PDA

View Full Version : Rules to be waived for border fence

Midnight Mike
2008-04-01, 02:40 PM
The Bush administration will use its authority to bypass more than 30 laws and regulations in an effort to finish building 670 miles of fence along the southwest U.S. border by the end of this year, federal officials said Tuesday.

Invoking the two legal waivers — which Congress authorized — will cut through bureaucratic red tape and sidestep environmental laws that currently stand in the way of the Homeland Security Department building 267 miles of fencing in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, according to officials familiar with the plan. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_ ... rder_fence (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_on_go_ot/border_fence)

adam613
2008-04-01, 02:43 PM
Yeah, good luck with that...

moose135
2008-04-01, 02:53 PM
What I want to know is how are they going to build a 670 mile fence without cheap, immigrant labor? :shock:

wunaladreamin
2008-04-01, 03:17 PM
What I want to know is how are they going to build a 670 mile fence without cheap, immigrant labor? :shock:
Touche.

T-Bird76
2008-04-01, 04:00 PM

Well Moose the fence will be built from the opposite side of the boarder so when its done the cheap immagrant labor will be stuck in Mexico. ;)

I'm not sure how I feel about the fence. We do need to stem the flow of Mexican's into the US but at the same time this fence is like the Berlin Wall to keep people from a better life. Ah it doesn't matter anyway...The American Union is on its way. In 100 years it will be The United States of MexiCan USMC

Matt Molnar
2008-04-01, 04:18 PM
I don't think the DHS has ever done anything for less than $Eleventy billion.

Tom_Turner
2008-04-02, 12:08 AM
Well, a fence is a fence.

Sure people will get around it to some extent, and it is a "simple" part of a solution and no solution in its own right. But it will stop or delay alot of folks, which seems to irritate people.

Pat Buchanan argued for a fence how many years ago? 10 years ago or was it 20 years ago? Everyone rolled their eyes... "That won't work", they said.

In the meantime, millions of illegal immigrants later, McCain/OBama and most of both their parties are hard at work figuring out how to give out driver's licenses to illegal aliens etc. The fact is, this country can *never* deport all the people here illegally already, because it is unable to do so, and so it would be advantageous to prevent millions more until it is determined just how good or bad a thing that is.

The "studies" continue however.... on both sides... :D

Did I mention we all must now show proof to our employers that we are not illegal when once we didn't? A lot of good thats done.

So, Now, all these years later, we will build a fence.

Tom