PDA

View Full Version : Tips to reduce chromatic abberation

kc2aqg
2008-03-24, 12:57 PM
Hi All-

So I've just learned that chromatic abberation is and am looking for what your advice is to reduce the effect. I have been shooting aperture priority between F8 and F12 at ISO100, but when you zoom into the picture you can see the distortion. My buddy who's big into photography suggested shooting shutter-priority at a faster shutter speed ala 1/500 or faster, but I'm worried about losing some of picture quality you get when shooting in Av. My buddy also said that ultimately it's the quality of the lens since it's a kit lens 75-300mm and that this effect probably would be less apparent with some higher-quality glass. What do you all think and how have you overcome this problem?

adam613
2008-03-24, 02:39 PM
The only way to prevent chromatic aberration is to buy more expensive glass. It's a fact of life with cheap telephoto lenses, and it occurs in pictures mostly near high-contrast edges (ie the edge of a well-lit airplane against a blue sky).

Until you can afford a better lens, best to fix it in Photoshop. There are two sliders to repair CA on the Lens Corrections panel in Camera Raw.