View Full Version : What to use to clean a Flat Screen monitor

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 01:45 PM
My Flat screen monitor for my computer was dirty, so I went to the store to pick up some cleaning supplies,

I bought this kit for $24, did I really have to purchase this?

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2295153w345.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 02:21 PM
What's wrong with windex and bounty?

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 02:40 PM
What's wrong with windex and bounty?

I read that it could damage the screen?

MarkLawrence
2008-05-07, 02:41 PM
I have the same Mike - actually - bought it with my HDTV - and - to me, it's the best cleaning agent for my laptop and flat panel monitor as well - I used to find other stuff left streaks on the monitor.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 02:47 PM
[quote="Phil D.":adb18]What's wrong with windex and bounty?

I read that it could damage the screen?[/quote:adb18]

I personally think that's the scam to get you to spend $24 on a tiny bottle of windex.

T-Bird76
2008-05-07, 03:01 PM
[quote="Midnight Mike":6ed6d][quote="Phil D.":6ed6d]What's wrong with windex and bounty?

I read that it could damage the screen?[/quote:6ed6d]

I personally think that's the scam to get you to spend $24 on a tiny bottle of windex.[/quote:6ed6d]

Phil you cannot use Windex on LCD or Plasma TV screens. Those screens are coated with a material that can be stripped using agents like Windex. As for Bounty if you want to scratch your $2000 TV use a paper towel. The Terry cloth is a must for cleaning LCD and Plasma TV's btw the chemical in this kit isn't Windex.

I have the same cleaning kit for my HDTV's but I will say working with Monster Cable (the maker of this kit) in my past life I know how much of a mark up their products have. The towel they sell in the kit can be purchased elsewhere for 3 bucks and the solution for about 5. I only bought it because I was buying the TV at the same time and it was there.

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 03:02 PM
[quote="Midnight Mike":3ab98][quote="Phil D.":3ab98]What's wrong with windex and bounty?

I read that it could damage the screen?[/quote:3ab98]

I personally think that's the scam to get you to spend $24 on a tiny bottle of windex.[/quote:3ab98]

Well, maybe if you use windex & bounty on the windshield of your truck, you would be able to park better :wink: :mrgreen:

mirrodie
2008-05-07, 03:06 PM
Well, maybe if you use windex & bounty on the windshield of your truck, you would be able to park better :wink: :mrgreen:

Phil you gonna let him talk smack like that? Ouch.

Seriously, there is a posibility that the solution may be a dilute form of the chemicals found in Windex.

If you want to see if Windex will work, go the the TV store and try it on their TV :wink:

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 03:16 PM

Phil you gonna let him talk smack like that? Ouch.

Seriously, there is a posibility that the solution may be a dilute form of the chemicals found in Windex.

If you want to see if Windex will work, go the the TV store and try it on their TV :wink:

Phil knows whatz up with his parking skills!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/af194b6e.jpg

MarkLawrence
2008-05-07, 03:18 PM
Holy crap - I saw that..unfortunately..I'd just had a drink of water..soo...thank goodness for the screen cleaner!..LOL..