PDA

View Full Version : Congestion Pricing Plan Killed by State Assembly

Matt Molnar
2008-04-07, 03:28 PM
Not that surprising, but a huge setback for the citizens of the area, IMHO. :evil:

State Assembly Rejects Bloomberg's Congestion Pricing Plan (http://www.1010wins.com/Traffic-Fee-Plan-Rejected/1953685)
Posted: Monday, 07 April 2008 3:15PM

NEW YORK (1010 WINS/AP) -- The state Assembly has rejected New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to charge a fee to drive into parts of Manhattan to curb traffic and pollution, killing the plan, Speaker Sheldon Silver said Monday.

The survey of Democratic Assembly members in a private conference comes after days of closed-door negotiations and means the city will forfeit $354 million in federal money for kick-starting the initiative. The Legislature faced a Monday deadline to act on Bloomberg's proposal, which was already endorsed by Democratic Gov. David Paterson, the Republican-led Senate and the City Council. [Full Article (http://www.1010wins.com/Traffic-Fee-Plan-Rejected/1953685)]

kc2aqg
2008-04-07, 03:39 PM
It just goes to show you that our state is going down the tubes fast...

The congestion pricing plan actually makes sense, it's basic economics. Charge a premium to those who require access to those parts of town that are most congested during peak hours. It's actually very similar to the $25 second bag charge. Not everyone needs to check the second bag (...get downtown during peak hours), it will reduce the amount people travel with second bag (...and likewise those who drive downtown vs. taking public transit), and will end up bumping revenues where they are needed...and they are desperately needed to improve public transit as well.

adam613
2008-04-07, 03:44 PM
The congestion pricing plan actually makes sense, it's basic economics.

Which is probably exactly why they killed it.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-07, 04:00 PM
This event combined with my watching the trials and tribulations of John Adams over the past few weeks have really made me consider the benefits of secession from New York State.

Midnight Mike
2008-04-07, 04:16 PM
Not that surprising, but a huge setback for the citizens of the area, IMHO. :evil:

What a shame, & in addition, they are losing the Federal money.

T-Bird76
2008-04-07, 04:18 PM
Another example of our State Gov't not working.....This is a real shame.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-07, 04:28 PM

What a shame, & in addition, they are losing the Federal money.
$354 million! Good news for Iraqi Airways, they can add another two Boeings to their order. :P

bonanzabucks
2008-04-09, 03:34 PM
I'm not surprised it was Sheldon Silver that blocked congestion pricing, just as he's killed other proposals dealing with the city. However, I was vehemently opposed to this from the start. I know NYC would get over $350M from the Feds with this, but I don't think it would have made much difference with anything. Look, the MTA raised metrocard prices and now they say they're not even going to improves services after promising they would. Nothing would have changed with congestion pricing. I bet things in Manhattan would have become more expensive anyways because of the added cost of bringing things over.

Not only that, I don't even think congestion pricing works. I just came back from London where they've had congestion pricing for years. Has public transportation improved since they introduced it? No. It's about the same as I remember the last time I went six years ago. Their subway system has not gotten any cheaper. The opposite. A one-way ride within Zone 1 on their tube is 4 pounds, which is $8. $8 for a single stop ride! London is the only other city that has a comparable transportation infrastructure to NYC. I can confidently say that our transportation system is much more reliable, affordable, cleaner and overall much better than theirs. Their subways are dirty, narrow and crammed and always delayed and stalled. Oh, and expensive too...but I mentioned that before.

And traffic? Manhattan traffic is bad, but compared to London or other mega cities, it's a breeze. Hell, have you guys tried driving in other cities in this country? Atlanta, LA, Houston, Seattle and Dallas all have much worse traffic than we do. I won't even get into London. Even with congestion pricing, their traffic in the city center is atrocious.

Don't get me wrong, I love London, but I don't think congestion pricing has worked for them and I doubt it would have worked wonders for us.