PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Stained Glass Begins at American's JFK Terminal

Matt Molnar
2008-02-20, 08:33 PM
AP, via 1010WINS:

Too Large and Expensive, JFK Airport Stained Glass Coming Down (http://www.1010wins.com/JFK-Airport-Stained-Glass-Coming-Down/1690756)
Posted: Wednesday, 20 February 2008 6:02PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- It was called the longest window in the world when its red, sapphire and purple panels were unveiled to airport travelers in 1960. Artists called the window -- longer than a football field and more than 20 feet high -- one of the most important stained-glass works in the U.S.

But American Airlines quietly began dismantling the window's 900 panels last week at its old John F. Kennedy International Airport terminal, after years of debate and pleas by employees and artists to find a way to keep the abstract, multicolored piece intact.[Read more... (http://www.1010wins.com/JFK-Airport-Stained-Glass-Coming-Down/1690756)

wunaladreamin
2008-02-20, 08:51 PM
That's a crime, but how could anyone transport and display the entire piece at a not so astronomical cost?

emshighway
2008-02-20, 09:17 PM
I told the AA project manager to bring some over to the CTB D concourse at LGA for the new American Checkpoint.

mirrodie
2008-02-20, 09:19 PM
ITs really sad. I just persued the article Matt. So many ideas with what could have been done. At least I guess its better than keychains as once suggested :roll:

Art at ISP
2008-02-20, 09:35 PM
Sad indeed. It does appear that part of it is going to the Cradle of Aviation though.....

Too bad no one could take the whole thing. Would have made a nice facade at the Cradle

FlyingColors
2008-02-22, 01:38 PM
Sad indeed. It does appear that part of it is going to the Cradle of Aviation though.....

Too bad no one could take the whole thing. Would have made a nice facade at the Cradle

You are so right.
What a waste!

Matt Molnar
2008-02-22, 01:45 PM
Very narrow sighted on AA's part. Yes it may have cost $1 million to move them, but they would have gotten that back 10-fold in the value of positive press they would have received. Could have featured it on an episode of Dirty Jobs or something.

Nonstop2AUH
2008-02-22, 03:24 PM
I doubt if 48 years from now, any part of the new AA terminal will be considered artwork! But again, we must remind ourselves that this is just a business, and mostly a commoditized one at that. No matter how much we all care about it, is essentially about pushing people through a system while trying to make money. The glamor of the '60s that the stained glass represented has been gone a long time. People don't want art in their terminal, they want electronic check-in kiosks and Starbucks. It's sad some re-use couldn't be found for this, but I'm sure 90% of AA's customers and 100% of its shareholders could care less.