PDA

View Full Version : Nassau PD New Helo

Gerard
2008-04-10, 09:33 PM
Was listening to FRG on my scanner tonite and heard "Nassau 5" lifting from Bethpage westbound. About 5 minutes later they were
coming back eastbound, overflew FRG and contacted Islip advising they were enroute to Stony Brook Hospital. Sounds like an
orientation flight as opposed to a Lifeguard mission. This is the 3rd Bell 407 for the Nassau County PD Air Bureau joining Nassau 4 (1998) and then Nassau 6 (2006). These copters replaced the three Bell 206L LongRangers the old Nassau 6, Nassau 7 and Nassau 8.
Also read that the Delaware State Police just put their new Bell 412 into service to assist their 407s and the Chicago Fire Department put a new Bell 412 into service to go with their other 412. This one sounds like it is similiar to the NYPD Aviation 23 "Command and Control"
helicopter which I saw some interior pictures of a few weeks ago on CNN. Wow, it looked like a mini AWACs!!!

cancidas
2008-04-10, 11:16 PM
N23FH is more than just an C2 helo, it's got a lot more intereting toys onboard. glad to see another 407 in the area, though i wonder how tight that helo is with a litter onboard. there's nothing like a 412 for medevac missions though.

Gerard
2008-04-12, 11:23 AM
>N23FH is more than just an C2 helo, it's got a lot more intereting toys onboard. <

From the quick shots I saw on CNN I can imagine. Utilizing my stop action on the DVR I was
able to get a better look.

cancidas
2008-04-12, 12:21 PM
>N23FH is more than just an C2 helo, it's got a lot more intereting toys onboard. <

From the quick shots I saw on CNN I can imagine. Utilizing my stop action on the DVR I was
able to get a better look.

all things considered, for the amount of coordination that the NYPD does need to do from the air any one of thier helos could serve in a C2 role. i recall seeing a few dedicated C2 UH-60s when i was at Rucker, damn did they have a lot of radios in the back...