PDA

View Full Version : Delta Launches Salt Lake's First Trans-Atlantic Service

Matt Molnar
2008-06-02, 04:14 PM
Press release:

Delta Launches First Trans-Atlantic Flight From Salt Lake City With Nonstop Service to Paris
New flight positions Delta as the only U.S. carrier to operate nonstop service to French capital from the Western United States

SALT LAKE CITY, June 2, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL), today begins nonstop service between Salt Lake City International Airport and Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport. The flights, operating as part of Delta's joint venture with SkyTeam partner Air France, will be the first trans-Atlantic service ever offered by any airline from Salt Lake City and will be the only nonstop service operated by a U.S. carrier between the Western United States and Paris.

"We are pleased to be able to meet the growing international demand with Delta's first trans-Atlantic flight from Salt Lake City," said Glen Hauenstein, executive vice president - Network and Revenue Management. "With the launch of service to Paris, Salt Lake City and the Western United States are just one stop away from the rest of globe."

Delta will operate daily service with a Boeing 767-300ER aircraft seating up to 216 passengers.

Paris is one of the most famous destinations in the world with attractions such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre museum; while Salt Lake City boasts "the Greatest Snow on Earth" with access to some of the United States' best skiing, hiking and mountain biking. Customers traveling beyond the capitals will have numerous connecting opportunities as Salt Lake City and Paris combine to offer more than 200 destinations beyond their city limits.

The new route is expected to offer significant cargo lift in both directions. From Paris, top shipments will include cosmetics, fashion garments and wine, while Salt Lake City's chief exports will include machine parts, computers and information technology equipment.

Delta's new nonstop service between Salt Lake City and Paris beginning June 2 is scheduled as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Flight Departs Arrives Effective Flight Time
170 Salt Lake City Paris June 2, 10hr 15min
at 5 p.m. at 11:15 a.m. 2008
(next day)
171 Paris Salt Lake City June 2, 11hr 10min
at 10:20 a.m. at 1:30 p.m. 2008

Customers traveling to, from or through Salt Lake City will enjoy Delta's recently upgraded facilities offering more spacious, convenient and efficient check-in thanks to state-of-the-art self-service technology throughout the terminal. The multimillion dollar overhaul supports Delta's commitment to providing customer-focused technology along with helpful, personal service as it continues to expand its reach from one of its fastest growing hubs.

Additionally, customers flying in the business cabin on Delta's new flights between Salt Lake City and Paris will enjoy enhanced service including new seats with improved cushioning and the same 60 inches of legroom and wide-angle recline that have made BusinessElite(r) a customer favorite. Customers will experience new innovative food offerings designed by celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein, original wine selections by Andrea Robinson, exclusively designed signature cocktails by nightlife proprietor Rande Gerber and industry-leading, on-demand, personal in-seat entertainment boasting more than 20 first-run and popular classic movies, a variety of TV programs, a broad range of music, and a suite of 12 video games. Delta recently added full-size pillows, duvets and modern and stylish dinnerware to its onboard offerings.

With the added service to Paris, Salt Lake City becomes Delta's fourth trans-Atlantic gateway, supporting the largest network of routes offered between the United States and Europe by any global airline. With its summer 2008 schedule, Delta operates service to more trans-Atlantic destinations than any other carrier with service between the United States and more than 45 cities. From Salt Lake City, Delta currently offers 328 peak-day departures to 105 destinations.

Delta Air Lines operates service to more worldwide destinations than any airline with Delta and Delta Connection flights to 324 destinations in 62 countries. Delta has added more international capacity than any major U.S. airline during the last two years and is the leader across the Atlantic with flights to 43 trans-Atlantic markets. To Latin America and the Caribbean, Delta offers 600 weekly flights to 62 destinations. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 16,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Including its SkyTeam and worldwide codeshare partners, Delta offers flights to 474 worldwide destinations in 104 countries. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

The Delta Air Lines, Inc. logo is available at http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=1825

Corporate Communications
+1-404-715-2554 (U.S.)
+44-208-867-6262 (Europe)

Lezam
2008-06-02, 11:11 PM
Delta is really pushing this longhaul thing

Idlewild
2008-06-03, 11:34 AM
There was no other scheduled non-stop trans Atlantic service from Salt Lake before this? I'm shocked. Maybe I'm stereotyping but I thought the Mormon population alone constituted a heavy trans-Atlantic service to Africa for missionary work. Speaking of which is Delta intent on wooing the French or the Mormons with the wine and booze innovations?

T-Bird76
2008-06-03, 03:10 PM
There was no other scheduled non-stop trans Atlantic service from Salt Lake before this? I'm shocked. Maybe I'm stereotyping but I thought the Mormon population alone constituted a heavy trans-Atlantic service to Africa for missionary work. Speaking of which is Delta intent on wooing the French or the Mormons with the wine and booze innovations?

You're right about the LDS church, they send tons of people overseas for recruiting work...sorry they don't do missionary but try to recruit. So I'm surprised they didn't have a nonstop before this. For some reason though I'm thinking Western might have had a DC-10 to London at one time.

Alex T
2008-06-03, 03:16 PM

You're right about the LDS church, they send tons of people overseas for recruiting work...sorry they don't do missionary but try to recruit. So I'm surprised they didn't have a nonstop before this. For some reason though I'm thinking Western might have had a DC-10 to London at one time.

They did but only from ANC and DEN. Using the DC10.

Alex

adam613
2008-06-03, 04:15 PM
The Mormons call them "missionaries", although as Tommy pointed out it's recruitment. And they don't send a lot of people to Africa; they do send a lot to Europe, but not nearly enough to justify nonstop airline service.

Salt Lake City is big, and it's growing rapidly, and it's a hub for Delta...I don't think this is much different business-wise from CO flying CLE to LGW nonstop.

T-Bird76
2008-06-03, 05:18 PM
OH it just came to mind...if you ever want to seek revenge on someone...submit their name and address to the LDS's website...they'll get Mormans on their door step all the time! hehe :twisted:

RDU-JFK
2008-06-04, 10:09 AM
I was at SLC last night and killed some time by the CDG flight's gate before my flight to JFK...gate area seemed very quiet 1.5 hours before the flight...