PDA

View Full Version : Laser Light Into SkyFox Cockpit By FRG Tonight

Gerard
2008-03-05, 08:41 PM
Was working on my computer tonite around 7PM with my scanner nearby when all of a sudden I hear a helo pilot talking to FRG Tower about someone shining a laser light into their cockpit. It was N5NY which is the Channel 5 SkyFox ENG copter. They were working an assignment in the area and some moron was playing around with them. Well since this was no "ordinary" copter they began orbiting the area using their on board equipment to get a better location for the "perp". From what I heard it was in the area of Marilyn (Street?) and Julius (Lane?). Not sure where that was but they sure did. Finally they departed back to NYC around 7:20 thanking the tower for all their help and advising they had no injuries on board. The pilot gave them a number to keep in touch with them. Hopefully Nassaus' Finest can find this clown.
Wonder if this has happened to aircraft around that area in the past?

USAF Pilot 07
2008-03-05, 09:40 PM
Happens a lot more than people think...

Biggest mistake is to look outside for the source when you are being lazed.

T-Bird76
2008-03-05, 10:11 PM
What kind of laser are these people using? Certainly not a simple laser pointer you can pick up at like Staples? I couldn't imagine a laser like that could even be noticed that high up.

Derf
2008-03-05, 10:17 PM
that is what the people on the ground usually think....they can not see the lazer hitting the helicopter, so it must not reach.....

That is almost always what they are using Tom, simple laser pointer :borat:
Great fun until a laser crashes a plane or copter.

Gerard
2008-03-05, 11:23 PM
>Biggest mistake is to look outside for the source when you are being lazed.>

For a regular aircraft but with their Ciniflex HiDef HD camera system with zoom capabilities they can read a license
plate from thousands of feet away.