PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: 787 Could Be Delayed Another 6 Months

Matt Molnar
2008-03-07, 01:11 PM
Reuters:

More delays to come on Boeing's 787 - analyst (http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSN0730593420080307)
Fri Mar 7, 2008 9:34am EST

NEW YORK, March 7 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) probably won't deliver its first 787 Dreamliner until July next year at the earliest, a Goldman Sachs analyst said on Friday, potentially adding another six-month delay onto the troubled program, which is already nine months behind schedule.

Airlines are still enthusiastic about Boeing's new carbon-composite plane, which promises to cut fuel costs by 20 percent, but some are starting to show impatience with slow progress on the aircraft, which was originally set to enter service in May this year.

"We now think deliveries will start in the third quarter of 2009 versus the current 'early' 2009 target," wrote Goldman Sachs analyst Richard Safran in a report issued on Friday. [Full article (http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSN0730593420080307)]

Midnight Mike
2008-03-08, 10:28 AM
Oh gawd no, I really hope not, delays of this type are going to piss off the customers.....

cancidas
2008-03-08, 12:11 PM
i'd love to know who these "anaalists" and so-called "experts" really are. do they have a backgroung in transport-category composite airplanes? seriously now, no airplane of this size has ever been built of composites... they're building a brand new airplane in a way that has never been done before. it's going take time to get it built in a way that's gonna work. it's not like a lego set ya know...

PhilDernerJr
2008-03-08, 12:22 PM
Whether the analysts have an understanding of the industry doesn't really matter. If it is in fact going to be delayed further, it will hurt the company badly no matter what people know or don't know.

I just wonder if these guys are actually on point or just trying to create a stir. I hope they are wrong.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-08, 01:19 PM
i'd love to know who these "anaalists" and so-called "experts" really are. do they have a backgroung in transport-category composite airplanes? seriously now, no airplane of this size has ever been built of composites... they're building a brand new airplane in a way that has never been done before. it's going take time to get it built in a way that's gonna work. it's not like a lego set ya know...

If the 787 is delayed, for a 3rd time, it does not matter how complex the aircraft is, it was Boeing that put together the delivery schedule with no pressure from outside forces, a delay is a delay......

Midnight Mike
2008-03-10, 10:02 PM
Goldman Sachs: 787 faces additional three-month delay

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=12005

Monday March 10, 2008

Rumors of further delays to the first flight of the 787 gained momentum Friday as Goldman Sachs indicated the world may have to wait at least an additional three months.

In a client note, GS analyst Richard Safran said, "Our sources indicate 787 power-on, scheduled for March end, may be delayed until the end of June. First flight, expected three months after power-on, may be further delayed. We now think deliveries will start in the third quarter of 2009 versus the current 'early '09' target."

Midnight Mike
2008-03-10, 10:02 PM
Goldman Sachs: 787 faces additional three-month delay

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=12005

Monday March 10, 2008

Rumors of further delays to the first flight of the 787 gained momentum Friday as Goldman Sachs indicated the world may have to wait at least an additional three months.

In a client note, GS analyst Richard Safran said, "Our sources indicate 787 power-on, scheduled for March end, may be delayed until the end of June. First flight, expected three months after power-on, may be further delayed. We now think deliveries will start in the third quarter of 2009 versus the current 'early '09' target."

Matt Molnar
2008-03-10, 11:04 PM
On the bright side, that's the same Goldman Sachs report cited in the original post, so this isn't more bad news. :)

I don't understand why Boeing seems to be pushing such seemingly unrealistic development schedules. Experts have been questioning the 787's sched since early on, and word is the USAF was uncomfortable with the quick turnaround Boeing planned for the KC-X. They've apparently never heard the adage "under promise, over deliver." I understand they only get paid when they deliver a finished product, but why risk alienating customers? Why rush development of a plane that's never flown? Why not take some extra time to ensure problems are ironed out before delivery? And think of all the problems they could potentially run in to once they finally get the thing in the air!

Matt Molnar
2008-03-10, 11:04 PM
On the bright side, that's the same Goldman Sachs report cited in the original post, so this isn't more bad news. :)

I don't understand why Boeing seems to be pushing such seemingly unrealistic development schedules. Experts have been questioning the 787's sched since early on, and word is the USAF was uncomfortable with the quick turnaround Boeing planned for the KC-X. They've apparently never heard the adage "under promise, over deliver." I understand they only get paid when they deliver a finished product, but why risk alienating customers? Why rush development of a plane that's never flown? Why not take some extra time to ensure problems are ironed out before delivery? And think of all the problems they could potentially run in to once they finally get the thing in the air!

Matt Molnar
2008-03-10, 11:38 PM
ANA Demands Boeing 787 Delivery Plan (http://business.smh.com.au/airline-demands-boeing-787-delivery-plan/20080310-1yeo.html)

March 10, 2008 - 2:34PM

All Nippon Airways, the first customer for Boeing's 787 plane, has demanded that the plane maker provide a delivery schedule for the twice-delayed aircraft by the end of this month, on which it will base compensation claims.

All Nippon, with 50 of Boeing's 787 planes on order, is expanding its fleet by 15% and needs the aircraft to fly new international routes in 2010, Osamu Shinobe, the head of the airline's 787 program, said.

All Nippon is expanding flights to India and China as it loses domestic passengers to a discount rival. The Tokyo-based airline will be forced to use older, less fuel-efficient aircraft that it had planned to retire because Boeing has fallen about eight months behind schedule. [Full Article (http://business.smh.com.au/airline-demands-boeing-787-delivery-plan/20080310-1yeo.html)]

Matt Molnar
2008-03-10, 11:38 PM
ANA Demands Boeing 787 Delivery Plan (http://business.smh.com.au/airline-demands-boeing-787-delivery-plan/20080310-1yeo.html)

March 10, 2008 - 2:34PM

All Nippon Airways, the first customer for Boeing's 787 plane, has demanded that the plane maker provide a delivery schedule for the twice-delayed aircraft by the end of this month, on which it will base compensation claims.

All Nippon, with 50 of Boeing's 787 planes on order, is expanding its fleet by 15% and needs the aircraft to fly new international routes in 2010, Osamu Shinobe, the head of the airline's 787 program, said.

All Nippon is expanding flights to India and China as it loses domestic passengers to a discount rival. The Tokyo-based airline will be forced to use older, less fuel-efficient aircraft that it had planned to retire because Boeing has fallen about eight months behind schedule. [Full Article (http://business.smh.com.au/airline-demands-boeing-787-delivery-plan/20080310-1yeo.html)]

Midnight Mike
2008-03-11, 12:29 AM

I have no idea what Boeing is thinking or for that matter Airbus, when they tried to do the same thing with their A380 & the chaos surrounding the A350, which is not done yet.

In the old days, Boeing was very conservative, with the 787, they aimed for the moon & we believed Boeing, since they had a respectable track record, ,now, who the hell knows.....

Midnight Mike
2008-03-11, 12:29 AM

I have no idea what Boeing is thinking or for that matter Airbus, when they tried to do the same thing with their A380 & the chaos surrounding the A350, which is not done yet.

In the old days, Boeing was very conservative, with the 787, they aimed for the moon & we believed Boeing, since they had a respectable track record, ,now, who the hell knows.....

Matt Molnar
2008-03-16, 04:41 PM
Reuters:

Boeing's 787 delivery delayed until Q3 2009 - report
March 16, 2008: 02:41 PM EST

FRANKFURT, Mar. 16, 2008 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- Boeing (NYSE:BA) Co's planned delivery of its new B787 Dreamliner aircraft will be delayed more than expected, until the third quarter of 2009, Focus magazine reported, without citing sources.

This latest delay is due to problems with the installation of wiring throughout the planes, the magazine said.

The company plans to issue an updated schedule for delivery by the end of this month, it said.

Midnight Mike
2008-03-16, 05:42 PM
The 3rd quarter of 2009?!?! Good gawd

Matt Molnar
2008-03-16, 05:52 PM
Well, not good, but not worse than what the Goldman Sachs report said about "July at the earliest" since July is the first month of Q3.

T-Bird76
2008-03-16, 06:16 PM
Wow it looks like the 787 and the A350 will be in service at the same time at this rate, ;) I'm sure the A350 will suffer from similar delays, nature of the beast I'm afraid.

h2opunk1822
2008-03-16, 07:42 PM
Honestly at this rate.. im looking more forward to seeing the new G650 then the 787.. im starting to loose interest in this a/c.. or maybe its just my patience