PDA

View Full Version : NOW Really Stay off the Roads!!

T-Bird76
2008-04-18, 04:20 PM
No Mario didn't get some new super fast sports car and Gordan hasn't got his DL yet....its far worse kiddies....The Admin Phil Derner Jr. has got wheels! This true blue city boy is now behind the wheel!

Congrats on the new wheels bro hope you have many safe miles ahead of you!

Midnight Mike
2008-04-18, 04:44 PM
Good Gawd, there goes my future trip to New York :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/Panic.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/2391058413_1e72d2332b.jpg

LGA777
2008-04-18, 05:09 PM
Phil, so when do the driving lessons start ? Seriously congrats and lets see a picture !

LGA777

kc2aqg
2008-04-18, 05:28 PM
Congrats Phil!!! What's the make and model info? Now you need to learn the other side - vehicle maintenance! :twisted:

mirrodie
2008-04-18, 05:58 PM
No Mario didn't get some new super fast sports

who needs a super new fast sportscar....
mine is fine ;)

And remember,

no racing when the red light turns green, Phil;)

Congrats !

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-19, 05:43 PM
Wow. I haven't been online much since yesterday and I didn't know this thread was already started. haha

I will let you folks know that I am not a car person. Cars are for getting from A to B, and I'm not into modifying cars or anything like that. Having worked in Manhattan for years, living in Astoria, and for a multitude of other reasons, driving never really appealed to me.

But, I recently decided that where I currently reside, and considering my commute to JFK each day, that it was time to face the music and get a car. I was just about to lease a new car in 2 weeks when a relative that I grew up with told me he was moving away, and would have to get rid of his truck. I, for the sake of memories and not letting him down, took ownership.

I've driven this truck many times before, and I'm very excited about this, especially compared to the car I was going to lease. Though I never was a car person, this is one vehicle that I'd already been in love with for years.

This is my 1992 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/philtruck.jpg

It's actually in excellent shape, but I will be working on this a bit to maintain its appearance and longevity of operation. Doesn't have that many miles, and all that really NEEDS to be done are to add new tires. The engine sounds wonderfully, and I have a great sound system in there, too, but it does eat up gas quite a bit.

You folks will see it out spotting soon.

LGA777
2008-04-19, 09:13 PM
NICE looking ride Phil. And my keen (4) eyes detected the photo was taken at Plaineview !

Good Luck on the gas bill thought. As we briefly discussed when you where thinking about this at least it's not a "chick car".

Best of luck with your first ride of vehicle ownership !

Cheers

LGA777

lijk604
2008-04-19, 10:03 PM
Congrats Phil, I can definitely see you behind the wheel of that vehicle.

moose135
2008-04-19, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Phil! Not a bad truck, for a Chevy :D
It's big enough to stand in the back and shoot over fences, and plenty of room for refreshments - the perfect spotting ride!

mirrodie
2008-04-19, 10:23 PM
IT IS the perfect spotting ride!

USAF Pilot 07
2008-04-20, 12:38 AM
Nice truck!

The Saudi Prince's decision on whether to go with the gold or aluminum A380 has certainly become a little easier...

Just think, now you can subject yourself to exorbitant insurance costs and skyrocketing gas bills like the rest of us!

Now all you have to do is throw some muffler tips on it, cover the back window with a confederate flag, put up a gun rack in the back, find some hunting bumper stickers and be sure to drive at all times in cutoff shirts and cammo hats with the window down and left arm hanging out and you'll be real set!

You should definitely consider getting some truck nuts for the hitch though....

http://www.truck-nuts.com/index.html

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-20, 08:21 AM
Thanks, guys. I do agree that this really fits my personality, and there aren't many vehicles that can do that. It's loud, obnoxious and shows an unnecessary amount of strength. haha. There are also a few other features of the truck which are up my alley.

Clark, the hunting is literally right around the corner, and I actually have a Dale Earnhardt flag inside the truck!

Tommy took a pic of me gassing it up last night for $3.73. Painful.

I'll have to pass on the Confederate Flag. I will be visiting neighborhoods that might not agree with that. It MIGHT work against me. haha

Truck Nuts sound awesome.

T-Bird76
2008-04-20, 12:07 PM
Ah now Phil is one of us and knows our pain.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Philgas.jpg

MarkLawrence
2008-04-20, 12:41 PM
LMAO!!!...what a great shot!!!!

mirrodie
2008-04-20, 01:20 PM
DUde that is just awesome! Hysterical!

3.73.....regular?

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-20, 01:22 PM
Yes, regular.

Tommy's photo is priceless, and has replaced my engine pic as my avatar. :)

USAF Pilot 07
2008-04-20, 03:38 PM
wow, 3.73 regular??? I knew NYS had some gnarly gas taxes, but didn't think they were that high!

In Jersey, I paid $3.33 for PREMIUM on Thursday... I think regular is around $3.10 a gallon...

stuart schechter
2008-04-20, 03:47 PM
Up in Westchester, the Shell up here...$3.95!!! The Hess down the street, $3.71... And I got my license in the mail yesterday.

Phil, I have a confederate flag in my truck, I know...make fun of the hick. But the shotgun rack fits quite nicely in the back.

moose135
2008-04-20, 04:18 PM
wow, 3.73 regular??? I knew NYS had some gnarly gas taxes, but didn't think they were that high!

In Jersey, I paid $3.33 for PREMIUM on Thursday... I think regular is around $3.10 a gallon...

Actually, NJ has some of the lowest gas taxes in the nation. Whenever I head out to PA, I always try to plan it so I can fill up in NJ - Heading out, I get off Rt 80 at Rt 46 and top off, and coming home, I usually hit one of the gas stations on Rt 46 just before the GWB.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-04-20, 07:30 PM

Actually, NJ has some of the lowest gas taxes in the nation. Whenever I head out to PA, I always try to plan it so I can fill up in NJ - Heading out, I get off Rt 80 at Rt 46 and top off, and coming home, I usually hit one of the gas stations on Rt 46 just before the GWB.

I fill up at $3.30-$3.40 a gallon for premium and I think I'm getting raped, and I can't believe just a state over they are paying $.50 to $.70 more per gallon...

I think NJ, MO and WY have some of the lowest gas taxes, IIRC....

I used to be a frequent visitor to those gas tracker websites, usually just to kill time. It's crazy how much gas varies from state-to-state.

But hey, at least we're not in Hawaii. When I was there in December, gas was something like $3.50 a gallon for regular unleaded - I don't even want to check what it's averaging these days... OK, I checked and the average in Hawaii is $3.92... crazyness!

MarkLawrence
2008-04-20, 08:17 PM
A couple of stations around West Palm Beach today we saw $3.65/gallon - I ducked a few stations and finally managed to get $3.53/gallon - and that is regular...I hate it when it's over $60 to fill a tank...

stuart schechter
2008-04-20, 09:00 PM
My maxima was $70.42 today to make a run upstate. A NISSAN MAXIMA...

jran225
2008-04-20, 10:36 PM
We're "still" paying around $3.30 here in Maryland, and it's going up pretty quickly. My Jeep and I aren't too happy about that, but fortunately I only drive on weekends.

Phil, your avatar is PRICELESS! :D

Greets,
-Omar S.

eric8669
2008-04-21, 12:23 PM
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/philtruck.jpg

Phil,

Its about time you got out on the road and you were able to parallel park as well. :D

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-21, 02:04 PM
HAHA. For those who don't know the story, years ago there were a few of us in a car one day and the driver was having a tough time parallel parking. I offered to get out and guide the car in. Eric, very quiet at this time, said to everyone "Why are we listening to Phil for parking guidance? He doesn't even have a liscense." It was hysterical.

I am, however, a good parallel parker. :)

Midnight Mike
2008-04-21, 02:06 PM
Thank goodness we bought a Toyota Prius three years ago :borat: :mrgreen:

cancidas
2008-04-21, 08:31 PM
Truck Nuts sound awesome.

i do hope you don't go out and buy the rubber ones. when i lived in AZ there was this guy that drove a lifted ford ranger. i mean, who would lift and trick out a ford ranger? anyway, one day i spotted the truck as i was walking into safeway and he had to massive nuts, the kind that traffic light poles are secured to the ground with, hanging off a chain under the bed. wish i had a camera phone back then...

nwafan20
2008-04-21, 09:16 PM
Man, 3.10? Lucky bastard....

$3.60 for reg if your lucky out here.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-06, 05:28 PM
I would like to proudly add that in the past two days, I've set off 4 car alarms....just by driving past them with my loud truck. :)

In addition, some guy in a condo parking lot thought that I had taken his spot, and thought he woudl block me in. I used skill and talent to squirm out of a tiny gap her left without scratching his car (although I was tempted to just PUSH the thign out of the way with my truck). I learned that he later came out at 3am, seeing the empty spot, yelling out "How did he get out of there?! Where'd he go?!"

Tommy has a photo of what he says is a poor parking job from me. I'll give him the opportunity to try to rip on me first before I give my rebuttal. :-p

stuart schechter
2008-05-06, 11:15 PM
LOUD and PROUD... YEEHAWWWWW

*kicks his Montana rebel side into submission*

Midnight Mike
2008-05-06, 11:16 PM
I shiver with fright at the thought of Phil driving on the roads :mrgreen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/22829bc0.gif

jran225
2008-05-06, 11:39 PM
I would like to proudly add that in the past two days, I've set off 4 car alarms....just by driving past them with my loud truck. :)

Phil, what kind of exhaust system/muffler do you have installed on the truck? Any idea?

Greets,
-Omar S.

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 12:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/54abc289.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Comments/70d58c04.gif

T-Bird76
2008-05-07, 12:06 PM

In addition, some guy in a condo parking lot thought that I had taken his spot, and thought he woudl block me in. I used skill and talent to squirm out of a tiny gap her left without scratching his car (although I was tempted to just PUSH the thign out of the way with my truck). I learned that he later came out at 3am, seeing the empty spot, yelling out "How did he get out of there?! Where'd he go?!"

Tommy has a photo of what he says is a poor parking job from me. I'll give him the opportunity to try to rip on me first before I give my rebuttal. :-p

Ok....First there will be no Rebuttal! A picture is worth a 1000 words and if you dare try to defend this piss poor parking job I will get in my car and drive into College Point right now and beat you senseless!!!

Now see folks I know Phil for awhile now and knowing Phil's thinking if he pulled into a parking lot and saw this wonderful example of how not to park a classic Phil comment would be made....so Phil go sit in the corner with your head down! hehe ;)

OH and don't say the truck wouldn't fit! I could fit that truck in a space even smaller then that! One must learn their car and you FAILED! LOLOL

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/fail1.jpg

wunaladreamin
2008-05-07, 12:22 PM
EGADZ!!!

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 01:06 PM
HAHA. I was waiting for that.

The truth is that MOST parking lots I've been in have spots that are WAY too small for my vehicle...with my ass sticking out the end. So since I tend to overlap anyway, I am a little liberal with taking two spots like you see in the photo.

In this situation, Tommy was right, I didn't realize that I probably could have fit my truck in just one spot there. However, I was not parked directly in front of the establishment, and was not depriving any other patrons from good parking spots.

In fact, that lot is the ONLY lot I've yet encountered where my truck actually fit in one space.

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 01:34 PM
Phil

If the big truck is toooo much for you to handle, maybe you should trade it in for something smaller :wink:

adam613
2008-05-07, 01:34 PM
Heh...and I thought I was bad at parking...

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking about getting tank treads so I don't have to worry about the size of parking spots. I can just roll over vehicles and other obstructions.

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking about getting tank treads so I don't have to worry about the size of parking spots. I can just roll over vehicles and other obstructions.

Maybe you need to drive around with "wing walkers" so they can help direct you into a parking space :mrgreen:

mirrodie
2008-05-07, 03:09 PM
Maybe you need to drive around with "wing walkers" so they can help direct you into a parking space :mrgreen:

What do you think Tommy was doing there?!

Serious tip next time: Just pull up as far as the van parked next to you. I know though, hindsight is 20/20.

Speaking of which, maybe you need to have your eyes examined?! :mrgreen:

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 03:09 PM
Marshallers would be kinda cool actually. I'll leave some wands in my door's shelf thing.

I park fine. Tommy just disagrees with my discretion in space that I take up.

wunaladreamin
2008-05-07, 03:29 PM
Now now, we all know Phil just wanted to see iffin there was any action goin on in the back of that van. Iffin the van is a-rockin'...

T-Bird76
2008-05-07, 03:37 PM
I park fine. Tommy just disagrees with my discretion in space that I take up.

Yeah....Me and everyone else who's seen the pic seems to disagree to...LOL

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 04:19 PM
I do't see what the amount of space I take up has to do with parking abilities. Don't get upset that I didn't let you christen my truck, Tommy. :wink:

Midnight Mike
2008-05-07, 04:36 PM
I do't see what the amount of space I take up has to do with parking abilities. Don't get upset that I didn't let you christen my truck, Tommy. :wink:

I made a slight change to the Phil smiley, :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/C-40/8e548213.gif

T-Bird76
2008-05-07, 04:59 PM

That's ok Phil the ally way behind your house was fine with me.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-07, 05:03 PM
HAHAHA!

Tommy wins. Derner secedes.

stuart schechter
2008-05-07, 11:19 PM
My truck takes up 2 compact car spots. Our old truck, a 96' F150 XLT with an 8' bed always stuck out of spots. its just too long to get in one spot.

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-18, 11:33 PM

Phil, what kind of exhaust system/muffler do you have installed on the truck? Any idea?

Greets,
-Omar S.

Sorry I missed this. I have a Borla muffler with no cat. I'm actually going to play with it a little tomorrow and see what kinda shape it's in.

stuart schechter
2008-05-19, 11:02 PM
This is such a manly topic...gotta love it. :borat:

PhilDernerJr
2008-05-20, 12:58 AM
Yikes! My exhaust is in bad shape. I'll need to replace it asap. I can't even find an Borla's for my year. I found a Flowmaster, but I know it will quiet down my truck significantly.

This is such a manly topic...gotta love it. :borat:

For me, it's just overcompensation.

jran225
2008-05-20, 10:58 AM
Yikes! My exhaust is in bad shape. I'll need to replace it asap. I can't even find an Borla's for my year. I found a Flowmaster, but I know it will quiet down my truck significantly.

What series Flowmaster are you looking at, Phil? I've been split between a 50 and 70 for my Jeep, not that my finances will allow for either anytime soon. Ha. I don't want too much interior noise/resonance, so I'm leaning towards a 70. On the other hand, that might be a bit too quiet. Decisions, decisions..

Greets,
-Omar S.