PDA

View Full Version : New Airliners.net look..... trippy

nwafan20
2008-05-29, 05:21 PM
The airliners.net homepage is changed.... I don't like it. Screw Demand Media turning it into one of their other sites..... Gagh!

P.s. if your ISP's cache hasn't updated yet, here is the new look:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/nwafan20/air1-1.jpg

Lezam
2008-05-29, 07:49 PM
They changed it for a brief period yesterday as well, it is definitely not an improvement from the current one. Its much harder to navigate, and is not eye pleasing whatsoever. From a designers point of view, this isn't such a smart move.

T-Bird76
2008-05-29, 07:56 PM
Wow there's the last nail in that coffin... Man it really looks bad..the fonts are terrible, hard to read, and cheap looking. It should be interesting to see the fire storm this causes, lol

cancidas
2008-05-29, 08:05 PM
that is disgusting. :oops:

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-29, 08:15 PM
I think it's much more cleaner and organized than the previous one....which was a big mess of everything on the page.

As we are rebuilding our own site here, I'd like to learn exactly what you like and dislike in detail.

T-Bird76
2008-05-29, 08:27 PM
I think it's much more cleaner and organized than the previous one....which was a big mess of everything on the page.

As we are rebuilding our own site here, I'd like to learn exactly what you like and dislike in detail.

Please, not what A.net did...

wunaladreamin
2008-05-29, 08:33 PM
Phil, iffin it ain't broke...

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-29, 08:59 PM
Phil, iffin it ain't broke...

You're right. I think the previous site was messy, but people were used to it. I do think the new page is a bit cleaner, but it wasn't necessary. It doesn't look very professional either.

Iberia A340-600
2008-05-29, 09:10 PM
It really doesn't look professional at all, there is way too much on the home page.

Facebook looks light years more professional then the new site does.

cancidas
2008-05-29, 10:40 PM
i think they did themselves in when they got rid of this:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/anetbanner.jpg

maybe i'm too simple a person for my own good but i actually liked the original layout of the siteway back in the day. everything was on the first page and the site focussed on the pictures taken by photog around the world. yes they do that now as well, but it's gone far beyond just pictures. the front page of the site has been flooded with content that was never intended to be on the site in the first place. the site in an of itself contributes to the competition of the "spotter community." thier current "logo" only shows the favoratism that runs rampent throughout the site.

adam613
2008-05-29, 10:58 PM
I don't hate it. But it's certainly not an improvement. And even if it is broke, don't fix it unless you can really fix it :P

Lezam
2008-05-29, 11:25 PM
Its really cheap looking, very unorganized, and too long

stuart schechter
2008-05-29, 11:31 PM
I hate it, plain and simple, not eye-pleasing and just cheezy. Even the a.net crew doesn't like it that much

I don't like the way the text in each thread is centrally aligned either

LGA777
2008-05-30, 11:13 AM
Even the a.net crew doesn't like it that much

I'm sure much of the a.net crew is embarrassed, I know I would be if I was one of them.

What a Train-Wreck the new front page is, just horrible. I think this may become a bigger black eye for demand media than the photo use fiasco some time back. And what they should do is realize they broke something that wasn't broken and admit they screwed up and just change it back (that's what I would like) but their ego is probably to big and their respect and knowledge of their customer base is to small for them to probably do that. I know Johan made out very well in the site's sale but still I would love to see the look on his face when he first saw the new front/home page. I'll bet Chris Kilroy loves it though, he must be estatic.

Cheers

LGA777

stuart schechter
2008-05-30, 02:08 PM
Man JP just keeps getting stronger every day!

cancidas
2008-05-30, 02:26 PM
What a Train-Wreck the new front page is, just horrible. I think this may become a bigger black eye for demand media than the photo use fiasco some time back. And what they should do is realize they broke something that wasn't broken and admit they screwed up and just change it back (that's what I would like) but their ego is probably to big and their respect and knowledge of their customer base is to small for them to probably do that. I know Johan made out very well in the site's sale but still I would love to see the look on his face when he first saw the new front/home page. I'll bet Chris Kilroy loves it though, he must be estatic.
so that would be the second time they've done that... i'd honestly love to see it happen.

T-Bird76
2008-06-01, 07:55 PM
Well based on the top viewed photos of the last 24 hours traffic must have crashed at A.net. The top photo only has 2600 views? That's an all time low for A.net.

AA 777
2008-06-02, 12:51 AM
Well based on the top viewed photos of the last 24 hours traffic must have plumped at A.net. The top photo only has 2600 views? That's an all time low for A.net.

Tom -

Ive been noticing the same thing....probably because its so damn hard to find the top photos of the past 24 hours, let alone anything else on the front page. :evil: These people could run an airline because they SUCK at it :roll:

T-Bird76
2008-06-02, 08:40 PM
On a related note...A.net has lost Sam Chui....

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/

Take a read at the left side...big loss for A.net.

stuart schechter
2008-06-02, 11:18 PM
And he's all over JP now.

Lezam
2008-06-02, 11:19 PM
Can we boycott a.net for their new design? It might sound stupid, but obviously they plan to restructure the whole thing. They have already taken everyones photo rights away, they are bound to do something else soon. If enough people switch to j.net for a week, demand would have to listen to the userbase.

moose135
2008-06-02, 11:29 PM
A.net didn't take anyone's photo rights. You are welcome to boycott them - personally, I don't upload there, but I haven't uploaded to A.net from before the DM deal. I read their forums regularly (much more lively that JP's forums) and occasionally check out the photos, although it's mostly when I am looking for something in particular.

mirrodie
2008-06-03, 10:24 AM
re: photo views.

those are erroneous due to bug.

re: Sam Chui. Regarding that, just remember there are TWO sides to a story. And yes I know both sides.

PhilDernerJr
2008-06-03, 02:07 PM
Regardless of the reasons...Sam Chui leaving Anet is ONLY Anet's loss, and is a huge hit to them posibly losing his fan base.

lijk604
2008-06-03, 02:18 PM
re: photo views.
those are erroneous due to bug.
re: Sam Chui. Regarding that, just remember there are TWO sides to a story. And yes I know both sides.

There are always two sides to a story, but DM's actions over at Anet, whether you like them or not, have alienated a bunch of photogrpahers. With all the BS over the TOU issue, and now the redesign that is not overwhelmingly favored, (just look at the forums), DM is ths only loser here, for a photographer of Sam Chui's caliber to leave them is huge. The real question is, will he keep photos already submitted up there or will he pull them off. If he pulls his photos, is a huge blow to them. It's really sad, Anet used to be a great resource, now things area so screwed up it's not funny.

The bugs can always be explained as bugs, but for the ego's of those who post there, for them not to see their hit numbers grow, is troubling.

moose135
2008-06-03, 02:39 PM
The bugs can always be explained as bugs, but for the ego's of those who post there, for them not to see their hit numbers grow, is troubling.
You always hear some people claim "it's not about the number of hits..." that is, until there is a problem and there are no hits registered. :roll:

lijk604
2008-06-03, 02:43 PM
You always hear some people claim "it's not about the number of hits..." that is, until there is a problem and there are no hits registered. :roll:

...and I know a few of them. :?

mirrodie
2008-06-03, 03:05 PM
Understand I am not defending Sam, ANet or anyone. Simply stating facts without my opinion.

lijk604
2008-06-06, 10:34 AM
Understand I am not defending Sam, ANet or anyone. Simply stating facts without my opinion.

I don't think anyone questioned that fact Mario. We were just saying that for Anet to lose Sam, no matter what the reason, its a big hit for Anet. That's all.