PDA

View Full Version : Congestion Pricing Plan Thread

RDU-JFK
2008-04-02, 11:11 AM
I'm sure we all have our views on Bloomy's congestion pricing plan. Feel free to share your views, opinions, and any breaking news associated with the plans.

Here's my question:

How will toll plazas on the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges work? The BQE is a mess as it is--where will toll plazas be built?

T-Bird76
2008-04-02, 11:21 AM
If they are to toll those bridges they should make them Easypass only and install the high speed readers. Turning those bridges into Easypass only would in itself help congrestion and force ppl to get Easypass which in itself speeds things up. That's my 2 cents on the issue.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-02, 11:37 AM
There won't be any toll plazas, just cameras that record your plate and they send you a bill.

PhilDernerJr
2008-04-02, 11:41 AM
Wait, so if I borrow someone's car, THEY will get a bill for $8? What about rental cars?

What will stop me from pulling over on Northern Blvd, covering up my plate, and uncovering it after I cross the Queensborough bridge on 57th Street?

I can't imagine that technology can actually take photos of every plate, track the owner, send a bill, and monitor payments with that much efficiency. I call bull on that.

T-Bird76
2008-04-02, 11:57 AM
Rental cars are easy Phil, the rental company will just trace back the date of the toll and who the renter was and charge their card. Similar to how they track cars that get parking tickets when the renter doesn't pay. The mailing of a bill is a joke though which adds layers to what can be a simple thing. Your right though you can easily cover your plate, just don't get caught as that's illegal anyway.

Matt Molnar
2008-04-02, 12:11 PM
Wait, so if I borrow someone's car, THEY will get a bill for $8? What about rental cars?

What will stop me from pulling over on Northern Blvd, covering up my plate, and uncovering it after I cross the Queensborough bridge on 57th Street?

I can't imagine that technology can actually take photos of every plate, track the owner, send a bill, and monitor payments with that much efficiency. I call bull on that.
That's how it works in London, which inspired all this in the first place. I presume they'll have cops at the crossings handing out stiff penalties to people who cover up their plates. Maybe there will be some integration with EZPass but I'm not sure.