PDA

View Full Version : Hangar 19 at JFK ?

Speedbird1
2008-04-15, 08:33 AM
Please refresh my memory. I think that the British Concorde, G-BOAD, was dismantled a few years back at Hangar 19 at JFK but I'm not certain. What a terrible fate for an aircraft that had just flown from London supersonically to NY to be taken-apart in such a way. The aircraft is now at Floyd Bennett Field where it was damaged. Its windshield was smashed. Hopefully, she will be repaired once she returns to the Intrepid Pier in Manhattan. This week, Hangar 19 will be used for the Pope's Alitalia aircraft.

Derf
2008-04-15, 08:40 AM
window was not smashed...I was told water got in an froze causing the crack....if you do a search on Floyd Bennett Field here you will see lots of info on this weathered crack in the windscreen.

Speedbird1
2008-04-15, 08:46 AM
That makes sense because the cracks on the windshield show no point of impact. Had a rock been thrown, there would be some sort of evidence. At least it wasn't vandalized so I feel better now. I wonder how water got in there and froze? I tried searching "Floyd Bennett Field" but found no info on the cracks being caused by icing. If that was the actual cause, why haven't the other Concordes on display outdoors shown cracking of their visors? The Concorde on display in Germany also is outside atop a roof. Evidently that has no cracks, as do the others displayed in the UK, either. Is the problem only due to the NY climate?

Derf
2008-04-15, 09:28 AM
I think it was more of a defect in the window, Standing water and multiple freezes will probably be where the blame needs to go. Something a little sealer would have probably prevented...but as we all know, hind-site is 20/20.

Here is an old link
http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10489&p=82599&hilit=concorde#p82599

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-15, 10:19 AM
HGR19 is the United Hangar, located at the most northwestern corner of the airport right next to the beginning of rwy 13R.

This was the staging area for that Concorde, and is also used for Air Force One and other unique movements.

T-Bird76
2008-04-15, 10:27 AM
BA should take the Concorde back, we've proven we don't deserve it here. It wasn't taken care of at the Intrepid and its not being taken care of now. If anything she should be displayed at the entrance to JFK where that horrible Samsung hand is...god that thing is bad but they have a contract for five years to have it there.

Speedbird1
2008-04-15, 10:36 AM
The PA wouldn't take the Concorde for display at JFK. The last thing they wanted is tourists and aviation enthusiasts roaming around with cameras. It would have looked great at the entrance at the Van Wyck, too. It would have been the perfect spot for a permanent display. I disagree that the UK should take back the Concorde. New York had more Concorde service during its 20+ years of service and deserves an aircraft. I agree that we did a poor job of displaying her. The UK already has many Concordes on display so they don't need 1 more.

T-Bird76
2008-04-15, 10:55 AM
The PA wouldn't take the Concorde for display at JFK. The last thing they wanted is tourists and aviation enthusiasts roaming around with cameras. It would have looked great at the entrance at the Van Wyck, too. It would have been the perfect spot for a permanent display. I disagree that the UK should take back the Concorde. New York had more Concorde service during its 20+ years of service and deserves an aircraft. I agree that we did a poor job of displaying her. The UK already has many Concordes on display so they don't need 1 more.

Well your 100% wrong about the PA not wanting the Concorde, where did you get that from? Port has NO problem at all with tourists and cameras btw... Simply because a Port officer questions us taking pictures doesn't indicate a policy against people who would take pictures of the Concorde. Port in fact would love the Concorde but has no place to put it at JFK. Right now however the Port has a 5 year contract at a million dollars a year for the Samsung hand and they aren't about to give up a million dollars a year but once the contract is up look to see something more deserving to be in that spot.

As for NY deserving a Concorde....BULL. If we can't maintain it properly then it should be given to a city that would. If the Brits said give it back then they have the right, it’s their plane not ours.

Speedbird1
2008-04-15, 11:16 AM
I disagree with all you say. I wrote an e-mail years ago to the Port Authority when British Airways was searching for homes for Concordes. The PA exec wrote me they cannot accept it for various reasons. I'm sorry that I never made a print of that letter but I was very upset. Where did you hear that they would welcome to display a Concorde? That is baloney. Port officers don't just question us if we take photos on JFK property but force us to leave the airport property in no uncertain terms. I don't see the harm of snapping a few photos through windows at T4 but they do. You sound like you are a PA employee.

T-Bird76
2008-04-15, 11:46 AM
I disagree with all you say. I wrote an e-mail years ago to the Port Authority when British Airways was searching for homes for Concordes. The PA exec wrote me they cannot accept it for various reasons. I'm sorry that I never made a print of that letter but I was very upset. Where did you hear that they would welcome to display a Concorde? That is baloney. Port officers don't just question us if we take photos on JFK property but force us to leave the airport property in no uncertain terms. I don't see the harm of snapping a few photos through windows at T4 but they do. You sound like you are a PA employee.

You can disagree all you want, however fact one...JFK is being run by a new manager who wants the Concorde but as I stated they have no place for it so you won't see it. Just because you wrote letter years ago doesn't mean policy and opinion remains the same. Second...T4 IS NOT RUN BY PORT! It’s run by a private company therefore its private property and they have the right to ask you to leave regardless if you don't see any harm, private property is private property and the Port Policy have been asked by the company to ask people not to take photos. The law is very clear that if you are on private property you need permission from the property owners. No I do not work for Port but do have contacts with its organization that are rather high up. Get your facts right before you decide to question a primary source.

eric8669
2008-04-15, 12:02 PM
T4 IS NOT RUN BY PORT! It’s run by a private company .

As Tommy stated above Terminal 4 is run by a private company. Terminal 4 even has its own website.

http://www.jfkiat.com/

Matt Molnar
2008-04-15, 01:00 PM
It's kind of a moot point, because Port is technically a private entity as well, not a government agency. (Though the airports do sit on land owned by the city.)

Tommy, you make it sound like every citizen of the city is responsible for Concorde's maintenance. It seems BA doesn't care much about Concorde either, otherwise they would find a more caring home for it on this side of the pond or kick in some more dough for its upkeep. If they don't care about it, they're not going to bother shipping it back.

T-Bird76
2008-04-15, 02:31 PM
It's kind of a moot point, because Port is technically a private entity as well, not a government agency. (Though the airports do sit on land owned by the city.)

Tommy, you make it sound like every citizen of the city is responsible for Concorde's maintenance. It seems BA doesn't care much about Concorde either, otherwise they would find a more caring home for it on this side of the pond or kick in some more dough for its upkeep. If they don't care about it, they're not going to bother shipping it back.

Matt how do I sound as if I think every citizen in the entire city is responsible for the upkeep of the Concorde? That's a silly statement to make. BA HAS stated that they weren't happy with the upkeep of the Concorde and have threatened to take it back. I don't understand why you think BA should pay for the upkeep? They've donated the plane and therefore the responsible party should be tasked with its proper care.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-15, 03:24 PM
Fair enough. I thought they still owned it and had loaned it to the Intrepid.

kevin323
2008-04-17, 11:34 AM
Yes the BA Concorde was prepared for display at Hgr 19. Fluids drained , engines removed. It was then towed to a corner of JFK loaded on a barge for the float to NYC. Hgr 19 also housed the AF Concorde that was trapped by the grounding after the Paris accident. The aircraft stayed on a hardstand at AF terminal for quite a while before coming to Hgr 19 where AF french crew prepared it for a ferry home. This was before the fuel tank upgrades and return to service.

Speedbird1
2008-04-21, 11:38 AM
Hangar 19's latest claim to fame was the lovely reception given to Pope Benedict last night before departing on flight AZA 4001 to Ciampino, IT. Yes, I remember the "stranded" Concorde. It stayed for several weeks on the tarmac near Terminal One and had its windows covered by a reddish putty or something. I guess to keep-out moisture and sunlight.