PDA

View Full Version : We're a competitor of Anet?

flyboy 28
2008-06-12, 11:59 PM
So in my late-night browsing of Wikipedia, I was on Anet's article and saw this;

The site competes with both commercial and hobby websites such as JetPhotos.net and PlanePictures.net which have an international character, a new site that is gaining popularity is AirspaceOnline.com Further competitors with a more local focus are, for example, NYCAviation.com (from New York City), DetroitSpotters.com (from Detroit) and VIE-Spotters.net (from Vienna).

Is that really a fair thing to put out there? I know our administration probably didn't write that, but "competitor" doesn't seem quite accurate...

-James

wunaladreamin
2008-06-13, 09:45 AM
I think it's a true testament to how far the site here and in Detroit have come to be recognized in the same breath as something as huge as a.net. It may not seem like alot to you but we are almost 700 members strong, which when you think about it, is a ton of aviation geeks (said lovingly) in a non aviation geek area.

moose135
2008-06-13, 10:06 AM
Is that really a fair thing to put out there? I know our administration probably didn't write that, but "competitor" doesn't seem quite accurate...
Well, pretty much anyone can write anything they want in Wiki, but honestly, with the way things are right now, is Anet really any competition to NYCA? :D

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-13, 10:40 AM
Ultimately, at this time, I would not consider NYCA an Anet competitor. They are a photo database, while we are an enthusiast community. Flat out, I simply do not feel that Anet serves the community, nor can they, as they are in their own tight niche of being a photo database.

As NYCA expands into our national site, I do think that you will see us mentioned in the same breath more often. Our message boards WILL most certainly compete with Anet's, and will better serve the community of aviation enthusiasm. Why, you ask? Well, you'll just have to wait and see.

I am flattered and proud of the attention that NYCAviation has received from enthusiasts and the media over the past several years. Our local community has some outstanding talent and dedicated members, and it's been noticed around the world. We've now grown beyond the 5 boroughs, and have ACCIDENTALLY become a national site on our own....hence our natural, demanded expansion that we've been working on behind the scenes.