PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Parts for My Vehicle

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-15, 10:07 PM
I have a nice stereo in my truck, and because of that, I have a completely useless section of dashboard which is where the stock radio resides.

I would like to pull that out and put in something from a cockpit. Does anyone know where I can get old aircraft parts for cheap? IDEALLY, I'd like a radio stack face that I can hookup to a scanner and an antenna so I can listen to frequencies through my seakers with a panel that works. Or maybe I could get an old artificial horizon or an altimeter.

If not, I'll go for anything really. Anyone have any ideas?

GrummanFan
2008-05-15, 10:35 PM
A heading indicator might actually be useful. I'm still searching for one, but until I find one I have a compass-type thing that is used on boats.

moose135
2008-05-15, 10:36 PM
Maybe you can track down this guy for some ideas :D

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11693 (http://www.nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11693)

cancidas
2008-05-15, 11:14 PM
phil, how about an actual aviation radio? that's somethign i wanted to pu into my bronco when i had it, it had the room to do so. you can even buy ones that are meant to run on vehicle power. i know that icom makes them, don't know where to get uesd ones. try asking your mx folks at work if they know of any used avionics shops. i'll see what i can dig up on my end.

RDU-JFK
2008-05-16, 10:52 AM
Phil,
Check out the below link. Scroll down to the middle of the page and click on the 'For Sale: Rare/Hard to find' link. I've ordered some of the cheaper stuff from this guy before since a lot of this stuff is expensive with profits going to charitable causes.

http://www.oncealoft.com/

stuart schechter
2008-05-16, 11:03 AM
Great website!

In the rare section
"AIRLINE MEGAPHONE, small, light, loud.
Pull that lanyard and it sets off a wailing alarm. Regain the respect you deserve from your wife and kids.
Use it to shout commands like, "Hey woman, bring me a beer." Or, "Hey woman, don't you ever listen to me?"
Or you can use it to shout obscenities at your wife's divorce lawyer
$35"

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-16, 01:21 PM
Wow. I don't know where to start! What a link!!

- VHF antenna
- Crash ax
- Map light
- Mechanical cockpit clock (nice!)
- MD-80 audio selector panel
- 737NG clipboard checklist
- 727 airspeed indicators (!!!)
- Rudder pedals
- L-1011 fuel totalizer
- Attitude indicator (WINNER!!!)

Obviously, I'm not going to get all of these things, but for a few things that I CAN realistically see myself putting into my truck, include a 5-point harness, an attitude indicator (though expensive).

Would an attitude indicator work as a stand-alone piece? Or does it need to be hooked up to something else?

One other thing I would CONSIDER is putting some xmas tree circuit panel on the ceiling of my truck. I have good enough height for it. But that might be too much.

I'll grow up one of these days. Well, maybe I won't. haha

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-16, 01:34 PM
oooh....overhead panel from a 727:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/oh1.jpg

RDU-JFK
2008-05-16, 01:53 PM
That'll cost ya...LOL...

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-16, 02:04 PM
I think I can get something like that for much cheaper.

HPNPilot1200
2008-05-16, 03:47 PM
It depends how much you're willing to pay. You can find working attitude indicators, heading indicators, and altimeters on eBay for under $150. They're not TSO'd, but it doesn't really matter in your case...it's not going in an airplane.

If you end up putting an AI or HI in, I'd be very interested in seeing what sort of modifications are required in order to power the vacuum pump in your car. I've never had the interest to buy/mount anything in my car like that, though I do carry a transceiver with me in the car when I'm not out flying. Any old radio you're going to find at local avionic shops are going to be TSO'd, and therefore, really expensive. Even the old Narco Mark series nav/coms go for anywhere between $400 and $1400.

dimamo1983
2008-05-16, 04:02 PM
For the attitude indicator you will need a vacuum system to get the gyro to work.

Good luck getting the STC for it :)

moose135
2008-05-16, 05:20 PM
I think I can get something like that for much cheaper.
Won't the boss get mad if you take one out of an active aircraft? :shock:

Smartass Flyboy
2008-05-17, 02:47 AM
Eos Airlines Files Motion to Schedule Auction and Sell Company and Its Assets (http://www.forbes.com/businesswire/feeds/businesswire/2008/05/16/businesswire20080516005601r1.html)

:lol: How much did you want to spend and how long can you wait? :lol:

Ari707
2008-05-19, 11:37 AM
how about changing your steering wheel for a yoke???

Matt Molnar
2008-05-19, 11:54 AM
How about something from a train cockpit?

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jel6cOHYHDI[/youtubehttp://www.hornblasters.com

cancidas
2008-06-11, 07:14 PM
i've always wanted to have an EICAS in a car. i feel so withrawn from my truck because the minimalistic instrument cluster doesn't tell me enough of what's going on with it. i like knowing what's working and what's not, and what is causing the CHECK ENGINE light to come on. with all the technology in new cars these days it's surprising that something like this hasn't come along yet. i've even talked it over with a few people who know cars, they agreed that it would be useful but reminded me how it would impact a mechanic's bottom line if he couldn't cheat people for fixing un-broken things on thier cars...
:D

that's part of the reason i want an old car. they're simpler to operate and fix. if only boeing built SUVs...

HPNPilot1200
2008-06-11, 08:14 PM
i've always wanted to have an EICAS in a car. i feel so withrawn from my truck because the minimalistic instrument cluster doesn't tell me enough of what's going on with it. i like knowing what's working and what's not, and what is causing the CHECK ENGINE light to come on. with all the technology in new cars these days it's surprising that something like this hasn't come along yet. i've even talked it over with a few people who know cars, they agreed that it would be useful but reminded me how it would impact a mechanic's bottom line if he couldn't cheat people for fixing un-broken things on thier cars...
:D

that's part of the reason i want an old car. they're simpler to operate and fix. if only boeing built SUVs...

Or you could just drive a car in which the check engine light never illuminates. Well, that's my motto at least. :lol:

Matt Molnar
2008-06-11, 08:21 PM
if only boeing built SUVs...
They do, or at least they build giant lasers to go on the back of SUVs :D Your problems on the LIE would clear right up one way or the other if you were pimpin one of these around: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 31116.html (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4231116.html)

Actually, Boeing, in a joint venture with Textron, is bidding on the massive Humvee replacement contract. So in 20 years maybe you'll be able to pick up a surplus Boeing SUV.

In the meantime you can jerry rig a Boeing turbine designed for a boat into a car like this guy did:
OdpgE4nf0xU

Derf
2008-06-11, 11:05 PM
How about one of those little "final word" with the 4 buttons that screams profanity....but instead modify it with the ground proximity warning "woop woop....pull up" sounds. Change your interior light to red and put red LED's over the break pedal and under the glove box, Have an mp3 of the 400hz noise in the cockpit (but play it really low). Also, do not forget genuine Peanuts for the authentic feel and it will also work for a short term air freshener by only opening 1/8th of an inch of the bag. But if you pull over to pick up FOD in the road, you have finally went too far. IMHO :wink:

One more...
Rig the sound of the autopilot disengage (wine wine).... to the cruse control light....every time the light goes out it triggers the sound.

moose135
2008-06-11, 11:51 PM
with all the technology in new cars these days it's surprising that something like this hasn't come along yet.

The problem is that 99.99% of drivers don't care what caused the light to come on, they just want to get it fixed. Car companies aren't going to spend money on something that people don't use or want to pay extra for. And many newer cars do have sophisticated reporting systems, but they are only accessible via dealer computer.

cancidas
2008-06-12, 02:15 PM
How about one of those little "final word" with the 4 buttons that screams profanity....but instead modify it with the ground proximity warning "woop woop....pull up" sounds. Change your interior light to red and put red LED's over the break pedal and under the glove box, Have an mp3 of the 400hz noise in the cockpit (but play it really low). Also, do not forget genuine Peanuts for the authentic feel and it will also work for a short term air freshener by only opening 1/8th of an inch of the bag. But if you pull over to pick up FOD in the road, you have finally went too far. IMHO :wink:

One more...
Rig the sound of the autopilot disengage (wine wine).... to the cruse control light....every time the light goes out it triggers the sound.
that's a bit far if you ask me fred. first thing i thought of were those pix of spellman's ride...

Nick
2008-06-14, 03:26 PM
I can give you a " remove before flight " streamer, or something.

GrummanFan
2008-06-14, 05:28 PM
I can give you a " remove before flight " streamer, or something.

I've got one of those on my motorcycle, and it is most certainly an excellent addition.

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v198/185/13/17507208/n17507208_31006550_4672.jpg

MORS-AB-ALTO
2008-06-19, 03:33 AM
How about taking some inspiration from the River Rattlers '69 Ford Torino fastback.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/MORSABALTO/NEW%20ORLEANS%202004/riverrattlertorino.jpg