PDA

View Full Version : My Canon 100-400 repair details, a bit different from Erics

mirrodie
2008-03-28, 09:42 AM
OK, so like Eric and Matt, I had a problem with my lens. The front inner black ring, just inside the front aspect of the lens, was loose. Plus I felt maybe my shots were a bit soft but I want sure.

Rather than send it in, and on Matt's great advice, I had a day off and drove the lens into NJ. A family trip. I didnt want to ship it and have something happen, whereas if they ship it and something happens, its more an issue on their end.

Matt's advice was bring your other equipment as they clean it for you free.

So I got there, the estimate is below. They took my camera and attached lens and they kept it an hour while we went nearby to get lunch. Came back, picked up camera and short lens, all cleaned.

Got the 100-400 back today, will play with it this weekend. But its back.

Of interest, they gave me the estimate and charged me the amount upon arrival, without even really looking at the lens. YMMV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examination / Request Details:

Summary of Charges:

A loose element inside the lens, near the front. Also, pictures seems bit blurred now, perhaps as a result,CK ALL FUNCTIONS.
Parts
$ 0.00

Labor
$ 168.00

Service / Work Type:
Charge , Repair
Sub Total
$ 168.00

Equipment Received:
EF 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS
Sales Tax
$ 14.49

Serial #:
Shipping
$ 16.29

P.O.#:
&nbsp
Total Due
$ 198.78

Accessories Received:

F/R CAP FILTER COLLAR
&nbsp
This section should only be used when mailing or faxing your payment information. Please, do not reply to this email with credit card information.

Received:
March 20, 2008

Signature: ______________________________
Amount Due:
$ 198.78

Matt Molnar
2008-03-28, 11:43 AM
They charged you for shipping even though they didn't ship anything?

mirrodie
2008-03-28, 12:14 PM
I dropped off the lens and they ship it back Fedex overnight.

I forgot to add, like Eric, I'm slightly annoyed that they don;t tel you what was wrong and how they fixed it.

C'est la vie.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-29, 06:09 AM
I forgot to add, like Eric, I'm slightly annoyed that they don;t tel you what was wrong and how they fixed it.

What did they say when you asked?

AA 777
2008-03-29, 03:35 PM
I was also a little confused on how they don't tell you whats wrong with it. However, if it works when you get it back and all is well then I guess thats just as good!

Its really scary to think that I've had my 100-400/10D (over 50K pics on it) since May 2003 and never had any problems besides the ring issue with the 100-400 which I've read is a common problem. I think its a true testament to their equipment!! Lets hope my 40D has the same luck!!