PDA

View Full Version : Some Kind of Southwest + ATA Deal Coming Soon?

Matt Molnar
2008-03-18, 10:54 AM
It was announced yesterday that the CEO of ATA's parent company, Global Aero Logistics, Subodh Karnik, has stepped down. His replacement, John Denison, was formerly Southwest's CFO, and is apparently close with Southwest's current boss.

*wink* *wink*, *nudge* *nudge*?

lijk604
2008-03-18, 11:00 AM
They already code-share, what else could be in store?

Matt Molnar
2008-03-18, 11:01 AM
Some kind of international service.

T-Bird76
2008-03-18, 11:13 AM
Denison has been running ATA snice they came out of chap 11. Plus it has been rumored that ATA will be providing intl service for WN. WN has already upgraded their systems to accept intl reservations.

Matt Molnar
2008-03-18, 11:21 AM
With North American also recently ditching their scheduled services, perhaps they would be involved as well.

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-18, 11:24 AM
Denison is only the interim CEO. I should apply for that vacant position! haha

Though I've heard nothing of the sort, I personally can see some sort of WN international feeder service with ATA, or even NAA. But I don't think this would happen anytime soon. GAL is still restructuring the three airlines and is not ready to take on something of that magnitude.

Military charters bring in so much money, that obligating that much of your fleet to WN would ruin profit potential. Maybe in a couple of years, especially if we get a Democrat in the White House that starts to pull out of Iraq, slowing down the amount of troop movements.

Alex T
2008-03-18, 12:20 PM
Internally from what I am hearing unless ATA liquidates, files CH 11 again or something drastic..
ATA is flying intl flights for Southwest Airlines in the effect of codesharing effective 2009.

WN will begin selling the flights in late 2008 or so. As tom mentioned WN has just finished the program that allows for intl codesharing/booking, and are currently releasing it into the stations one by one. AMA was the first station to receive it, and TUL and CRP are supposed to follow if they haven't gotten the new booking system already.

Alex

Matt Molnar
2008-03-18, 12:44 PM
Based on those airports, I guess it's safe to assume they'll be shuttling migrants back and forth to Mexico?

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-18, 01:50 PM
For Mexico flights, I don't think WN would NEED ATA to run those, since those flights are so close to their existing stations in....the Southwest.

Alex T
2008-03-18, 02:25 PM
For Mexico flights, I don't think WN would NEED ATA to run those, since those flights are so close to their existing stations in....the Southwest.

I notice a slight pause there Phil :P :P

Alex

Matt Molnar
2008-03-18, 03:06 PM
I thought Southwest was averse to flying their own planes outside of the US for some reason or other.

LGA777
2008-03-18, 03:29 PM
With the price of fuel I have to wonder if the parent company of World, NOA,and ATA isn't looking at combining operations into 2 instead of 3 carriers, with ATA being the most likely brand to dissapear.

Just my 2 cents

LGA777

nwafan20
2008-03-19, 10:07 PM
Wait..... I thought it was a sure-fire thing that WN and AA were going to merge!!! WHAT GIVES???? :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2008-04-17, 05:27 PM
I guess nothing will happen now with WN and ATA ;)