PDA

View Full Version : Spotting info request for Montreal YUL airport

tipek
2008-06-12, 02:13 PM
Guys,

Any last minute spotting info on Montreal YUL airport? I've got some info from the web but there is not that much.
Anything will be greatly appriciat4d.

Thanks,
Rafal

Iberia A340-600
2008-06-12, 06:14 PM
YUL is by far one of the best airports I've been to in terms of spotting locations, this is were I obtained all the information:

http://contrailsphotography.com/spottingyul.html

Here are some links to my pics from 3 different visits:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8182&hilit=YUL (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8182&hilit=YUL)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9133&hilit=YUL (http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9133&hilit=YUL)

SengaB
2008-06-13, 02:17 AM
I had already spoke to you over the phone. But I found it next to impossible to shoot there back in 2004.
By the time we found a spot nothing came in.

Senga

tipek
2008-06-14, 09:04 AM
For me this airport is in top 2 worst airports to take pictures at, right after GSO. I wasted 2.5hrs in the morning looking for a morning spot for runway 6L.
I was looking for spots marked on contrailsphotography.com site. Completely useless.
How do you send people to the busy cargo center with 12' tall fence in front of you???? They don't give you directions how to get from spot 1 to spot 2. If they were all at the airport then I would understand this, but they are off-site so you have to wonder around for a long time in the web of tiny streets hoping that you will find decent spot.
The only good spot that I found is for afternoon (2pm) for runway 24R/06L. But then again, you eather have to stand up on the top of your car or need something to elevate you over wooden fence. Again, no directions on how to get there in above mentioned webpage.

In terms of movements this airport is B-O-R-I-N-G. Don't get me wrong, they get some interesting visitors but overall I would expect bigger volume of birds passing by this airport. Roughly they have one arrival every 10-15 minutes. In the evening (6pm to 8pm) I've got two airplanes landing - one of them was AE ERJ-140 and second one was UAX EMB-170.

Anyway, I've got most of the birds that I was hoping to catch. But there are still few left on my to-get list. I will post my shots from yesterday tomorrow.

Take care,
Rafal

SengaB
2008-06-14, 09:15 PM
Rafal your experience with YUL was EXACTLY like mine in 2004. By the time I found a spot I was too scared to leave it for for fear I would either not find it again or get lost away from the airport. I ended up like taking three 4 shots when I was there.

Senga

markg
2008-06-14, 11:41 PM
Rafal,

THere's some things of interest over at YMX that you should get before coming home!

Mark

SengaB
2008-06-14, 11:56 PM
Mark,
Hes already gone to sleep. LOL
I'm sure he has what came in as he has been there for 2 days in a row.

Senga

Mateo
2008-06-15, 08:39 AM
I'm just seeing this now; based upon the types and c/s seen in the example photos, it looks like the guide was written a while ago, before the entire southwest corner of the airport was reconstructed to expand the terminal and build the new transborder finger. It was a project that took almost 4 years, and things were constantly changing during construction, so it's tough to tell what was good and what wasn't good at any set point in history. And, yes, traffic can be sparse at times.