PDA

View Full Version : Forum Downtime: April 3 at 4:30pm

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-03, 12:32 PM
The forum will be down for approximately 10-15 minutes today, starting at about 4:30pm.

This is for maintenence on our database server, and should hopefully be the last on the forums for some time.

Thanks for your patience.

-Phil

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-03, 05:15 PM
All done. Adam and Matt did their thing and the forums are now fully on the new server.

Please, let us know if you are noticing anything good or bad. Faster or slower? No difference? Problems or kinks?

wunaladreamin
2008-04-04, 03:23 PM
Kinks? :shock: I thought this was a family site.

Lezam
2008-04-12, 09:01 PM
I think SQL queries are running slower from my side. Not sure if thats because you switched server locations or what, but there definitely is a bigger lag for me when I make a post. I'm assuming you switched the server farther from the city?

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-13, 12:26 AM
Server location moved from Vancouver to California.

Please keep us posted on if you see a change in speed. Issues should be uncommon, though, but let us know if there is a problem.

Lezam
2008-04-13, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately Dreamhost hasn't been known to have the fastest severs, Im getting an average ping of over 100ms to your server... with some lost pings as well. Hope you guys didnt sign a long contract? :(

emshighway
2008-04-13, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately Dreamhost hasn't been known to have the fastest severs, Im getting an average ping of over 100ms to your server... with some lost pings as well. Hope you guys didnt sign a long contract? :(

OMG, guess you never had dialup....

Lezam
2008-04-13, 03:57 PM

OMG, guess you never had dialup....

I was there in the good old AOL/Compuserve days :)

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-13, 09:34 PM

I'm honestly not very concerned. The motivation with moving to DH from Superb Internet had to do with errors and horrible customer service that we were experiencing. On the tech side, DH is easier to manage and deal with as we build our new site.

My own tests done didn't seem to show much of a difference in speed at all when compared to our previous provider. Either way, once traffic increases on the new site, we will be moving to another dedicated server to handle those loads.