PDA

View Full Version : Raw Eggs

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-24, 09:42 PM
Some of you are aware that, in order for me to maintain a high intake of protein with ease, that I eat raw eggs.

After the gym, 6 eggs. Before bed, sometimes 4 or so.

When trying to eat so much, cooking 6 or more meals is just not realistic or practical for me. Protein shakes give me the runs (tmi, I know).

People tell me it's gross, but I actually find it to be quite refreshing. It doesn't taste bad at all.

In regards to the threat of salmonella, the odds of that are very very low. In fact, the FDA did a study, searching for it in eggs. After cracking open 28,000, they didn't find even one.

Cholesterol can be an issue, but I counter that with a good intake of bran and oats, and I also am getting checked regularly to see spikes....that I've not yet seen at all.

Let me know if you have questions or want to tell me how gross I am. haha

hiss srq
2008-03-24, 09:53 PM
Some of you are aware that, in order for me to maintain a high intake of protein with ease, that I eat raw eggs.

After the gym, 6 eggs. Before bed, sometimes 4 or so.

When trying to eat so much, cooking 6 or more meals is just not realistic or practical for me. Protein shakes give me the runs (tmi, I know).

People tell me it's gross, but I actually find it to be quite refreshing. It doesn't taste bad at all.

In regards to the threat of salmonella, the odds of that are very very low. In fact, the FDA did a study, searching for it in eggs. After cracking open 28,000, they didn't find even one.

Cholesterol can be an issue, but I counter that with a good intake of bran and oats, and I also am getting checked regularly to see spikes....that I've not yet seen at all.

Let me know if you have questions or want to tell me how gross I am. haha

I bet you get "firm" results from the oats and bran. hahahha :borat:

flyboy 28
2008-03-24, 10:09 PM
I guess it's not that much different from eating a hard boiled egg. But the raw part gets me, mostly because my mom would never let me eat cake batter because of the threat of salmonella.

cancidas
2008-03-24, 10:22 PM
i remember you ordering like 8 eggs when we stopped for breakfast after the last concorde departure. i was sitting opposite art and ann and we all turned our heads when we heard that. damn dude, you're an animal!!

jran225
2008-03-25, 09:09 AM
Just protein shakes for me right now, though I will probably graduate to raw eggs eventually. Phil, how many grams of protein are there in 6 eggs?

Greets,
-Omar S.

adam613
2008-03-25, 09:22 AM
From what I understand, salmonella is mostly a concern for kids, old people, and people with immune system issues. Even if you did manage to get it, it wouldn't be much worse than your average stomach virus.

Eating raw eggs is still gross though. :P

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-25, 09:26 AM
There's about 6 grams per egg, which brings me to a quick 36g, which is ideal, as your body can't really digest more than 40g at a given time.

Shakes tend to affect my digestive system, and when I'm being "flushed out" like that, I lose out on my body receicving other nutrients and carbs that I need to make gains. I have a lot of catching up to do, and every meal counts.

Unless you're really on the run and don't have time or eggs, protein shakes will work well I think. But I will always rely on real food whenever I can.

This morning, I forgot to buy a carton of eggs for the office, so I was forced to have my first protein bar since I started working out again recently. I don't miss these things.

mirrodie
2008-03-25, 04:56 PM
You keep it up, you're gonna sounds like Rocky. Why do you think he's sounds like that?! :mrgreen:

Kidding.

I'll do them cooked, not raw. For overnight, I stick to chicken and/or low sugar, low carb shake.

No diarrhea cha cha cha, here. Sorry to hear you are the engineer on the gravy train.

Lezam
2008-03-25, 05:28 PM
Friend of mine got salmonella a few weeks back, be careful

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-25, 05:29 PM

From raw eggs?

Nick
2008-03-25, 05:37 PM
I started eating egg whites with turkey on whole wheat recently, it definitely takes some adjusting, to eat healthy.

wunaladreamin
2008-03-25, 05:39 PM
Yeah man, be careful. Nobody likes a guy with mud-butt or bubble-gut.

USAF Pilot 07
2008-03-26, 07:16 PM
Black Powder before workouts and Muscle Milk after workouts is what I do... I've just recently (about 6 weeks ago) started hitting the gym again hard, and have noticed significant results in that short amount of time.

Lots of chicken, tuna, egg whites etc... during the day helps with decent protein intake... Kashi cereal with skim milk for breakfast (about 645AM) (lots of fiber which has been shown to do help lose fat), a kashi or smart one bar around 930AM, and then salad (balsamic vinagrette) or wrap for lunch (around 12). Come home, drink some black powder and hit the gym by 4 or 5 until 6 or 7 and then muscle milk with maybe tuna over brown rice or something pretty light for dinner... Not a huge fan of eating after 7, but sometimes it happens, can't really starve myself...

I would think that if you were going to do raw eggs, I'd separate the yolks out and just drink the egg whites straight... You may get a little less protein overall, but would definitely eliminate a ton of cholesterol...

Cholesterol can also be counteracted with fish oils which contail Omega-3 fatty acids. GNC has started carrying odorless/tasteless pills, and many products (such as Tropicana OJ) has started incorporating some of this in their products.

mirrodie
2008-03-26, 08:48 PM
Or, as I recently learned, throw your omega 3 fatty acid pills in the freezer. Eliminates fishy burbs.

Lezam
2008-03-26, 09:31 PM

From raw eggs?

Not sure... but the department of health came over and made a whole big deal about it