PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Building

Speedbird1
2008-02-22, 10:26 AM
I was up on my roof yesterday adjusting my TV antenna. I live in the Sheepshead Bay area of Brooklyn. I get a great view of the City and aircraft from there. I can clearly see the JFK Tower. When I look to the far right of the Tower, about 5 miles to the southeast of the Tower, I see a slender, tall white building. Unfortunately, I have no binoculars so I can't see the edifice clearly. There appears to be a bump on the top. Could this be a water tower in Nassau County that I am seeing? What else could it be? Are water towers painted all-white? It appears to be around 100 feet tall. What could it be? Thanks.

RDU-JFK
2008-02-22, 01:53 PM
I was up on my roof yesterday adjusting my TV antenna. I live in the Sheepshead Bay area of Brooklyn. I get a great view of the City and aircraft from there. I can clearly see the JFK Tower. When I look to the far right of the Tower, about 5 miles to the southeast of the Tower, I see a slender, tall white building. Unfortunately, I have no binoculars so I can't see the edifice clearly. There appears to be a bump on the top. Could this be a water tower in Nassau County that I am seeing? What else could it be? Are water towers painted all-white? It appears to be around 100 feet tall. What could it be? Thanks.
Glad to hear of another Brooklynite here...I'm in Midwood. Sheepshead Bay is awesome! Are you by Emmons Avenue?

Anyways it sounds like a water tower if its Nassau County although it might be something in Rockaway?

adam613
2008-02-22, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear of another Brooklynite here...I'm in Midwood. Sheepshead Bay is awesome! Are you by Emmons Avenue?

There are a few of us around here...I'm in Windsor Terrace.

Speedbird1
2008-02-22, 02:20 PM
It's called Sheepshead Bay but I'm in the Ave U area. In any case, we get a good view of JFK arrivals to 13L and 31L departures. Sadly for us, most of the European inbounds are vectored through Nassau County for a visual approach to 22L. Rarely, do European inbounds use the 13L approach. We are only in luck when 22L is closed. We mostly get inbounds from Jet Blue, American, Delta, etc. from the south and west.

cancidas
2008-02-22, 03:16 PM

There are a few of us around here...I'm in Windsor Terrace.

greenpoint local here!