PDA

View Full Version : To the other side of the world...

SoPictureThis
2008-03-05, 02:56 AM
...SOUTH AFRICA!!!!! My friend and I have decided to take a break this summer and visit our good friend who is studying abroad in Capetown. He'll be on winter break when we visit, so the 3 of us will have loads of time to go on adventures and explore much of the area.

I've realized it'd be best to use 75,000 of my 156,813 AAmiles, since airfare to this part of the world is wildly expensive. So, this'll be an AA/BA trip... (I really wish Oneworld was comprised of some more interesting airlines, besides of course, the ever- glorious, Finnair.) The following is my itinerary:

outbound:

June 24
AA #142 (JFK-LHR) DAYLIGHT FLIGHT
B777-200

June 26
BA #57 (LHR-JNB)
B747-400

June 27
BA #6409 (JNB-CPT)
B737-400

return:

July 9
BA #58 (CPT-LHR)
B747-400

July 10
AA #141 (LHR-JFK)
B777-200

I'm really looking forward to this one, but, it hasn't really registered quite yet in my mind. Tomorrow (Thursday) evening I'll be heading overseas as well, to photograph the countryside of Romania for 10 days. What a great year of travel this has been so far, and will become!! :D :D :D

ciao ciao,

jMay

HPNPilot1200
2008-03-05, 09:29 AM
I think you'll have a really great time. My dad's fiancé is from South Africa and she has shown me some breath taking pictures of the landscapes there. Though not as bad in Capetown as in Johannesburg, crime is still a major issue so you always have to watch your back.

In any event, sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy and be safe.

Lezam
2008-03-05, 10:03 AM
South Africa is a really beautiful place, hope you enjoy your trip! How long is the ride there, it looks like that route's gonna take you all day :)

Matt Molnar
2008-03-05, 11:04 AM
Sounds like fun, Josh. I've been on AA142, kinda weird leaving New York early in the morning and then a few hours later you're landing in the dark.

SoPictureThis
2008-03-05, 12:01 PM
Sounds like fun, Josh. I've been on AA142, kinda weird leaving New York early in the morning and then a few hours later you're landing in the dark.

Aah, I'm very used to it by now. I always take AA #2 (aka the Josh May express) when I return to NYC from LA. It's a day of travel from sunrise-sunset basically...but, that aside....I believe I'd be landing at LHR with a good amount of light out at 8:30pm on June 24. I think the sun sets around 9:30pm during that time of year! It'd be neat to get some wing shots passing over the Thames in some golden lighting conditions. 8)

South Africa is a really beautiful place, hope you enjoy your trip! How long is the ride there, it looks like that route's gonna take you all day :)

Well, JFK-LHR is 7 hours and London-South Africa is about 11 hrs. That's why we've decided to break it up with a 2 night stay in London before heading down. Unfortunately, though, the return legs will be done continously! Eek! :|

- jMay