PDA

View Full Version : Times Square Concorde

Speedbird1
2008-04-17, 09:17 AM
Remember the huge British Concorde that used to be at Times Square? Supposedly, it was donated to the Cradle of Aviation Museum to be put on display. As far as I know, it was never put on display and I've heard nothing about it. I fear maybe it was auctioned-off to a private collector. Any information would be welcomed.

eric8669
2008-04-17, 11:10 AM
Remember the huge British Concorde that used to be at Times Square? Supposedly, it was donated to the Cradle of Aviation Museum to be put on display. As far as I know, it was never put on display and I've heard nothing about it. I fear maybe it was auctioned-off to a private collector. Any information would be welcomed.

The last time I saw that model was in the hanger at the Cradle of Aviation. It was being repainted. This was going back a few years now. At the time it was not in good condition. I read somewhere that they wanted to display outside of the museum entrance. I believe it is still there somewhere.

kevin323
2008-04-17, 11:18 AM
Last I saw of it was a few years ago rampside behind the British Airways cargo facility at JFK. Was in a number of sections out in the elements. Hope it found a home. Heard they tookdown the Concorde replica on the Heathrow entrance recently.

Speedbird1
2008-04-17, 11:39 AM
You are correct. The British Concorde model was removed from the entrance at Heathrow. I read that BA would no longer pay the advertising fee. The spot now has become home, I believe,to an Emirates aircraft instead.

mirrodie
2008-04-17, 12:14 PM
An Emirates A380 should be next up at that traffic circle.

The LHR Concrde was already removed? Any ideas on its location?

727C47
2008-04-19, 10:28 PM
there used to be a TWA L 1649 Starliner (ultimate connie),model in the same place,NYC,back in the day.

mirrodie
2008-04-19, 10:34 PM
there used to be a TWA L 1649 Starliner (ultimate connie),model in the same place,NYC,back in the day.

Wow, really? I loved seeing Concorde up in Times Square but that sounds cool too! WOnder if there are photos of that lying around.

727C47
2008-04-20, 07:24 PM
found it in some old black and white family photos, that was one beautiful piston liner !