PDA

View Full Version : Video CGI: Airborne laser destroys scud missile

Midnight Mike
2008-04-03, 06:53 PM
After 12 years and $3.8 billion, we may not have a ray gun-equipped jet, quite yet. But, thanks to our pal Stephen Trimble, we do have this animated video from Boeing, the maker of the Airborne Laser. The modified 747 is supposed to start test-zapping missiles next year. In the meantime, enjoy some CGI. And a healthy heap of jargon, with phrases like, "through Link 16 network-centric communication and the C2BMC system, ABL notifies the rest of the BMDS system."

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SDo0rH1Xo[/youtube
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/04/v ... r-jet.html (http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/04/video-laser-jet.html)

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-03, 08:34 PM
Should all of that detail there kinda......be....a secret? haha

I can see Osama logging into NYCA to steal American defense secrets. haha

T-Bird76
2008-04-03, 08:52 PM
That was very fascinating. With the recent approval of NATO to deploy an MDS it looks like this program will finally take hold. I think its a great idea and one piece of defense that is needed today.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-03, 08:55 PM
That's some pretty serious CGI, probably added cost as much to make that video as for one of the friggin lasers!

Conceivably this laser could be set to a lower power that would just be strong enough to melt the innards of an aircraft engine, hopefully one carrying someone like Kim Jong-Il!

T-Bird76
2008-04-03, 09:31 PM
That's some pretty serious CGI, probably added cost as much to make that video as for one of the friggin lasers!

Conceivably this laser could be set to a lower power that would just be strong enough to melt the innards of an aircraft engine, hopefully one carrying someone like Kim Jong-Il!

Matt your 100%. This kind of technology opens the door to all sorts of offensive and defensive roles. You can have an entire fleet of these planes flying around almost like flying Battleships. You can bet in the next 50 years this application will be moved to space based platforms. This technology will truly put Russia and China behind the 8 ball. Some say it will start a new arms race but Russia can't afford a new arms race, they will have to accept their place as a former Superpower and fall inline with the community of nations. China is 30 years behind us now in weapons technology and without the west feeding its economic engine they'll starve. I think its safe to say we are securing our position as the World's only Superpower.

cancidas
2008-04-04, 01:40 AM
i'm curious, is this a technology we're going to use in the defense of our own or someone else's country?