PDA

View Full Version : No personal accoutability anymore or common sense

T-Bird76
2008-04-02, 09:58 AM
Ok so I'm in rant kind of mood today..Everywhere you read its doom and gloom the economy is failing, housing is crashing and now the latest is the auto industry. We all have seen the ad's about approved credit when getting a car no matter your credit score and what not. Now however the auto industry is feeling the pinch.

However we blame everyone but our own bad choices...and here's an example from MSNBC.com.... Take note....the person they mention in this article is 27 and a Firefighter. Why is a 27 year old Firefighter leasing a BMW 5 series? Ok yes he is more then entitled to get w/e he wants but where is the common sense? Folks the fact is a 27 year old Firefighter can't afford a car like this! I can't afford a car like this and I bet I make twice if not three times the amount this guy does.

Phil and I were PMing about this....and Phil is right it’s GREED! Pure GREED! Yes we live in a free country and we can do w/e we wish and buy w/e we want but lets wake up! ppl open your eyes! Someone making 30k a year can't afford to buy a $700,000 house and a 27 year old civil servant can't afford a 5 series BMW those are the facts! We need to wake up fast my friends! We need to take responsibility for our own actions and not go and cry to the gov't for help when we **** up! The only ones who will fix the economy are the citizens of this country. The Gov't can pore billions into economy but that won't fix a thing if we don't change our behavior.

Auto sector feels pinch of credit crunch
Rising loan delinquencies could have affect on overall economy
By Roland Jones
Associate editor
updated 7:44 a.m. ET, Wed., April. 2, 2008
Driving a sporty car was nice, but with high gas prices and inflation pinching at his pocketbook, Jorge Valdes decided last October to get rid of his white BMW 525i sedan when the $700-a-month lease payments became too much to bear.

Valdes turned to LeaseTrader.com, an online service that allows one car lease owner to transfer it to another before it expires. He passed on the remaining 16 months of his 36-month lease to another driver, allowing him to lease a new, cheaper car and lower his monthly car payments.

“With gas and insurance I was paying over $1,000 a month to drive a vehicle and it didn’t make any sense,” said the 27-year-old firefighter who lives in Miami, Fla. my main reasons for getting rid of the lease,” he continued. “Gas prices are going through the roof and the economy isn’t getting any better; everyone hopes it will, but I don’t see it getting any better any time soon. There’s nothing out there that’s going to pick us up.”

wunaladreamin
2008-04-02, 10:18 AM
It's the new way of the world bro, whoever has the most toys wins. :roll:

jran225
2008-04-02, 11:24 AM
I completely agree. Very well said, Tommy!

Greets,
-Omar S.

mirrodie
2008-04-02, 01:08 PM
Ok yes he is more then entitled to get w/e he wants but where is the common sense? Folks the fact is a 27 year old Firefighter can't afford a car like this!

I agree people lack common sense. Its not something thats taught in schools and it may not have been taught at home.

People need to learn to live within their means and save.

Somehow I acquired this knowledge on my own. A car is a car, don't have to keep up with the Jones but unfortunately people are like that.

I recall when we were in house buying mode in 04, someone very close to me said "Buy the most you can afford. I felt this was bad advice. We bought what made sense and what would allow us to make ends meet if life threw changes at us.

I does annoy me that all these idiots that bought homes, under stupid pretenses, are somehow gonna get gov aid to help them. Shouldnt we all be entitled to that help?

Oh and dont even get me started on immigration. If I want financial aid for our kid, I have a better chance if I move to Mexico and sneak back in. With his newfound immigrant status, he's a shoe in for college!

:roll:

adam613
2008-04-02, 01:58 PM
However, the article is about someone who *decided* he couldn't afford his BMW 5-series and got a cheaper car instead. Most of the recent articles about the "credit crisis" are about someone who bought a $500,000 house on a $30k/year salary and now has no way out.

There's personal responsibility on all sides of the equation. Sure, most of us here know there's a certain level of car/house/telephoto lens we can afford at our respective salaries. But for every moron who is crying foul because he or she has a $500k house and a 50" TV and a Beemer on a $35k salary and now wants government handouts because his payments are going up, there's someone else who has a $500k house on a $35k salary because his bank insisted he could afford it. And his bank is now begging the government for a handout as well.

It is all motivated by greed, and it's at the point where it hurts even those who are responsible with their finances.

Midnight Mike
2008-04-02, 08:50 PM
Tommy

I brought this up before as well, people need to start taking responsibility for their own lives.

Look at this new political campaign ad from Hillary Clinton, she is saying that need do not need to take responsibility.

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XpaK-cGO9U[/youtube
Obama as well says that people are in this mess because of predatory loans, nonsense, biggest problem are people trying to buy crap that they can not afford.

T-Bird76
2008-04-02, 09:02 PM
I saw that ad tonight...she's a jackass... They both do have a point about what the banks did but you can't place blame on just one thing.

Midnight Mike
2008-04-02, 09:07 PM
I saw that ad tonight...she's a jackass... They both do have a point about what the banks did but you can't place blame on just one thing.

Tommy

I agree with you that the issue is very complex, but, Clinton & Obama would have you think that people signed their loan paperwork at gunpoint.

Lezam
2008-04-03, 03:35 PM
It is all motivated by greed, and it's at the point where it hurts even those who are responsible with their finances.

Thats the reason why america is where it is, and it wont get better. Were stuck in this for the longhaul, dont expect it to get better anytime soon unless the majority of americans wake up and smell the coffee. Almost everyone outside the us hates us, yet we keep appeasing them. Everyone has to be politically correct nowadays, its horrible. Imagine a country where when a lady spills coffee on herself, she can sue.

If america doesnt wake up soon, which I dont think it will, its going to go down hard. Remember, nothing lasts forever...

cancidas
2008-04-03, 08:32 PM
tommy, common sense is dead. the obit was in the times a few years ago. RIP...