PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Airline Jobs?

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-10, 02:54 PM
I'm curious to see if anyone around here is looking for a job in the industry.

If so, let me know what kind of stuff you might be interested in.

I come across and hear about positions all the time, so I'd like to help some of you folks out!

bonanzabucks
2008-04-10, 03:30 PM
Hey Phil,

I've been looking for a job in the aviation industry for years! The closest I came was an interview with B6 with their finance department, but I didn't get the job. I'm kind of looking for something in Finance/Administration/Logistics. I'd only consider a job in the NYC area, but maybe overseas.

Truth be told, I really love my job now and it's the best place I've ever worked at and I am not actively looking to leave, but my dream is to work in the industry and at 30, I feel this might be my last chance to really do so.

I (as long as everyone else) really appreciate you offering to do this!

Louis

Lezam
2008-04-10, 05:29 PM
Hey Phil, I would be more then happy to take you up on your offer. Im trying to get an internship, or a part time job with JBU for the summer and/or winter this year. They still have me as under consideration, and theres no number to call on their site. Would you know of any jobs that I would be able to intern at, or at least part time at?

flyboy 28
2008-04-10, 05:51 PM
I'd really like to get involved at a major airport as a ramp rat even just for the summer.

Smartass Flyboy
2008-04-11, 03:29 AM
You know Phil, at the rate this week is going I may need to take you up on that offer real soon. Having been off the last 2 days, I really am not looking forward to tomorrow. Could be worse though, we only get 4 Mad Dogs a day normally.

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-11, 07:57 AM
I'll check to see what I find based on what you guys are saying.

Anyone willing to relocate to the midwest by chance?

flyboy, a ramp rat position at JFK would be easy to get. The money isn't great, the work and hours get rough sometimes, but it's a good experience. You have a terminal preference (like 1or 4)?

NYARTCCFAN
2008-04-11, 10:01 AM
Baggaige handler,ticket agent,reservation agent hopefully at Tampa or Sarasota

GrummanFan
2008-04-11, 04:18 PM
I've been looking for an aviation related summer job/internship. I'm a sophomore majoring in aerospace/mechanical engineering, so I've been trying to find something mechanics or maintenance related, or just hands on experience with aircraft operations.

I thought about a ramp rat position, but the pay is just too low for it to be worth it. My goal this summer is to save up enough money and get some industry experience so that it will be easier for me to obtain (and afford) an engineering internship out west next summer with a company like Lockheed, Boeing, or maybe NASA.

LGA777
2008-04-11, 11:55 PM
Something I want to share with some of you who are in or starting College and thinking about a summer job, as I have seen two of you mention that so far. Perhaps a handling company like Servisair or Swissport "might" hire someone who only wants a summer job. But I will use my employer and station (US at LGA) as an example. We have open house's and hire for both the ramp and customer service all the time. US Express same thing. But we (and I would think almost all airlines) are not looking for temporary or summer only or even just weekend help. Even most part timers work 5 days a week. For the ramp after about a 30 day background and drug test results clear then you are in station training such as learning city or airport codes. If you pass that you go to CLT for a week of training (4 weeks for customer service). Come back then a few weeks in station on the job training. US is not interested in spending this money and time on someone who when they finnaly get checked off will work a for a few more weeks then quit and go back to school. I would be surprised if any other airline is much different. Not trying to discourage anyone just trying to be realistic.

Good Luck to anyone who pursues and is successful in getting into my favorite industry.

Cheers

LGA777

Alex T
2008-04-12, 12:18 AM
LGA777-

Absolutely agree. If you are doing this, be prepared to devot full time status to the job, airline and position. I cringe when I hear "ya I'll do this for summer or part time." Sorry, doesn't work like that.

Also, you forget you have probation period usually, 6 months, guarantee you won't be re hired if you leave during probation because "school started".

Alex

cancidas
2008-04-12, 11:38 AM
ron, you're exactly right. though seeing as people have off during the summers that would be the best time to try to get into the airlines. with the amount of time that the hiring process and then training takes by the time school rolls around people might find themselves working a schedule that can actually accomodate school schedules as well. i think one of the mot confusing things about aviation is the schedules by which we work. there is no 9-5 or weekends off. i have found personally though that while i miss having weekends off days during the week do make school a lot easier.

Derf
2008-04-12, 11:47 AM
Hey Phil, I am looking for a job taking pictures of aircraft where a company will give me a company vehicle, 40D with 500mm prime/100-400/70-200 2.8is and unlimited overtime at around 80-110k a year.

The company vehicle is not a deal breaker :borat:

Sorry, I had to try!

Nick
2008-04-12, 12:12 PM
I wanna brief female flight attendants before each flight. What, no such position exists? C'mon, I got people skills! :borat: Altho I'm trying for my A&P license I don't think me turning wrenches for an airline is a possibility. Altho I would like to see what real world airline mechs make, instead of the 2nd hand info of " oh they get laid off alot." I'm looking for a F/T Guard position, a little more in the way of job security. :D

Lezam
2008-04-12, 09:00 PM
Well it depends what kind of job your aiming for in regards to customer service training etc. I am not planning to go into a specifically aviation related field, I'm going into Business Administration... and I hope I can get an aviation related position. So for me, I would think that it would be easier to get an internship at an airline without them having to train me.

I'm hoping to get into the jetblue college crew, because they specifically say that they will let you go when your school starts in the fall.

nikon50bigma
2008-04-19, 08:41 PM
Any type of summer jobs that you hear of Phil?