PDA

View Full Version : Delta: No More Ticket Jackets!

Matt Molnar
2008-05-09, 04:36 PM
According to a story relayed through the Consumerist blog, Delta has discontinued distribution of ticket jackets to customers, citing cost cutting. Anyone know anything about this? Seems odd/silly.

http://consumerist.com/5008085/delta-ai ... et-jackets (http://consumerist.com/5008085/delta-airlines-terminates-ticket-jackets)

RDU-JFK
2008-05-09, 04:49 PM
That sucks!! Although its harder and harder to find them at the kiosks anymore, and the last times I've checked in I haven't received a jacket unless I asked. The thing about the jackets is that they're a good place to put baggage checks as well as disclosure information to passengers and phone numbers. I don't see the other airlines following suit...

nwafan20
2008-05-09, 10:33 PM
I happily got a NW jacket without asking last week.

Lezam
2008-05-11, 01:31 AM
I think they might eliminate tickets altogether, your just going to swipe your skymiles card. I just got a new one in the mail, and it has one of those credit card type barcode things on the back.

cancidas
2008-05-11, 07:52 AM
I think they might eliminate tickets altogether, your just going to swipe your skymiles card. I just got a new one in the mail, and it has one of those credit card type barcode things on the back.
that's an interesting concept, but in today's day and age i don't think it makes much sense to completely switch over to something like that. imagine the overhead of not only printing them in the first place but then reprinting and remailing them to all those haphazard pax who have holes in thier pockets. it's amazing how many people lose things in terminals...

Lezam
2008-05-11, 11:13 AM
that's an interesting concept, but in today's day and age i don't think it makes much sense to completely switch over to something like that. imagine the overhead of not only printing them in the first place but then reprinting and remailing them to all those haphazard pax who have holes in thier pockets. it's amazing how many people lose things in terminals...

Yeah, but remember... airlines are known for charging extra for everything. One day they could say "effective january 1, you must purchase a skymiles card for $2 a piece"

T-Bird76
2008-05-11, 01:54 PM
Not everyone is a Skymiles member so you can't eliminate tickets all together. However rather then using the heavy card stock they use now at the ticket counters I can see them switching to the thermal paper kind that jetBlue uses.

RDU-JFK
2008-05-12, 08:27 AM
Not everyone is a Skymiles member so you can't eliminate tickets all together. However rather then using the heavy card stock they use now at the ticket counters I can see them switching to the thermal paper kind that jetBlue uses.

Actually I've checked in at the BusinessElite check-in counter at JFK on my last 2 DL trips and both times my tickets were on the thermal-type paper as opposed to the traditional card stock. Costs being cut everywhere...

stuart schechter
2008-05-12, 10:48 AM
The jacket when I travel holds my luggage tags, tickets, and usually my ID, when it is in my hand. When I put the sleeve in my pocket, I'll put my ID in my pocket.

G-BOAD
2008-05-12, 08:53 PM
This is ridicules! I find the jacket very useful to hold everything you need in one sturdy place. Airline cost cutting is going too far. Soon you will need to enter a quarter to use an airplane lavatory.

stuart schechter
2008-05-12, 09:58 PM
The old AA MD80's could already do it! Just insert a quarter into the straight razor slot left from the old days!

Jordan Howell
2008-05-12, 11:26 PM
If Delta needs to save costs I think this is the way to do it. They can either cut costs in materials and such or they could be low and take it from the employee's salaries like some other airlines have done. I have only flown Delta a couple of times but felt they were above most other carriers.

T-Bird76
2008-05-13, 08:51 AM
If Delta needs to save costs I think this is the way to do it. They can either cut costs in materials and such or they could be low and take it from the employee's salaries like some other airlines have done. I have only flown Delta a couple of times but felt they were above most other carriers.

Delta has already reduced their employee's wages during the last Chapter 11 and went as low as dumping their pensions.

The airlines know they can't take anything more away from their people without risking people just leaving for jobs that pay the same and demand less.

Jordan Howell
2008-05-13, 12:30 PM
[quote="Jordan Howell":b90c2]If Delta needs to save costs I think this is the way to do it. They can either cut costs in materials and such or they could be low and take it from the employee's salaries like some other airlines have done. I have only flown Delta a couple of times but felt they were above most other carriers.

Delta has already reduced their employee's wages during the last Chapter 11 and went as low as dumping their pensions.

The airlines know they can't take anything more away from their people without risking people just leaving for jobs that pay the same and demand less.[/quote:b90c2]

I'm aware the employees took a pay cut during the ch. 11 restructuring. The employees have however regained a small percentage of it back. I recently read the non-union employees (everyone but the pilots) recieved a 3% wage increase. I took a look at the starting salaries at Delta and the other legacy carriers. Let's just say that IF I had the outragious idea to throw away my current career, go through years of training, and end up with a choice of airlines to fly at.......lets just say from a financial perspective my sights would be set to taking a job at Delta with a higher salary

Lezam
2008-05-13, 07:30 PM
It would be funny if they started selling these things they used to give for free

stuart schechter
2008-05-13, 08:21 PM
Food?

Mateo
2008-05-14, 01:16 AM
Oh, even US, the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to customer service issues, had full stocks of ticket jackets at the self check-in kiosks this weekend. Of course, they were advertising new nonstops to ZRH, BRU, and ATH, starting in "May and June" (this was last May and June), but they were ticket jackets, nonetheless. Where are the gaties supposed to stick your checked bag stubs to?

Lezam
2008-05-14, 11:33 PM
I just got off the phone with Delta, turns out even though I booked my august trip in first class, we don't get a free meal. wtf

G-BOAD
2008-05-14, 11:40 PM
I just got off the phone with Delta, turns out even though I booked my august trip in first class, we don't get a free meal. wtf
No free meal in First class. Now thats just bull
:evil:

RDU-JFK
2008-05-15, 08:16 AM

Where are you flying from/to?

I flew JFK-MCO-JFK in first and got no meal...

Lezam
2008-05-18, 03:26 AM
Im flying ANC-JFK with a stopover in seattle, and theyre telling me I wont get any food service. Delta sucks big time

Matt Molnar
2008-05-18, 12:06 PM
No buy on board?

Lezam
2008-05-18, 12:42 PM
No buy on board?

Surprisingly, I dont think so. Its really a shame that while flying first class nowadays, you basically get the same perks as flying 10 years ago.

Winglets747
2008-06-18, 02:44 AM

The Skymiles card has had the barcode on the back for years. It's so you can swipe it at the kiosk.

A few years ago a number of NWA agents told me they weren't distributing ticket jackets anymore, but a year later they were back.

Regarding tickets in general, I'm still much a fan of the Virgin America-style tickets. They're the perfect size and don't need a ticket jacket since the stock is a bit thick.