outright graffiti on one of the AF birds, they went mum.

I have a ton of thoughts about it but it was an accident. Lets get her back to her original glory.

And can we see work on a way of persuading JFK to take her? There is tons of land where it can go and with airport security as it is, it would be protected.

thoughts?

Matt Molnar
2008-07-07, 12:30 PM
She's set to head back to Intrepid later this year according to the Times article, so I don't think she's moving anywhere else.

Jetinder
2008-07-07, 02:02 PM
Once I posted Mat's link, a barrage of anti-NY rants began, saying how we neglected Concorde.

Mario

Old mate as far as I know i never made any anti-NY rants, but i was very upset with Intrepids attitude.

Yet when I brought up the logical argument, that they allowed outright graffiti on one of the AF birds, they went mum.
I agree and i think these days BA Concordes still have a much higher profile than AF ones, but what happened to an AF Concorde was almost as bad G-BOAD.

I have a ton of thoughts about it but it was an accident. Lets get her back to her original glory.
Youre right...... whats done is done and the past can't be changed but G-BOAD now needs to be fixed and kept safe. I hope this will include putting her engines back or if that causes an issue for Intrepid at least make fake fiberglass front and back faces to stop corrosion of the inlets.

New York is bound to have talented artists who can easily do this.

And can we see work on a way of persuading JFK to take her? There is tons of land where it can go and with airport security as it is, it would be protected.

thoughts?
How could we do that ?

Who owns JFK ?

Who's the chairman of JFK ?

I just heard in the UK that Intrepid are implying they don't have enough money for G-BOAD and they want us to help ........ can any one from NY shed any light on this ?

Tom_Turner
2008-07-07, 05:41 PM

thoughts?

Yes, please persuade Port to put her next to the NYCA spotting pavilion.

Tom

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-07, 06:11 PM
I just heard in the UK that Intrepid are implying they don't have enough money for G-BOAD and they want us to help ........ can any one from NY shed any light on this ?

If any help is needed from our end, let me know and I'll coordinate it.

-Phil

Jetinder
2008-07-07, 06:40 PM

If any help is needed from our end, let me know and I'll coordinate it.

-Phil
Nice one mate :), I appriecate your continued help and support :)

On Save Concorde Group i read the following by Project Oxcart also called BA195.

The Aviator Sports company was sold to another group after Alpha Delta had been placed at there facility and the new people decided to renage on the deal that the old owners had set up with Intrepid.

So it is a bit of an iffy thing at the momment as the people whise names are on the Contract with intrepid are not those who now owne the Aviator Complex and as such have decided not to fulfill the Contract agreed with intrepid which is there right under US law.

The only Fly in the ointment is that no one told BA about this change in Aviators willingness to look after AD and then when AD was Damaged by a Truck leaving a Jamacain music festivel at the Aviator complex at 3AM in the morning (Jamacia home of Grass and Bongs) I wonder if the trucker was mashed at the wheel.

No one told BA about the nose being ripped off Now it has been reported in the NEW YORK times so it is public knowledge that AD has had her nose ripped off.
Looks like the lines of communication went down after the other company took over so not sure where the land lies and what else can be done to save G-BOAD.

mirrodie
2008-07-07, 09:38 PM
Mario

Old mate as far as I know i never made any anti-NY rants, but i was very upset with Intrepids attitude.

Jet, not you but just something I have noticed on various threads. Not you at all though.

I agree and i think these days BA Concordes still have a much higher profile than AF ones, but what happened to an AF Concorde was almost as bad G-BOAD.

Disagree on "almost as bad". AD's nose cone was an unfortunate accident whereas F-WTSA was defiled by local graffiti artists. That is vandalism at its worst.

Tom and Matt, I know what the plans are but times change and so I wonder if prevailing heads have as well.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-08, 03:55 AM
I would like to let everyone know that an email has been sent, representing NYCAviation, to Aviator Sports, The Intrepid Museum, BA and other relevant parties, concerning our disapproval for the current state of the Concorde.

In addition, I have posted an editorial that all of you can read here: http://nycaviation.com/editorials#derner070708

wunaladreamin
2008-07-08, 07:34 AM
Very nicely put Phil.

Jetinder
2008-07-08, 07:51 AM
I would like to let everyone know that an email has been sent, representing NYCAviation, to Aviator Sports, The Intrepid Museum, BA and other relevant parties, concerning our disapproval for the current state of the Concorde.

In addition, I have posted an editorial that all of you can read here: http://nycaviation.com/editorials#derner070708

Brilliant job Phil, thank you for your continued support for G-BOAD :) :)

Speedbird1
2008-07-08, 10:02 AM
I am in a state of shock that the nose of my beloved Concorde was broken-off. I read nothing about this in the newspapers or on TV reports. This is how important they regard this. They are busy reporting on the love life of Christie Brinkley and A-Rod. Disgraceful. A truck must have accidentally gone into the nose but where is the piece? Did Aviator at least retrieve it? Shame on them. The droop nose is 1 of the most distinctive parts of the Concorde. I visited in June and except for a cracked windshield, the aircraft looked OK. A security guard harrassed me because I was taking photos from through the fence. Where was he when the damage occurred? Aviator Sports should get a lawsuit. Why should Intrepid have to pay for repairs? Thanks Phil for sending those e-mails. I will also send my own. This is a disgrace; no wonder the British never wanted to give us a Concorde in the first place.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-08, 10:06 AM
Aviator Sports should get a lawsuit. Why should Intrepid have to pay for repairs? The Intrepid isn't going to foot the bill for repairs. It is covered under Aviator's insurance policies. Question is can they secure a new radome?

Jetinder
2008-07-08, 11:46 AM
A security guard harrassed me because I was taking photos from through the fence. Where was he when the damage occurred?
Exactly taking photos of a plane from a public place is normal as Concorde isnt a USAF fighter......... In summer 2003 at Heathrow I had exactly the same problems as you but i also had Heathrow Police badly harrasing me for no valid reason and like you I was taking photos from a public place.......

Now when G-BOAD really needed the security guard who bugged you was no where to be found....... Makes you wonder about things.

no wonder the British never wanted to give us a Concorde in the first place.
But in 2003 BA's "men of power" never ever listened to the public........

JFK was used by both BA and Air France, so Air France could have given JFK one of theirs.......but Dulles Airport in Washington I think got an Air France one.

I didnt mind G-BOAD being given to New York but personnaly i didnt want G-BOAD being given to Intrepid as on 21 Oct 2003 (when one of my friends showed me Intrepid) i had gut feeling it wasnt a good place and i was proved right....... but no one listened to me....

As some one suggested on here JFK have a place which Samsung uses, get Samsung off and put G-BOAD there...... she will never be damaged again.

Question is can they secure a new radome?
You could do but not from the spare parts bin, it would have to be from a private collector as in 2004-2005 BA and Air France sold at auction every spare part they could their hands on.........stuff and manuals they could not sell they threw in the bin .......... Computers and software which was used for Concordes daily life where scrapped or erased, none of them where kept or given to a museum.....

That was an utter disgrace as they in effect sealed Concorde's fate so it would be almost impossible to get one back for airshows etc with out spending huge huge sums of money re-making the spare parts + infastructure etc.

Because G-BOAD will never fly it would be easier and cheaper to talk to Airbus (who made Concorde)

Airbus Americas
198 Van Buren Street Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20170
U.S.A.
Phone: +1 703 834 3400
Fax: +1 703 834 3341

Get the measurements and then get a local car body shop to make the nose out of fiber glass and fit that to G-BOAD.

Or

ask Boeing to make one as they have G-BOAD's sister G-BOAG at the Seattle museum
http://www.museumofflight.org/Display.asp?Page=Concorde

So they could take her nose off, measure it and send the dimensions back to Intrepid to have it made fixing her would not be hard......

Look what they can do to clapped out old rust heaps on Pimp my ride, fixing Concorde would easy for guys like that.

airplanelova93
2008-07-08, 12:01 PM
Oh my goodness ! My morning is ruined. To see such a beautiful bird in bad shape. She belongs in the air once again, and if she will be treated this way, put her at JFK or the Cradle of Aviation !

Matt Molnar
2008-07-08, 12:26 PM
This has now become a pretty substantial international story, with The Associated Press putting out a piece on their wire this morning and republished by their hundreds of affiliates worldwide: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hPgb ... wD91PIMCO1 (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hPgbfgLUpP6J0vFBj8VKv6xafKSwD91PIMCO1)

NY1 also picked up the story: http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=83519 (http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=83519)

Gothamist did a post yesterday which links to this thread: http://gothamist.com/2008/07/07/concorde.php

Some good news:
Intrepid president Bill White has promised the nose will be fixed within a couple weeks, and issued an apology to British Airways, stating that Intrepid and/or Aviator should have provided better security.

I hope they do something about the pigeons, too, as I think that is just as disturbing as the broken nose.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-08, 01:29 PM
Well the News took it"s time getting out but Once the New York Times Started the Ball rolling every one else followed along real fast and now AD is an International star again.

Which is making life hard for any one who has been mistreating AD I am wondering how many people have been sending diasproving e-mails to the Intrepid and Aviator it would be interesting to find out but it"s probably not somthing they will whant to talk about. :D

Jetinder
2008-07-08, 02:05 PM
Well the News took it"s time getting out but Once the New York Times Started the Ball rolling every one else followed along real fast and now AD is an International star again.
The person who started the ball rolling was G-BOAD for putting photos on here and telling the world what was going on and Phil-D as he contacted the press, The New York times finally printed it, the others are now following the lead.

In the UK today I've contacted most of the national newspapers about it but so far i aint had any replys from them.......... so who knows if they will take notice ?...........

The fact that more press in the USA is taking it up shows people in the states do care about G-BOAD and i hope G-BOAD will be better cared for.

As for Intrepid........ so far i aint written to them...... dunno if i will........ but I'm glad they've said sorry to BA and glad they will step up security.

If Alan Sugar had been in charge of BA i feel he would have said to Intrepid you're fired, give me back my Concorde and lets put her at JFk........

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-08, 03:39 PM
Yes, a big hats off to member "G-BOAD" for literally getting it all started. His photos were referenced in the NY Times article and it just continued from there. Excellent work. :)

Derf
2008-07-08, 04:03 PM
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328071062_C6NpA-L-1.jpg

Security now looking after BOAD
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328061598_W5Tmn-L-1.jpg

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328064376_pWMXu-L-1.jpg

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328064837_Mrocu-L.jpg

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328067438_HVUwH-L-1.jpg

Security
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328065695_dFMc5-L-1.jpg

What is this chipping underneath?
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328070486_KpzdG-L-1.jpg

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328074735_Yjt6u-L-1.jpg

http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/328075171_cZJKQ-L-1.jpg

Project Oxcart
2008-07-08, 05:19 PM
They should beware the revenge of G-HOST.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/markredgwell/GHOSTCAUGHTINFLIGHT.jpg

The GHOST of Concorde based at Exeter England. :shock:

Alpha Delta could use a wash as the black lines on her side are Rain Streaks that all Concorde"s get after a few weeks out in the open.

The Chipping is probably where the hatch has been used and the paint has got damaged and not been repaired.

Speedbird1
2008-07-09, 11:01 AM
I agree this is disgraceful. You can register your complaints at [email protected] and at [email protected]. Evidently, a truck driver moving equipment from a Jamaican event at 3 AM struck the aircraft. What happened to the nose cone? Is the driver responsible for the cost of repairs? Is the aircraft insured? The Intrepid has financial difficulties caused by the new pier built for the Concorde and the refurbishing of the carrier. At least the Concorde will no longer sit on a rusty old barge. Imagine what Londoners must think of us Brooklynites. If we sent over Air Force One for them to display in London, for example, and they cracked the windshield and broke pieces off, etc. What would we think?

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-09, 11:04 AM
Speedbird, most of your questions have been answered throughout this thread already.

Aviator Sports is already well-aware of our displeasure as well.

eric8669
2008-07-09, 11:04 AM
I took a ride over there yesterday. It really is a shame the condition the concorde is in.

And who's bright idea was it to put a swimming pool right next to it?

moose135
2008-07-09, 03:35 PM
There is a story in the UK's Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2273991/US-leaves-Concorde-gift-from-UK-to-rot-in-airfield.html) about G-BOAD, with a quote from "US air expert Phil Derner Jr"!

Derf
2008-07-09, 03:37 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1398378.ece

I was talking to a reporter to make sure they got the facts straight and gave Phil her number......

I made sure she understood that the widow was not cracked by impact and this is what we get! :borat:

I wish just one time they would listen and get the story straight. UGH

Matt Molnar
2008-07-09, 03:41 PM
There is a story in the UK's Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2273991/US-leaves-Concorde-gift-from-UK-to-rot-in-airfield.html) about G-BOAD, with a quote from "US air expert Phil Derner Jr"!
Hmm, name sounds familiar.

cancidas
2008-07-09, 03:51 PM
well at least there is now media coverage back in AD's homeland. this may be enough to get BA especially to force those in charge to restore alpha-delta to her former glory. i just hope that the bad info that was published by the media doesn't come back to haunt either Mr. Derner or our group.

Matt Molnar
2008-07-09, 03:52 PM
i just hope that the bad info that was published by the media doesn't come back to haunt either Mr. Derner or our group.
Why would it?

Jetinder
2008-07-09, 04:04 PM
Yesterday I contacted the Telegraph about her, they never replied to me but today they did a story on her so they must have taken some notice of my e-mail.

Jetinder
2008-07-10, 04:18 AM
I heard this from a friend in the UK

From this morning's BA News:
[quote:20ip008p]
It's a nose job for Concorde

Engineers will travel to New York to assess damage to a Concorde that is on loan to the USS Intrepid Museum. Concorde "Alpha Delta's" nose cone, which was damaged after being hit by a lorry, will be repaired in the next few weeks.[/quote:20ip008p]

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-10, 11:06 PM
Ok, here's an update for all of you.

I finally spoke with Bill White, the Intrepid President, today. He is very grateful for our organization (namely, G-BOAD) to bringing this to the Intrepid's attention, as they don't know how much time would have passed before they learned about the nose damage and the general treatment of the aircraft.

He said that they have worked with BA to create standards for how the plane will be treated until its return, and Aviator is complying with that.

The perimeter around the aircraft will become secure and will be guarded 24/7.

As for us, he said there does not seem to be too much that we can do at this time. However, though he feels it's unfortunate that it took this Concorde issue for us to be introduced, that he promises that he will get us involved with various programs and events at the museum.

A big thanks to all of you who helped out with this. We, as a group, really did make a difference here, and I hope you are all proud.

Jetinder
2008-07-11, 04:45 AM
Ok, here's an update for all of you.

I finally spoke with Bill White, the Intrepid President, today. He is very grateful for our organization (namely, G-BOAD) to bringing this to the Intrepid's attention, as they don't know how much time would have passed before they learned about the nose damage and the general treatment of the aircraft.
I'm sorry but its hard to understand how Intrepid could not easily find out G-BOAD's state.

He said that they have worked with BA to create standards for how the plane will be treated until its return, and Aviator is complying with that.

The perimeter around the aircraft will become secure and will be guarded 24/7.
They should have done this from day 1 (10 Nov 2003) and not now when the damage is very very bad.

As for us, he said there does not seem to be too much that we can do at this time.
With the greatest of respect if it wasn't for us my Concorde G-BOAD would have still been rotting in hell and would have got worse........ we (and the person G-BOAD) alerted the world to what happened and (in our own way) we all helped in saving her..... so we have done some thing.

However, though he feels it's unfortunate that it took this Concorde issue for us to be introduced, that he promises that he will get us involved with various programs and events at the museum.
I'd like to be involved but due to distance (3,500 miles) i can't physically take part.

A big thanks to all of you who helped out with this. We, as a group, really did make a difference here, and I hope you are all proud.
I'm proud to be part of this group :) and proud that as part of this group i helped to save G-BOAD in her hour of need (as from my end i told the UK press, the BBC, BA and US Ambassadore about it.) ........ better than last week when there was no coverage.

But we still need to keep an eye on G-BOAD and make sure she is well looked after.....

wunaladreamin
2008-07-11, 09:43 AM
I sure the others do too, but I've stopped by AD on a few occasions, and I can say with some certainty that nobody expected to see the show of disregard displayed here.

Great catch Mat! You got the ball rolling and made a real difference!

Concorde2YYZ
2008-07-11, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone!,

I learned about AD's damage on A.net little while ago, i informed our Museum's curator and board members about the damage that AD suffered while being totally neglected being in NYC!, I also asked them to look into with BA with possibility to have her brought here to Toronto as Concorde has flown in and out of Toronto since it first flight in 1979 till last flight on i believe 2nd October 2003 almost twice or thrice a year. I was at top of T1 when she flew into YYZ on 1st and then fly out on 2nd October 2003 for it's last flight to Canada. I didn't believed when i saw thousands of people who came to see her were all around the airport's perimeter. Some of them didn't believed that she was flying for 30 years as they thought it was only couple years old airplane!. I would like to join your organization in order to help restore AD back to it's glory or to bring her to Toronto YYZ. It will be honor for us Canadians to preserve her in her glory that she deserves and not how New Yorkers have treated her...

New Yorker's least you guys could give her a wash!!...

Regards

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-11, 11:12 AM
Thank you for joining. However, I find your introductory post to be incredibly rude.

"New Yorkers", as in all of us, did not do this. This isn't a "New Yorker" blaming point. The fault lies not on "New Yorkers", but on management of Aviator Sports, who neglected the aircraft.

If you read a few posts above, or the other news articles that have been out lately, you'd see that the problem is being rectified, and the aircraft is being rstored within the next couple weeks and will be much better protected. Hence, there is no need, and no chance, of it leaving NY anytime soon, to anyplace such as Canada.

Not pointing out you, "Concorde YYZ", but I'm getting tired of all of the media and our international "friends", who seem to continue to say that "Americans" or "New Yorkers" "destroyed" the Concorde. It is racist towards Americans, and extremely unfair, as there are just as many Americans here, as seen on this site, who care immensely about the Concorde and are ready to dedicate as much time necessary to see to it that the prior incidents do not happen again. We New Yorkers and Americans are the very reason it got so much media attention, or was even brought up to begin with. It is incredibly disrespectful and irresponsible for the media of all people to cast blame again "America". the Telegraph is guilty of this with their headline "US leaves Concorde gift from UK to rot in airfield." The fools that I've seen over at Anet, should be ashamed at their comments, and I would love to see these reporters and other people who sit behind their computers say it in front of us on this side of the pond.

If you're going to post like that, do it elsewhere, as your time spent here will be short-lived. You should be THANKING New Yorkers for holding Aviator Sports accountable and pushing hard to solve the problem on the local level, bucko.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-11, 01:01 PM
Thank you for joining. However, I find your introductory post to be incredibly rude.

"New Yorkers", as in all of us, did not do this. This isn't a "New Yorker" blaming point. The fault lies not on "New Yorkers", but on management of Aviator Sports, who neglected the aircraft.

If you read a few posts above, or the other news articles that have been out lately, you'd see that the problem is being rectified, and the aircraft is being rstored within the next couple weeks and will be much better protected. Hence, there is no need, and no chance, of it leaving NY anytime soon, to anyplace such as Canada.

Not pointing out you, "Concorde YYZ", but I'm getting tired of all of the media and our international "friends", who seem to continue to say that "Americans" or "New Yorkers" "destroyed" the Concorde. It is racist towards Americans, and extremely unfair, as there are just as many Americans here, as seen on this site, who care immensely about the Concorde and are ready to dedicate as much time necessary to see to it that the prior incidents do not happen again. We New Yorkers and Americans are the very reason it got so much media attention, or was even brought up to begin with. It is incredibly disrespectful and irresponsible for the media of all people to cast blame again "America". the Telegraph is guilty of this with their headline "US leaves Concorde gift from UK to rot in airfield." The fools that I've seen over at Anet, should be ashamed at their comments, and I would love to see these reporters and other people who sit behind their computers say it in front of us on this side of the pond.

If you're going to post like that, do it elsewhere, as your time spent here will be short-lived. You should be THANKING New Yorkers for holding Aviator Sports accountable and pushing hard to solve the problem on the local level, bucko.http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/apr2008/crowd_clapping.gif

Jetinder
2008-07-11, 01:23 PM
Phil

I agree with what you say but give this guy a 2nd chance, ok he's put his foot in his mouth but i dont think he intended to be so rude.

Welcome Concorde2YYZ.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-11, 01:26 PM
I didn't ban him, he's got more than a 2nd chance.

G-BOAD
2008-07-11, 04:45 PM
Yes, a big hats off to member "G-BOAD" for literally getting it all started. His photos were referenced in the NY Times article and it just continued from there. Excellent work. :)
Thanks Phil; and great editorial!

thanks for using my photo :D

Concorde2YYZ
2008-07-11, 05:26 PM
Phil,

With all due respect that was not my intend to do so, i'm sorry if it came across to you in that manner. We got got slammed like that by Americans when our S Connie left our country and was bought by MOF!, but none of us looked at guys from your end in this way, we tried our best to keep it here but wasn't successful.

Anyhow i'm glad that you guys took upon yourselves to do good for this aircraft, yes it was neglected by few not all and those few are aware whom they are. Other thing is if i was to trash anyone i wouldn't had asked to join your efforts in my original post, this clearly means i'm with you guys to help in rectifying this situation and give this Queen it's elegance and grace back once again that she deserves.

As for trying to bring her to Canada, well that's a lonng shot and it does show that we will accept it if there is a need to be.

Cheers

Jetinder
2008-07-11, 08:10 PM
As for trying to bring her to Canada, well that's a lonng shot and it does show that we will accept it if there is a need to be.

The same could be said in bringing her back home to the UK and placing her near the London Eye but that won't happen....... If she was going to be moved it would (I feel) go to JFK.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-11, 09:15 PM
Phil,

With all due respect that was not my intend to do so, i'm sorry if it came across to you in that manner. We got got slammed like that by Americans when our S Connie left our country and was bought by MOF!, but none of us looked at guys from your end in this way, we tried our best to keep it here but wasn't successful.

Cheers

Thank you very much. We will keep our international friends posted with updates. :)

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-15, 10:31 AM
Here's yet one more article in today's Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bro ... floyd.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/07/14/2008-07-14_retired_concorde_suffers_damage_at_floyd.html)

Gerard
2008-07-15, 06:35 PM
Here's yet one more article in today's Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bro ... floyd.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/07/14/2008-07-14_retired_concorde_suffers_damage_at_floyd.html)

Funny that I caught this in the Brooklyn edition of the Daily News that a co-worker had. Usually I read the Bronx edition but he is on
vacation.

Derf
2008-07-16, 02:20 AM
I feel bad about the guys over at the Intrepid....This really blind sided them and they sound pissed......or (outraged) and now doing everything they can to fix Concorde now that international focus is upon them. I imagine that the overhal of an AIRCRAFT CARRIER must take up a lot of the small staff's time. Over at the AAM, everyone thinks of the aircrafts around them as "their" responsibity. When Felix was there, I was draining the water after every rainfall (but nobody asked me to and never really understood I was doing it often until later.....It was my responsibility. When I would read the early articles they all looked like they were throwing the blame at the Intrepid. That was until Phil started talking to everyone in the media.
Thanks for all you have been doing to make sure people print articles that really show the true story.
And Mr. White....for being just as red in the face as the rest of us.

Derf
2008-07-16, 03:19 PM
Last Landing shot of her, How I will always remember her!
http://derf.smugmug.com/photos/333055277_98W9d-L.jpg

Jetinder
2008-07-16, 04:39 PM
I witness G-BOAD leave heathrow for the last time.

Below are my notes of the event
http://www.leconcorde.eu/com_forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

These are the last photos i took of her take off from Heathrow

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD-2%20101103-S.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD-3%20101103-S.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD-1%20101103-S.jpg

Project Oxcart
2008-07-16, 05:59 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/ ... n_divx.flv (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/markredgwell/?action=view&current=Boston_divx.flv)

G-BOAD on her visit to Boston before ending her days in Newyork!

Derf
2008-07-16, 06:27 PM
Some more :borat:
http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70056863_DdBam-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70056125_AyfnL-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70055489_ZB5Ae-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70055038_hfJc5-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70055220_x2uke-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70055822_gCp5N-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70056367_eeAEb-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70057016_LT7aF-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70057170_wov9P-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70057637_2hikQ-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70062676_gULY5-M-1.jpg

http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/70064220_xRFpi-M-1.jpg

Jetinder
2008-07-17, 05:05 AM
I took these in 2003 at Heathrow

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD/G-BOAD%207pm%2030%20July%202003%20take%20off-RAW.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD/Scan10072-Small.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.sira/Photos/Concorde/G-BOAD/17%20Aug%2003%207pm%20take%20off%20-%203-w.jpg

albury
2008-07-17, 07:20 AM
This Concorde or any Concorde's should never been sent to the US in the first place!
G-BOAD should have been sent to RAF Cosford instead!
If it had been it would not be in the same state it is now.
Think it is time to bring this aircraft back to the UK where it will be looked after!
What's the betting this aircraft ends up at NASA!!!!!!!! :evil:

wunaladreamin
2008-07-17, 08:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/coverdog/aw_jeez.jpg

Have you read ANY of the above posts?

Matt Molnar
2008-07-17, 09:28 AM
This Concorde or any Concorde's should never been sent to the US in the first place!
G-BOAD should have been sent to RAF Cosford instead!
If it had been it would not be in the same state it is now.
Think it is time to bring this aircraft back to the UK where it will be looked after!
............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Derf
2008-07-17, 11:11 AM
Come on guys.... LETS REALLY FACE IT. It should go to France so it could get a new paint Job. :borat: They know respect!

(MY ABOVE STATEMENT IS NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, JUST THE SAME SIMPLE MINDED VIEW AS THE ABOVE STATEMENT) I am tired of being put in the same gene pool as a $5.00.hr camp counselor and a disrespectful Sports complex that lied and got out of a contract through a legal loophole. I understand that people want to vent, the simple minded poster only probably seems that way because he did not read the thread but wanted to vent. He probably will never post here again. Just wanted to stir up our ant farm.

Do not let this waver us, he and us have the same goal, preservation of a historic aircraft. His intentions are good, but it seems he needs to read more and try to understand the situation.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-17, 01:36 PM
We have a similar gene pool over here in the UK the sooner they get into the Darwin Awards the better.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

To be honest Cosford was a non starter as BA was pulling the funds for the BA museum up there and eventualy that BA museum got the chop.

Also landing at Cosford in a Concorde would have made a rite mess out of the Aircraft and the nere by Rail line and Station as the Runway at RAF Cosford is to Short for a Concorde.

Which is why no operational Concorde ever landed at Cosford they did fly pasts at Airshows but never touched down.

The only Concordes that could have gone to that museum are G-BOAA now at East fortune and G-BBDG now at Brooklands.

G-BOAB is still at LHR and is most likly to remain there for a long time!

:D

Jetinder
2008-07-17, 04:06 PM
To my friends in America please do not take offence, I'm glad G-BOADs in New York, just not happy with her present condition but i need to answer the following so please forgive me.

Welcome Albury :)

In Oct - Nov 2003 you and countless others + the UK press should have told BA at the time, you lot should have put huge huge public pressure on BA but none of you lot ever did that............

After my Concorde flight on G-BOAD I tried my very very best to tell the press and public to save Concorde but NO ONE took any notice of me.......... they ignored me like I was dirt......(the press had more respect and took more notice of a useless Big Brother winner.........)

When G-BOAD and her sisters flew off people believed the "official" line by BA and Airbus, the public stood there like sheep and let it happen. But now you lot are moaning about bringing her home and why was she sent to the USA etc etc ......... Well its to late mate........you lot should have moaned a lot stronger about it in Oct 2003.

In the last 10 years merchant bank JP Morgan bought shares in Chase Manhatten Bank and took control, same principle could have been applied to BA.

BA is a public limited company, enough people could have come together bought a 51% stake and stopped Concorde from being grounded or sent abroad. But NO ONE, not even the high powered city high flyers in London and Wallstreet with their £1 million xmas bonuses ever did that........ If they had Concorde could have been saved and still flying now..... but hey instead the tax payer wasted countless millions £ keeping the empty millenium dome "empty" for years.

G-BOAD is in the USA and thats where she'll stay, if Intrepid wont look after her she'll moved else where, but she is never coming back home to the UK.

G-BOAD should have been sent to RAF Cosford instead! If it had been it would not be in the same state it is now.
Agreed but BA management and Intrepid should have kept closer eye on G-BOAD and not let her rot....... they didnt and G-BOAD got badly hurt.

From what I recently heard at BA's recent AGM the current chairman and CEO have no interest in Concorde....... so work out your own conclusions from this.........

Dream on........... due to expense this will never happen, she's been in bad condition for years so it would cost countless millions of £s / $s to get her back to airworthy condition and no one not even Bill Gates would do that. I'm also part of Save Concorde Group and on there none of us have thought about G-BOAD for Return To Flight as it would way cost to much.

By ship she could brought home like G-BOAA but again it would cost a huge amount to move her 3500 miles.

Not sure if G-BOAD could fit on to a "small" Royal Navy carrier, you could ask the US Navy to borrow a Nimitz class carrier to ferry G-BOAD home. But in all cases when you got to the UK where could you move G-BOAD from the docks and fully intact ?

BA or the UK government will never spend so much on bringing Concorde home.

My friends here in America (on this forum) are doing their very best to tell the world about G-BOAD, they are doing their very best to save her and to keep an eye on her ...........

So why can't we in the UK give thanks to these guys and help them where we can.....

Let it...... with their endless money and "rocket scientists" if NASA can get the TU144 back in flight getting G-BOAD would be just as easy and i'd love to see G-BOAD fly.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-27, 04:56 PM
Jet

Leave it alone.

Alpha Delta is getting better now that enough of a Search Light has been put on her by every one on this site and the Press who eventualy woke up and got involved.

Going off on one of your holy crusades will only cause more problems for AD than fix them. :!:

Jetinder
2008-07-27, 06:16 PM
Phil

What is happening to G-BOAD...........

Since I wrote my last post things in the UK press have dried up, there was a mention on breakfast TV about her but that was it ...... have you guys been to see her ?

What state is she in now ?

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-27, 11:17 PM
We have started our weekly inspections of the Concorde, and have conducted two so far.

Both show the Concorde to be better protected in terms of perimeter fence (no gaps, rails under the nose, etc.) no children playing near it anymore, and different security, this time from the Intrepid as opposed to Aviator guards.

No new damage, and we've yet to see the nosecone repaired as of yet, though the remainder of the radome was removed.

I'll let you know how it all looks once we conduct this week's check.

Jetinder
2008-07-28, 05:35 AM
Hi Phil

Brilliant news :) :) you have made my day :) :)

A huge pat on the back and a thank you from me to every one from here who's helping out in New York and a thank you to Intrepid from me.

Have you got any photos of how she looks now.

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-28, 10:14 AM
There are a couple of photos, but they were taken by others. I'll see if those who took them (people on the Concorde team that we assembled) will post them for you. :)

Speedbird1
2008-07-28, 10:45 AM
Doesn't the trucking company that crashed into Concorde's nose have any liability? Aren't they insured? Why should the Intrepid Museum have to foot the whole bill? They are short on funds because the original towing operation from the Hudson pier was unsuccessful and had to be re-done. What happened to the Concorde part that was broken-off? Was it retrieved or was it stolen? Nobody seems to know. Shouldn't Aviator Sports chip-in, too.

Jetinder
2008-07-28, 11:08 AM
There are a couple of photos, but they were taken by others. I'll see if those who took them (people on the Concorde team that we assembled) will post them for you. :)

Phil

I look forward to seeing them :)

wunaladreamin
2008-07-29, 03:52 PM
Jetinder, as requested...photos as of one week ago.

http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/336874469_iBDH8-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/336874757_xFueP-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/336875090_7jEcm-L.jpg
http://kennys.smugmug.com/photos/336875611_EPwcN-L.jpg

Jetinder
2008-07-29, 05:02 PM
Hi wunaladreamin

Thank you I really appreciate you doing this for me :)

She looks a bit better than before (as the rough bits of the nose have been taken off), but there are scratches on the edge of red rear flaps.

I ain't moaning about it, just very glad she's been looked after a bit better now.

I wish will all my heart I could be part of your team (who goes to see her once a week) but living in the UK and 3500 miles from New York I can't do it, by saying this I'm not asking for any sympathy or pitty......but hope you understand I do want to help where I can.

I really appreciate you guys keeping an eye on her and letting us outside the USA see her through your eyes and words :)

Many many thanks to you and keep up the brilliant work :) :)

moose135
2008-07-29, 07:06 PM
I wish will all my heart I could be part of your team (who goes to see her once a week) but living in the UK and 3500 miles from New York I can't do it, by saying this I'm not asking for any sympathy or pitty......but hope you understand I do want to help where I can.
Sure you can - just use Google Maps to check up on her once in a while :wink:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.5 ... 4&t=h&z=19 (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.590435,-73.898557&spn=0.001041,0.002414&t=h&z=19)

wunaladreamin
2008-07-29, 07:18 PM
Moose, that's an old pic. Her nose is still on!

SengaB
2008-07-29, 08:01 PM
WOW, Jetinder,
I have heard your name along side the Concorde for many years now especially about your unique efforts to fly on the Concorde before it was retired.

He's here now on NYCA in the flesh er..text.

Senga

Jetinder
2008-07-29, 10:20 PM
WOW, Jetinder,
I have heard your name along side the Concorde for many years now especially about your unique efforts to fly on the Concorde before it was retired.

He's here now on NYCA in the flesh er..text.

Senga

Hi Senga

Its good to hear from you and its good to be on here :)

I heard about this forum on the internet and decided to join as you all sound like a great bunch of people :) :)

I do love Concorde.

From age 6 to age 34 3/4 i chased her around Heathrow Airport and took countless photos of her.

On 21 Oct 2003 (thanks to my Concorde friends in the UK and USA) I did fly on her and loved every second of it.:)

When i got home i wrote a huge 500 page trip report about how it all happened and the flight including transcripts between my pilots + Heathrow ATC and as we came in to JFK transcripts between my pilots + JFK ATC.

Although my flight happened 4 1/2 years ago I need to find time to put it all on the internet as I feel Concorde belongs to the world. Before memories fade every one who flew on her or worked on her should put their memories down on paper so people of the future can understand what Concorde really was as Concorde was unique.

By saying the above I'm not trying to upset any one, this topic has been seen over 6000 times and it shows every one loves Concorde :)

In a few years time Richard Branson will be flying people in to short low earth orbit trips. (Similar to Alan Shepard's Mercury-Redstone flights). The people who fly these trips should write down or video their experiences as I would love to hear how they felt for their first time in space.

wunaladreamin
2008-07-29, 10:29 PM
By saying the above I'm not trying to upset any one, this topic has been seen over 6000 times and it shows every one loves Concorde :)

I don't think you've upset anyone here Jetinder. I'd like to hear of these unique efforts used to fly on the Concorde, as I'm sure others would. I'd bet it's a helluva story. Anyway, you've been nothing but respectful and concerned, and your posts have truly shown your love of flight and more specifically of the Concorde.

Project Oxcart
2008-07-30, 04:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/markredgwell/sinaporeconcordeAD.jpg

G-BOAD when she was just starting her Life as a Super Model.

:mrgreen:

Gerard
2008-07-30, 07:09 PM
Hey guys and girls the Encore Mystery Channel (352 on iO Cablevision on L.I.) this Saturday morning at 2AM is showing.............
"The Concorde: Airport '79"
Maybe they were watching this board :lol:

SengaB
2008-07-30, 10:46 PM
Jetinder,
I recall reading some of post and longs about the Concorde.
Do you happen to know my friend from Manchester? His name is Jez Homer. Hes a Avid Concorde Buff like yourself. He has spend a lot of time working on repainted some of examples.
Senga

Jetinder
2008-07-31, 04:50 AM
Jetinder,
I recall reading some of popst and longs about the Concorde.
Hi SengaB :)

I don't know what the above means....... doh

Do you happen to know my friend from Manchester? His name is Jez Homer. Its a Avid Concorde Buff like yourself. He has spend a lot of time working on repainted some of examples.
Senga
I know Jez Homer he is one of my best friends and is one of the nicest, warmest and most genuine people you'll ever meet :)

In 2003 me and Jez use to chase Concorde around Heathrow, you're right he loves Concorde as much as me, his Concorde videos are great.

I never heard of Jez repainting real Concordes, i guess you mean he spent he lot of time building and re-painting Concorde models (as kids I guess we all did that a lot).

At Manchester Airport their's a guy called Neil Lomax, like Jez he is one of my best friends and he looks after G-BOAC (the Concorde next to the airport).

PhilDernerJr
2008-07-31, 01:02 PM
Feel free to chat by PM, guys.

SengaB
2008-07-31, 06:26 PM
Yes,
I figured you would know him. Yes is a very cool guy.
He flew on the Concorde to NYwhen he came to visit me once. He was sitting to my right when I flew into CGX a few years back.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Cgx-17.jpg

Jetinder I'll PM you as Phil suggested.
Senga

Jetinder
2008-07-31, 07:11 PM
Feel free to chat by PM, guys.

Phil

Sorry about that I didn't mean to upset any one by my last post.

Adeel
2008-08-01, 12:01 AM
photo i took of G-BOAC two Saturday's ago arriving into a rainy MAN

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2905/photo0251dl4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2905/photo0251dl4.97bd45fc9b.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=529&i=photo0251dl4.jpg)

Jetinder
2008-08-03, 09:26 PM
Thats a great photo as you can almost physically feel how wet and cold the day was.

Did any one get any photos of G-BOAD when New York had snow ?

When she goes back to Intrepid will she have a tent put over her (when they know) bad weather is coming as her sisters have or will have hangers to go in to.

Gerard
2008-08-04, 09:44 PM
>When she goes back to Intrepid will she have a tent put over her (when they know) bad weather is coming as her sisters have or will have hangers to go in to.<

LOL, uh not to be disrespectful, but you are kidding arent you?

Jetinder
2008-08-05, 03:42 AM

No worries :)

I ain't kidding just wondering what will happen to her in bad weather when
she goes back, will Intrepid put a tent or marquee over her to protect her ?

Gerard
2008-08-05, 07:03 PM

No worries :)

I ain't kidding just wondering what will happen to her in bad weather when
she goes back, will Intrepid put a tent or marquee over her to protect her ?

Open to the elements 24/7, 365.
At least as far as I know. Then again what the heck do I know. :D

Gerard
2008-08-07, 03:53 PM
[quote="Gerard"]Hey guys and girls the Encore Mystery Channel (352 on iO Cablevision on L.I.) this Saturday morning at 2AM is showing.............

Watched this "movie" last night and boy was it Baaaaaaad!!!! But some cool Concorde footage.
Hey i didnt know that the Concorde could do barrel rolls, loops and violent evasive maneuvers? Here it can.
But on a serious side, I read on the IMDB board for this yarn that the plane used in the movie, F-BTSC was the Air France Concorde that crashed
on take-off in 2000 in France killing all on board. That's a little creepy.

Jetinder
2008-08-07, 08:33 PM
Hey guys and girls the Encore Mystery Channel (352 on iO Cablevision on L.I.) this Saturday morning at 2AM is showing.............

Watched this "movie" last night and boy was it Baaaaaaad!!!! But some cool Concorde footage.
Hey i didnt know that the Concorde could do barrel rolls, loops and violent evasive maneuvers? Here it can.

I watched that a few times and I agree with you, it was a bad movie with the classic "plastic" stereo type actors, the scenes with the real Concorde in it where great though.

The original Airport (one with the 707 stuck in snow) was the best out of the lot.

Jetinder
2008-08-13, 10:25 PM
Phil

Has there been any update on G-BOAD ?

Have you got any new photos of her ?

wunaladreamin
2008-08-13, 10:28 PM
Jetinder, nothing's changed as of yet. Current photos were taken by someone else who may or may not post them here.

jbaggott
2008-08-27, 12:14 PM
HI

I am a English guy in New York and the other day cycling around flat bush I saw G-BOAD in this state in a car park, when I was 17 I too stood in a car park, but it was Heathrow airport and I watched the first passenger maiden flight of Concord out of the UK. I cant tell you how sad I am to see her in this state. I have checked the UK news sites including the BBC and the truck indecent has not made it to the UK.

Count me in for any groups who want to help G-BOAD

John

Speedbird1
2008-09-06, 12:53 PM
I just learned that British Airways has agreed to pay to repair the broken radome from Concorde G-BOAD at Floyd Bennett Field. I still don't know if the original piece will be used or if a totally new part will be used. What happened to the broken piece anyway? Was it retrieved or stolen? Concorde fans would prefer the original piece be re-attached, if possible. I still feel that the trucking company causing the accident should be liable but the case would have to go to court and could take years to settle. I have avoided seeing this Concorde after the accident. Seeing a Concorde with a broken nose is like seeing a Broadway musical with no orchestra.

Jetinder
2008-09-06, 08:03 PM
I just learned that British Airways has agreed to pay to repair the broken radome from Concorde G-BOAD at Floyd Bennett Field.
Thats brilliant but G-BOAD is in Intrepid's care so Intrepid or more accurately Floyd Bennett Field / the truck which hit her should have paid for it.

I still don't know if the original piece will be used or if a totally new part will be used.
From the photos i saw on here i guess the nose would have been very very badly damaged, considering G-BOAD will never fly a car body repair shop (see firms like ones on Pimp my ride) could have done a brilliant repair job to it with fiber glass....... but who knows.

Concorde fans would prefer the original piece be re-attached, if possible.
If the original was not broken or was repairable then yes, if the nose is to badly broken then its best to have a new one put on her.

I still feel that the trucking company causing the accident should be liable but the case would have to go to court and could take years to settle.
I agree.

Seeing a Concorde with a broken nose is like seeing a Broadway musical with no orchestra.......... it hurts like hell but no use crying over spilled milk....... whats done is done, best thing to do is get her fixed and make sure she is safe.

Matt Molnar
2008-09-07, 01:23 AM
I would imagine the fabrication cost of a nose cone built to original specs is well higher than the value of the truck that hit it! Not even worth suing.

PhilDernerJr
2008-09-07, 02:41 AM
The nose will be fixed at FBF just before they move the plane next month.

Jetinder
2008-09-07, 03:21 AM
Since her grounding, since BA and Air France sold off or scrapped all of her spare parts i'm not sure if they had a spare nose cone lying around......

I would imagine the fabrication cost of a nose cone built to original specs is well higher than the value of the truck that hit it! Not even worth suing.
It depends on wether or not BA chose to make it to original specs or wether they chose to go just for looks and had one made which looks original but nothing else, after all she'll never fly so whats the point of spending huge sums making one to original spec....... dunno.

The nose will be fixed at FBF just before they move the plane next month.
Brilliant news :) Next month is the 5th anniversary of my flight on her from LHR-JFK, so moving her to safe place will be perfect timing.

Speedbird1
2009-01-06, 11:19 AM
I also concur with all the postings. I am especially ashamed as I am a Brooklynite. Aviator Sports was entrusted with caretaking for an historic airliner and did not do a proper job. Besides the nose incident, I saw graffitti, Concorde engines exposed to the elements, etc. It's now amusing that the guard at Aviator yelled at me several times for taking so many photos through the fence. Where was he when the truck crashed into the aircraft? I had visited the Concorde on several occasions there before the nose damage and had a great time at Floyd Bennett Field. Private tours were given of the old Control Tower and the hangar with old aircraft is great! After the damage, I refused to visit, as I would find the images too disturbing for me as an avid Concorde fan. Fortunately, she was repaired but now it costs over $20 to visit her at the Intrepid Pier. I am grateful for Phil's editorial as he echoes my feelings. Hopefully, G-BOAD will be well-guarded by the Intrepid

Gerard
2009-01-06, 07:59 PM
>Fortunately, she was repaired but now it costs over $20 to visit her at the Intrepid Pier.

Well if you are spending $20 just to visit the Concorde then that is steep but last I looked there are a ton of things to
do at the Intrepid and $20 aint so bad.
:)

Jetinder
2009-01-06, 08:17 PM
Besides the nose incident, I saw graffitti, Concorde engines exposed to the elements, etc. It's now amusing that the guard at Aviator yelled at me several times for taking so many photos through the fence. Where was he when the truck crashed into the aircraft?
You have nothing to be ashamed of, you and others on here did your very best to tell the world about her and to keep an eye on her.

Thanks to you guys in New York we all saw how badly she was looked after by Floyd Bennett Field.

What amazes me is how the security staff started yelling at you for taking photos, but didn't do a thing to stop that truck from ripping her nose off. You didn't do anything wrong, you didn't do anything bad.

Those security guards are a bunch of idiots, if they did their job properly then none of the damage and heart ache would have happened.

$20 is steep to see her but if Intrepid look after then good on them. if you do go on her and you're allowed to go to the back you'll see my seat next to the window.

Speedbird1
2009-01-07, 01:11 PM
I contacted the Port Authority back when G-BOAD was looking for a home and I got a response. They weren't interested in giving her a home. JFK would have been the perfect place, too. They gave several reasons, including no room but I forgot the others. I agree with the other posters here that JFK has plenty of room, especially at the main entrance at the Van Wyck. Instead, they are using that space for advertising signs. I also believe that they don't want to see a steady crowd of aviation enthusiasts coming to see G-BOAD on a daily basis. The Port is not "camera-friendly", if you know what I mean. Also, housing the Concorde gives the PA no revenue. How could they charge to see an aircraft outside in the open? Money is probably the real reason. Do you think if the Intrepid Museum was free to the public that they would accomodate the aircraft? No way!

Speedbird1
2009-01-07, 01:19 PM
Thanks for your support and understanding. The guards by the Concorde in Brooklyn were very nasty as you say. Unfortunately, the accident where the truck crashed into Concorde's nose happened in the middle of the night, when the guards were off-duty however Aviator Sports should have had surveillance cameras turned-on 24/7. I can't say if that would have helped but maybe it would have. Another problem, the fence they built around "Alpha-Delta" didn't fully extend to protect her droop nose. Her nose was hanging over the fence so she was a sitting target just waiting for that accident to happen. Again, I point fingers at both Aviator Sports as well as the driver of the truck.

Jetinder
2009-01-07, 08:18 PM
Speedbird1

You're welcome :)

I contacted the Port Authority back when G-BOAD was looking for a home and I got a response. They weren't interested in giving her a home. Thats basically the same story with BA. On the surface they are "interested" in Concorde but from what i heard unofficially their managers don't care.

Its extremely depressing and sad to think that the flag ship of my country is now being treated like rubbish by every one who was meant to look after her.

G-BOADs sister G-BOAB is still at Heathrow outside the old Concorde hangers see
http://concorde35mm.110mb.com/page18.html

there where roomers to get her put inside or outside the new Terminal 5, but so far thats not happened.

When any one tries to speak to Heathrow management about her, they don't get a reply so who knows whats happening to her.

Gerard
2009-01-07, 10:26 PM
>Although at the time her nose was busted there where no "patrolling" security guards, as you said they did have 24 hr CCTV and they could have easily got the trucks number plate from that and fined the driver.<

Actually he wrote "They SHOULD HAVE HAD surveillance cameras turned on 24-7" but they really didnt need them since wasnt
the truck there contracted out to remove equipment from some type of fair? Would have been easy to ask the fair organizers
the name of the moving/trucking company that was used. And not even sure if legally anything could have been done against
the driver. Maybe sue the company to pay for fixing the broken nose.
Did anyone contact the National Park Service about the damage as they are one of a number of official partners of Aviator.
The whole list is on their website (including the US Army).

sirscorgie
2009-02-20, 06:05 PM
the people that did this should be locked up for this (no offense). but this is something we thought of,designed and built and conquered.
concorde when i went to see it about 4-5 years ago when i was around 8 i was said that it wasent flying anymore but these are kept in perfect flying order and could probably still take of today.
but the pics that i have now seen from the one we gave you is bad.such an achievement lying there unwanted were ther are loads of airports in the uk that are probably willing to sell themselves just to get one of these on their land for even a minute.

ps son of concorde rumors spread that a son of concorde that would travel twice as fast as her old sister is a concept idea.

and this is what there meant to look like
http://www.grouptravelorganiser.com/ass ... llsize.JPG (http://www.grouptravelorganiser.com/assets/4/14/Concorde_fullsize.JPG)
concorde at manchester IN WORKING ORDER with all seats cockpit and bits still attcacthced even has her own hanger.

http://www.grouptravelorganiser.com/assets/4/14/Concorde_fullsize.JPG